Failing RT4 screen

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
MikeH   
Sat Jul 18 2015, 06:25am
Member No: #1555
Hi,
I have a 2007 2.2 manual exclusive and the RT4 screen has developed a vertical column about one fifth of the span which flickers between light and normal. I suspect the screen is on its way out. A few questions:

a) does anyone know how to remove the screen

b) can the screen be tested to see if it is faulty

c) does anyone have a screen for sale

d) can they be swapped between C6 models (or even other Citroens/Peugeots) or are they paired with the RT4 unit in the car

e) does reinstallation require the use of a Lexia? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
AndreSMCXXMC6   
Sat Jul 18 2015, 08:45am
Member No: #615
Take the 2 wooden strips off the dashboard. Then do can take the "LID" over the display off vertically. And then so on.

You may check the display connector on the back of the radio, the one with the metal housing. The brown connector on the display is for powering only.

I do have a display for sale from a 2009 car.

You may swap the display with any display from a C6 as long as it is the RT4 or RT5 version with electronic interface instead of the RT3 optical interface.

You can also use a Peugeot 407 display even the HiRES-olution version but you have to cut the metal ears off the housing.

You do not need a LEXIA as the displays are not personalized unless you use a HiRES display then you need MIRASCRIPT tools to change the FONTS and the screen direction.
Norman   
Sat Jul 18 2015, 09:48am
Member No: #364
It sounds like the screen is failing having replaced many laptop screen it may be possible to remove the screen and find a replacement on EBay if there is a manufactures label with the part number on it.

Norman
MikeH   
Sat Jul 18 2015, 05:15pm
Thank you for the advice, Andre. It's my first post on the site so I'm not sure of the protocol for buying items for sale. Any tips on how I go about this? I'm guessing we take the discussion off-line?
m3mpower   
Mon Jul 20 2015, 10:15pm
Member No: #662
Hi
It would be a good idea to post a photo of the screen to get some opinions.
Changing the screen is easy.
Finding one from a C6 isn't easy, but you can use one from other cars and swap the metal frame.
I also have the screen for sale in case you are still looking...
Website
MikeH   
Fri Jul 24 2015, 08:32am
Many thanks to all. I've posted a couple of pics of the screen for future reference but in trying to remove the trim to access the screen, I find that the one of the clips holding the wooden trim (on the passenger side) will not come away from the bulkhead. I even took the car into the main Citroen dealer in Norwich and they have given up, especially since a replacement piece costs £648 (and that isn't a typo). I've posted a couple of other pics of the back of the driver's side trim to illustrate the fixing but I suspect that the clip has been pushed all the way through the bulkhead opening, meaning it cannot be retrieved. My only solution seems to be to cut the plastic clip with a hacksaw blade introduced (carefully) behind the trim but any advice would be welcome if anyone knows a less damaging way.

Hattershaun   
Fri Jul 24 2015, 10:35am
Member No: #320
You may want to have a chat with Robert at B.L.Autos. I know he's removed these dash trims.
One side had push on/pull off clips, but the other side had screws or torq bolts (which may have been hidden).
Have you looked on Citroen Service? The parts diagram may be some help.
AndreSMCXXMC6   
Fri Jul 24 2015, 04:39pm
Member No: #615
If you are careful you can succesfully take the screen out.
See my attached pictures from my own dismounting.

m3mpower   
Fri Jul 24 2015, 10:17pm
Member No: #662
Hi
This should help you.

Website
Norman   
Sat Jul 25 2015, 07:44am
Member No: #364
Having just seen the picture of the failing screen I shows the common problem of bad or broken data cables it could a bad connection at the plug, try flexing the data cable from the plug all the way upto the screen if that fails to do anything gently apply pressure to the screen where it has failed if it then goes away the internal edge connector has failed. Sorry.

Norman
MikeH   
Mon Aug 03 2015, 10:19am
I called Robert at B.L.Autos and he confirmed that the 2nd 'clip' in from the window on the passenger side trim is a bolt and that this is undone from underneath after removing the glove compartment. Apparently this side is bolted to stop the trim flying off and causing harm if the passenger side air-bag activates. He also confirmed that these two 'wooden' trim pieces don't need to be removed to access the screen. I've since removed the screen and a replacement being sent from Alicante. Again, thanks to all.
imkrl   
Tue Sep 26 2017, 12:17pm
Member No: #3280
Hello MikeH,
did I understand it correct:
for replacing the Screen you didn't remove the wooden trim ?

How did you get rid of the front panel? (see first Picture from m3mpower)?
imkrl   
Fri Oct 06 2017, 08:08am
Member No: #3280
Any suggestions ?
MikeH   
Fri Oct 06 2017, 05:44pm
Hi imkrl and I've been away so apologies for not replying sooner. I can confirm that there is absolutely no need to remove the wooden trim to replace the screen. As for lifting off the front panel (1st picture), as far as I can recall I simply applied gentle pressure with a spatula/lever at each of the three points shown with arrows in the photos and the trim popped off. Hope this helps.
321dave   
Sat Oct 07 2017, 11:34am
Member No: #614
Thank you all for the great replys to the forum. I bought a higher resolution screen and cables recently for upgrade I hope to do soon, and I'm almost looking forward to fitting it after reading the great posts on here. Thanks again as the pictures are a great help as well. Dave.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club