Author Post
ststech   
Mon Aug 17 2015, 01:55am
Member No: #1845
has anyone experienced issues removing the front bumper
with seized bolts and screws ?
i have to remove mine to replace the ac condensor
but am worried the bolts and screws will snap,

has anyone removed front bumper without this happening or have they had bolts snap, if so how did you get round the problem?
Website
josok   
Fri Mar 17 2017, 09:42pm
Member No: #1222
Following the document "removing-refitting : front bumper, everything logical and it's almost done but:
Remove: the bonnet stops (5) unclip
I don't understand how to "unclip" sorry.
Anybody with rescuing answer?

Groetjes,
Jos
e3steve   
Sat Mar 18 2017, 10:50am
Member No: #1163
josok wrote ...

Following the document "removing-refitting : front bumper, everything logical and it's almost done but:
Remove: the bonnet stops (5) unclip
I don't understand how to "unclip" sorry.
Anybody with rescuing answer?

Groetjes,
Jos

Hei Jos,

The bonnet stops -- one each side, next to each headlamp -- are each held in place with three 'barbs' (clips) which are arranged 120-degrees around the stops' circumference. "Unclip" simply means "release the clip". The 'stops' are really 'buffers' (or 'bump-stops').

Pull upwards on a buffer, then, with a small, flat-blade screwdriver, press each barb (clip), one at a time, inwards towards the centre.

josok   
Mon Mar 20 2017, 02:41pm
Still struggling. Are there different stops around? This one can't be lifted a single millimeter, and i don't see tabs sorry
Groetjes,
Jos

321dave   
Mon Mar 20 2017, 06:50pm
Member No: #614
Hi josok,
a simliar example to the one you need to remove. This is what the clips look like on the end of the bump stop below. You just need to pry those little plastic clips on the end together and then pull it up. A bit of practice is usually needed but then it not to bad. Best of luck.
gmerry   
Tue Mar 21 2017, 09:34am
Member No: #21
Jos, last time I removed these, I recall I just "unscrewed" them with a bit of upwards pressure (by hand).

regards
e3steve   
Tue Mar 21 2017, 10:17am
josok wrote ...

Still struggling. Are there different stops around? This one can't be lifted a single millimeter, and i don't see tabs sorry
Groetjes,
Jos

Well Jos, that one is sheared, so you won't need to remove it in order to get the bumper off! The only reason for removing the buffers is so that the bumper's black portion -- the top panel -- can be pulled forwards.

That image doesn't look right; can you take a picture from a bit farther back?
e3steve   
Tue Mar 21 2017, 10:28am

cruiserphil   
Tue Mar 21 2017, 02:27pm

Member No: #38
Jos,

You need to unscrew the rubber stop out of the base first and then release the base as per e3Steve and 321Dave.
Remove the remaining black clips (4 off I think?). Then remove both forward front wheel arch liners. There is a 10mm a/f bolt to remove at the top of the wheel arch on both sides. Forward of each wheel arch the bumper is clipped to two plastic brackets held in with 4 x 8mm a/f flange nuts. I prefer to remove the nuts as the brackets then fall off when removing the bumper and avoid breaking the clips fitted to the bumper. Then release the electrical plugs on both sides and the windscreen washer tank (have a container at hand!). Then pull the bumper forward to release.

Hope this helps,

Phil C.
josok   
Tue Mar 21 2017, 07:44pm
Thank you all very much for your concern The manual is wrong, or things have changed somewhere. It is not needed to remove the stops at all. The upper plate can be bent a little bit and moved over the stops in place. Under the bumper are numerous guidance lips, and these are very persistent when dirty. That was the reason the upper part would not come off, at least not easy.
Comparing your pictures i noticed how dirty my car is. The excuse is 345.000 km on the counter. Next job is to start cleaning, also under the hood this time.
The prime reason to remove the bumper however was to get easier access to the hydro pump retaining nuts. The right one, when looking under the car, is very difficult to access without removing the stiffnes regulator completely. Removing the bumper did not help. Other opinions are welcome of course!
I will try to explain the hydro adventures later
Groetjes,
Jos
e3steve   
Tue Mar 21 2017, 10:11pm
josok wrote ...

...The manual is wrong, or things have changed somewhere. It is not needed to remove the stops at all. The upper plate can be bent a little bit and moved over the stops in place....
It is necessary to remove them, as the slam-panel cover -- the black portion with the apertures that fit over the buffers -- cannot be successfully removed forwards when said buffers are intact. At least, not without bending or breaking something unnecessarily! Like the buffers threaded portions themselves...

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club