Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Is it Me or It?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
ricdic   
Tue Sep 15 2015, 11:42am
Member No: #1675
There is no doubt the C6 is a great vehicle but there are 2 things I have not found that used to be on many other lesser cars.

There is a reasonable chance that it is me and old age that is the problem but if someone can assist then that will be appreciated.

The first thing I cannot find is a button to open the boot from within the vehicle.

The second is a method of listening to the radio/CD when stationary without having the engine running.
C6Dave   
Tue Sep 15 2015, 11:51am

Member No: #1
1. There isn't one I'm afraid, apart from the emergency release where you have to crawl into the boot and poke it with a screwdriver (all in the owner handbook)

2. Not really as the car will go into ' economy mode' to protect the battery. You could rewire the radio to utilise a permanent live rather than a switched one but it's not recommended.
Website
Tjensen   
Tue Sep 15 2015, 12:42pm
Member No: #954
The second problem has a solution that is a compromise: Just push the main "on" buttom after engine is turned off. It will play , but limited by a) time (15 min ???) and/or b) decreasing level of energy in the battery (always saving for new starts !), the economy mode. If you are restrsicted by a), just press the button again.

The second problem is possible just something they forgot, together with the level-warnings for coolant and LDS
321dave   
Tue Sep 15 2015, 04:16pm
Member No: #614
Tjensen wrote ...

The second problem has a solution that is a compromise: Just push the main "on" buttom after engine is turned off. It will play , but limited by a) time (15 min ???) and/or b) decreasing level of energy in the battery (always saving for new starts !), the economy mode. If you are restrsicted by a), just press the button again.

The second problem is possible just something they forgot, together with the level-warnings for coolant and LDS

That's right, lexis can activate the boot release from its menus, all you need is some sort of spring to push it open. I believe the Peugeot 607 has an electric open/close boot option as well, and I think it's the same latch - Click Here -

ricdic   
Tue Sep 15 2015, 10:57pm
Member No: #1675
Yes I knew about the 15 minutes of music and then off again - other cars I have owned had an accessories position on the key switch just for this purpose.

With the boot lock - it is electric and so it would have been very simple to have a switch that just opened it - like the fuel cap.

I do wonder how such simple things get overlooked when building something that has been being built for years - you would think there is a basic list like wheels, seats ..... accessories enable, boot open switch that others have so this one should too.

Oh well just have to enjoy the good bits and manage without the oversights!
Cisco   
Wed Sep 16 2015, 06:36am
Member No: #1429
If those are your only problems with the C6 some might envy your situation
e3steve   
Wed Sep 16 2015, 06:45am
Member No: #1163
321dave wrote ...

That's right, Lexia can activate the boot release from its menus, all you need is some sort of spring to push it open. I believe the Peugeot 607 has an electric open/close boot option as well, and I think it's the same latch

That's a powered opener/closer, Dave; slightly different. (My elder [34] daughter loves my Six, and driving it, but continually rips me because her Q5 has powered opening and Six doesn't!).

The other (very annoying) thing is that the Pug has a powered rear window blind, á la Merc; another C6 omission...
e3steve   
Wed Sep 16 2015, 07:02am
Admin Dave wrote ...
... You could rewire the radio to utilise a permanent live rather than a switched one but it's not recommended.
'Tis my intention, during October and when staying at the outlaws' place in the French middle-of-nowhere, to locate the "key in" trigger and look into installing a relay and moving the Navidrive/entertainment 12V feed. This would, of course, need to be carried out with caution in order to not upset the balance of the CANbus and, also, it would possibly override the Economy Mode timer*.

I'll keep you all in the loop as to how I get on and, if it's successful, post a tutorial...

*I've never left the key in for long enough to see if that action invokes the timer. I'm guessing it might, as the suspension pump continues to maintain pressure whilst the key is in the ignition lock. Once again, we'll see...
Tjensen   
Wed Sep 16 2015, 10:00am
Member No: #954
I have wondered if the strange omissions in the C6 can have something to do with the capacity of the CAN-bus ?
verycleverman   
Wed Sep 16 2015, 10:19am
Member No: #65
For me, the lack of a boot release is not an issue; you have to go round to the boot to put things in/take things out anyway - why not just open it when you get there?

The biggest omission, in my opinion, is the clear plastic clip on the inside of the windscreen for parking tickets etc. It was fitted to most Citroens until the mid 2000s then was discontinued. A cheap, but very useful, accessory needlessly withdrawn.

Pete.
321dave   
Wed Sep 16 2015, 12:32pm
e3steve wrote ...

321dave wrote ...

That's right, Lexia can activate the boot release from its menus, all you need is some sort of spring to push it open. I believe the Peugeot 607 has an electric open/close boot option as well, and I think it's the same latch

That's a powered opener/closer, Dave; slightly different. (My elder [34] daughter loves my Six, and driving it, but continually rips me because her Q5 has powered opening and Six doesn't!).

The other (very annoying) thing is that the Pug has a powered rear window blind, á la Merc; another C6 omission...

Hi Steve,
true, I knew about the powered open/closing though. But what I was thinking of was more of a simpler version of the standard pop open boot release, you know the ones you get in most german cars. Your right though, the peuqeots 607 rear blind is a lovely mechanism, up there with the C6 cupholders!! which we all love.

I think part of the problem is that my boot release rubber switch button is not great, it needs a good squeeze to trigger the lock to open.

Is there a mechanical mechanism under the rubber switch/lever that has some form of linkage to the lock or is it an electrical switch with wires dropping down to the boot lock?

321dave   
Wed Sep 16 2015, 12:40pm
verycleverman wrote ...

For me, the lack of a boot release is not an issue; you have to go round to the boot to put things in/take things out anyway - why not just open it when you get there?

The biggest omission, in my opinion, is the clear plastic clip on the inside of the windscreen for parking tickets etc. It was fitted to most Citroens until the mid 2000s then was discontinued. A cheap, but very useful, accessory needlessly withdrawn.

Pete.

Hi Pete,
I miss it to! it was great for holding parking tickets. Ah well, my last Citroen C5III didnt get it idir. I think its gone since the first C5II model in 2005. But I naturally stand corrected.

e3steve   
Wed Sep 16 2015, 03:13pm
321dave wrote ...

Is there a mechanical mechanism under the rubber switch/lever that has some form of linkage to the lock or is it an electrical switch with wires dropping down to the boot lock?

'Tis just a switch, Dave. It's wired into the CANbus so that it's defeated when the vehicle is locked.
321dave   
Wed Sep 16 2015, 05:27pm
e3steve wrote ...

321dave wrote ...

'Tis just a switch, Dave. It's wired into the CANbus so that it's defeated when the vehicle is locked.

Thanks Steve, I must investigate that area a bit further. Any idea when the electric steering columns were introduced for the C6s and would it be possible to retro fit one to an older C6. All this with or without features prompted me to think about the change to the steering column as well? I seem to remember that was another early mild critism about features that were missing that were present in the 607.
Hattershaun   
Wed Sep 16 2015, 05:59pm
Member No: #320
Electric steering column adjustment was introduced from November 2007, along with new Sat Nav (RT4).

I'd have thought there's a lot involved in retro fitting the electric column, hardware, column/switches/wiring loom, then making sure the electronic are integrated into the car's systems.
Seems a lot to do, when most people set the column's position once, then leave it alone.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club