Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ped   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 05:34pm
Member No: #82
Interesting thread here

- Click Here -

It would seem they are required when using run flat tires, but not sure otherwise; I don't think it's been set in stone. Totally agree with the poster who says 'The MOT is a roadworthiness test, not a "check all OEM functions are present and functioning correctly test". There's a distinct difference'

smorphet   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 07:14pm
Member No: #88
Hmm. I'd been thinking about investing in some winter wheels and tyres before it gets cold again. The need to fiddle about with pressure sensors is all a bit off-putting. I'd thought I could just disable the sensors completely, but that may not be an option with this new MOT rule. Now it sounds like I'll have to enable/disable the system, or reregister a different set of sensors, every time I change the wheels.

verycleverman   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 11:07pm
Member No: #65
Ped wrote ...

Interesting thread here

- Click Here -

It would seem they are required when using run flat tires, but not sure otherwise; I don't think it's been set in stone. Totally agree with the poster who says 'The MOT is a roadworthiness test, not a "check all OEM functions are present and functioning correctly test". There's a distinct difference'

I read the above thread with interest. Such a lot of bile and bitterness. Let's take another component which is subject to scrutiny on the MOT. I remember the controversy and opposition when the seatbelt was made compulsory. They had been a requirement on new cars from, if I remember correctly, the mid sixties. When the wearing was made compulsory, several years later, the argument was that it should be a matter of personal choice, (nowadays, of course, it would infringe one's human rights!).

The fact is, we don't give it a second thought today, we just buckle up as a matter of habit. The seatbelt doesn't affect the roadworthiness of a vehicle; it isn't going to spin off the road because the seatbelt is a bit frayed, but I don't think anyone would suggest that it shouldn't be checked on the MOT.
Just a matter of perspective, I suppose.

Pete.
pclark   
Wed Jul 13 2011, 07:49am
Member No: #3
I think the tyre monitoring system is an excellent addition to vehicle safety given that many drivers never check their pressures (I'm not one of them - I used to check my pressures every week without fail). Last week I was driving to work and the system indicated that the rear offside tyre pressure was 'low'. I stopped and looked at the tyre and it didn't look particularly deflated compared to the left rear tyre so I continued my journey.

That lunchtime I went out and checked the pressure - it was 2.2 bar compared to the correct 2.4 bar on the other 3 tyres.

The system had detected a very minor lack of pressure. I pumped the tyre up to 2.4 bar and on the way home the system reset and said the tyres were all 'ok'. The cost of replacing valves isn't that great - particularly as sensors are now available from sources other than Citroen.

No matter how often pressures are checked a puncture can always occur between checks and if early notice of a puncture is given before the tyre actually goes flat it is a big benefit to safety and convenience.
C6Dave   
Wed Jul 13 2011, 07:58am

Member No: #1
pclark wrote ...

No matter how often pressures are checked a puncture can always occur between checks and if early notice of a puncture is given before the tyre actually goes flat it is a big benefit to safety and convenience.

Not to mention the cost of replacing a tyre if running at low pressure damages the side wall
Website
michaelb   
Wed Jul 13 2011, 10:32am
Member No: #14
smorphet wrote ...

Hmm. I'd been thinking about investing in some winter wheels and tyres before it gets cold again. The need to fiddle about with pressure sensors is all a bit off-putting. I'd thought I could just disable the sensors completely, but that may not be an option with this new MOT rule. Now it sounds like I'll have to enable/disable the system, or reregister a different set of sensors, every time I change the wheels.

I disabled mine when I put on winter tyres last year and haven't bothered to re-enable the system when I swapped back to summer tyres recently. I have no intention of re-enabling it again until it becomes mandatory under the MoT so I'm watching the discussion with interest.

Enabling and disabling costs money and quite a lot of inconvenience for me to get to a Citroën dealer, or I could buy Lexia and the appropriate laptop/OS to run it on - but that also costs time and money.
mog1842   
Thu Jul 14 2011, 01:25pm
Member No: #268
OK. What I have decided to do is repace the sensor, but should another one fail, then I will have all replaced with conventional valves, and disable the system. The Citroen main dealer nearest to me is happy to do that....and never a mention of MOT requirements.

Yes, a useful but not essential safety device, since I too always checked my tyres at weekly fill-ups.... and the point remains that though a conventional valve may leak, for one to snap off is unheard of.

Oh, and £65 plus Vat is the same price as Tyresensors.com
verycleverman   
Thu Jul 14 2011, 03:21pm
Member No: #65
mog1842 wrote ...

OK. What I have decided to do is repace the sensor, but should another one fail, then I will have all replaced with conventional valves, and disable the system. The Citroen main dealer nearest to me is happy to do that....and never a mention of MOT requirements.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, your Citroen main dealer doesn't get to make the law. If it's all down to the computer, the car will fail.

Pete.
Extant   
Thu Jul 14 2011, 04:47pm
Member No: #317
C6Dave wrote ...

Yes, the wheels should be removed and 'copper slip' sparingly applied so that they don't 'bond' to the hub

The valves fail normally due to the dust caps again 'binding' to the valve and when removed crack or shear the stems

Always use plastic caps, never metal.

I wish that I had taken notice of this. The cost of having two tyres replaced today ended up a lot more than I was planning on.
Ped   
Thu Jul 14 2011, 09:17pm
Member No: #82
Well, until it's definitely a requirement I'm sticking with normal valves... been working for hundreds of years and they haven't seemed to be a problem, and I consider the sensor type an accident waiting to happen. Pug dealer near me told me they always get people saying their sensor valves snapped on kerbs because they protrude slightly from the rims and just snap...
Extant   
Mon Jul 18 2011, 12:20pm
I checked the valves on the rear tyres after having the cost of the front ones replaced. Both have plastic caps but there is still a problem. I managed to undo one, along with a small cloud of aluminium oxide powder. The other is well and truly stuck and has been for a while by the look of it as it's obviously been had a go at with a pair of pliers.

Wear and tear or a case for a warranty claim?
C6Dave   
Mon Jul 18 2011, 02:57pm

Get a sharp knife (stanley) and cut up the dust cap to split it, then it should come off.

Clean up and fit a new plastic one lubricated with something that displaces water and lubricates etc, like 'Ferrosol'
Website
Extant   
Mon Jul 18 2011, 03:34pm
Thanks Dave.

So, this is something that the garage could have done and saved my a considerable number of pounds.
C6Dave   
Mon Jul 18 2011, 03:44pm

I couldn't possibly comment
Website
Extant   
Mon Jul 18 2011, 04:23pm
Aw, [%*^#@!]!
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club