C6 Tyre Valve failure

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
verycleverman   
Tue Jun 07 2011, 11:12pm
Member No: #65
Ped wrote ...

Thanks Pete - to be honest I'm more than happy with normal valves, I don't think there's much point in the sensor type.

It doesn't matter how happy you are with normal valves, from the first MOT of 2012 all tyre pressure sensors have to work. If there is even one out, it's a fail. Here's the link again - I suggest you read it. - Click Here -

Pete.
drummond   
Wed Jun 08 2011, 06:46am
Member No: #238
Ped, methinks the MOT man will have you!
C6Dave   
Wed Jun 08 2011, 01:54pm

Member No: #1
grandadmark wrote ...

I have had a valve replaced on my C6 Lignage and my Citroen garage,not a main deaker, is having trouble registering the new sensor id. We are now trying for the third time. The system seems to revert to the original sensor id after a couple of engine restarts. Anyone got any ideas or experience of this
waitng in hope

Is he using 'Lexia' to reset them?
Website
Ped   
Wed Jun 08 2011, 04:23pm
Member No: #82
Thanks - I'm not sure I understand... all my valves are now normal types. Just because the car has sensor valve monitoring capability does it mean I actually HAVE to have sensor valves in my wheels? Surely if the sensor functionality on the computer is disabled, normal valves are OK?
verycleverman   
Wed Jun 08 2011, 04:39pm
Ped wrote ...

Thanks - I'm not sure I understand... all my valves are now normal types. Just because the car has sensor valve monitoring capability does it mean I actually HAVE to have sensor valves in my wheels? Surely if the sensor functionality on the computer is disabled, normal valves are OK?

No, the law states that any vehicle which was originally equipped with a tyre pressure sensing system must have a fully functioning system for the MOT. It's pretty much like the traditional 'if it's fitted, it has to work' except you don't have the opportunity to 'un-fit' it. In the not too distant future, all new cars will have to be fitted with TPS.

Pete.
C6Dave   
Thu Jun 09 2011, 02:03pm

As MOT's are computerised these days the person doing the MOT has access to a check list for the car he is working on so the chances of it being overlooked are slim..........
Website
michaelb   
Thu Jun 09 2011, 02:49pm
Member No: #14
Ped wrote ...

It'll be interesting to see how this one pans out. Only cars sold after 1988 require rear seat belts though many produced running up to that date already had them. If you happen to have a 1987 car with a rear seat belt problem you could legitimately get it through the MoT test by simply removing them. Ped is using the same line of reasoning.
drummond   
Thu Jun 09 2011, 03:56pm
Member No: #238
2cv's rusted where the rear diagonal belt went into the (thin) side. On one car I had, I took the rear belts out, leaving holes in the sides. It passed the MOT. because the hole wasn't near any major item....the car was a 1985.

I've a friend with a 58 registered Jaguar XF. He does not have tyre sensors, as they were (then) an option. Unfortunately, not so on C6's. So Ped, and any others, are going to fail their MOT's on this point alone.

However, if the interrogation does not show "service" and the tyres look as if they have got sensors in them, how is the MOT guy going to know? Unless they have Lexia?
michaelb   
Thu Jun 09 2011, 06:27pm
Member No: #14
More worryingly these MoT changes include the new requirement to check the steering fluid level.

In a normal car that is a simple job, not in a C6 as we know.
verycleverman   
Thu Jun 09 2011, 10:38pm
michaelb wrote ...

More worryingly these MoT changes include the new requirement to check the steering fluid level.

In a normal car that is a simple job, not in a C6 as we know.

All the more reason for getting the MOT done at the Main Dealer, as it's fixed price he can't charge any more.

Pete.
grandadmark   
Tue Jun 14 2011, 04:24pm
Member No: #508
C6Dave wrote ...

grandadmark wrote ...

I have had a valve replaced on my C6 Lignage and my Citroen garage,not a main deaker, is having trouble registering the new sensor id. We are now trying for the third time. The system seems to revert to the original sensor id after a couple of engine restarts. Anyone got any ideas or experience of this
waitng in hope

Is he using 'Lexia' to reset them?

Peter is using a Snap On device to update the system. We have now fixed it. You need to disable all 4 sensors before updating and then enable the 4 sensors again.
C6Dave   
Tue Jun 14 2011, 06:20pm

Interesting, thanks for the info grandadmark
Website
mog1842   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 09:41am
Member No: #268
Yesterday I responded to the Low Pressure warning signal by stopping at the nearest service station with an air pump. Although the dust cap came off easily, no air would go in and then the valve snapped off completely.

A replacement sensor costs £65 plus vat. I wonder if it is not better to replace all the sensors with conventional valves and then disable the message.

It is of course a useful safety device to have warning of low pressures, but then I have never had complete flat tyre due to a failed valve before, and they are expensive anf if they are also brittle...

The car is coming up for its 5th birthday, and all tyres hasve been changed. And yes, I have always made sure the dust caps are not screwed on tight.
C6Dave   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 10:14am

mog1842 wrote ...

A replacement sensor costs £65 plus vat. I wonder if it is not better to replace all the sensors with conventional valves and then disable the message.

New MOT regulations coming in late this year mean that if the car was fitted with them from the factory, then they must be fitted and working to pass

Website
Ped   
Tue Jul 12 2011, 05:20pm
Member No: #82
C6Dave wrote ...

mog1842 wrote ...

New MOT regulations coming in late this year mean that if the car was fitted with them from the factory, then they must be fitted and working to pass

Is this definite? Mine had the sensor valves but I got rid of them as they were brittle and not up to the job. I don't think my monitors worked anyway, when the valve broke nothing came up on the screen, and still doesn't now I have 4 normal valves.

The new regulation would mean drivers safety is compromised, if anything - I would be happy to ignore the ruling and go to court over it, frankly. It makes no sense and doesn't do anything but line the pockets of those with an interest. Good job my MOT is in a few weeks.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club