is 2.7 hdi a good choice

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
siwebr   
Sun Jun 28 2015, 07:59am
Member No: #2230
Hey guys
I'm new here and don't have a C6 yet but I'm planning to buy one.
I need your expert advice as to the choice of engine.
I think, that only 2.7 HDI's are a sensible choice for me because I think the 2.2 is a bit too weak and the 3.0 is way out my price range. The choice of C6's isn't very big here in Poland.
My question is: Is it a good choice, what should I pay attention to when checking the car?
I'd be really grateful for your help.
eduardomaio   
Sun Jun 28 2015, 12:22pm
Member No: #869
Between the 2.2 and the 2.7 go for the 2.7. The engine is quieter, and when hot is quite smooth for a diesel.

Also you get AMVAR on the suspension with the V6 engines, making the car a bit more fun to drive.

Common issues with the 2.7 engine are the coolant leaks from the thermostat housing and check the radiator for cracks on the plastic at the top. All the issues are well documented on other threads.
Website
siwebr   
Mon Jun 29 2015, 08:59am
Thanks a lot. I've already heard about the coolant leaks but the radiator cracks topic is new for me I'll remember it.
Does the car cause much trouble on regular use?
magicands   
Mon Jun 29 2015, 02:20pm
Member No: #1021
siwebr wrote ...

Does the car cause much trouble on regular use?

The answer will depend on who responds, there is a "Yes" camp and a "No" camp in here.
My Six gives me regular trouble, either through parts failures or workshop technicians with little knowledge and who make things worse when they are trying to repair!!
As a disclaimer, this is MY opinion and is not shared by others

Website
patcrean406   
Mon Jun 29 2015, 07:49pm
Member No: #1894
Just out of curiosity what's gone wrong with it this year so far? Mine has been up and down. I have gone through a phase of 6 months with no problems. Then window stopped working.
siwebr   
Tue Jun 30 2015, 11:05am
patcrean406's question is quite important for me to. Should I prepare myself for regular problems with electricity or rather with engine, valves or injection system?
C6Dave   
Tue Jun 30 2015, 12:34pm

Member No: #1
Electrics, well the alternator pulley can fail but can be changed. The car really needs a good battery as once they start to go you get all kinds of wierd errors

Engine, valves, injection system rarely cause problems.

EGR valves can become clogged with carbon if the past owner used the wrong oil

Coolant system leaks are the ones to watch out for along with lower suspension bushes.
Website
magicands   
Tue Jun 30 2015, 02:56pm
This year so far I have had these issues.

1) Front DRL indicator lamp (New) letting in water - replaced under warranty. 2nd unit also letting in water so I sealed it myself with translucent silicon sealant.

2) Front N/S door lock faulty and refuses to unlock with fob. this lock was replaced in 2013 and has not lasted 2 years before failing again!

3) Dealer ruptured coolant tank and ruined hydraulic pump by not following correct protocol when lifting the car. (Dealer did not admit liability)

4) Anti roll bar bushes perished and will need replacing at MOT in September.

5) Climate control faulty - re gassed but when re checked was empty of refrigerant due to a leak that cant be found

Website
Leo   
Tue Jun 30 2015, 03:41pm
Member No: #94
Hi,

Six years of ownership this April just passed - few problems. Tyre valves replaced, an exhaust pressure sensor replaced, a couple of suspension joints replaced (these appear to be consumable items) and a bit of the wiring loom in the door replaced (which cured non operational drivers window). That's about the lot. All work done at reasonable rates by main Citroen Dealer in Belfast.

Mine has been a very good ownership experience. Must have gotten a car built on a good day!

Leo
siwebr   
Tue Jun 30 2015, 08:07pm
Thanks guys.
You've all been very helpful.
So the aim is to find a C6 with a good history.
magicands   
Wed Jul 01 2015, 03:57pm
siwebr wrote ...

Thanks guys.
You've all been very helpful.
So the aim is to find a C6 with a good history.

My Six came with a full service history from an authorised Citroen dealership but unfortunately in the case of MY car this meant nothing.
The car had only done 47,000 miles when I purchased it and was a one owner vehicle. The chap who owned it before me had also spent a considerable amount of money and time on the car as was proved by all the main dealer repair receipts that I have here. The last straw for him was when the rear ABS sensor failed (diagnosed by Citroen in 2011) One month after he had just spent over £1000 with them on new tyres, at this point he sold the car without having the sensor replaced. I then purchased the car (Unaware that there was a problem) and within a couple of weeks it "Alarmed" telling me that the ABS and handbrake were faulty. I took it to my Citroen dealer who diagnosed the same rear ABS problem that he had not fixed.
I guess having a service history is the right way to approach a purchase but it does NOT mean that you will have a better car than one which has not, as was proved in my case.
Website
siwebr   
Wed Jul 01 2015, 07:11pm
Yeah Magichands
I've learned my lesson while having my first car, which was a Citroen Xantia. It was a beautiful machine with full service history, but it was also a mean one
But I loved it anyway. This is where my love to citroens comes from. When I first drove a hydro-pneumatic xantia I didn't want to buy anything else.
TycoonX   
Fri Sep 25 2015, 08:20am
Member No: #988
Hi, i have answer

You need to do only two things, for long life of 2.7 HDi.

Oil - i dont recomennd 5W30 low saps oil because this oil is weaker in additives , i have used classic 5W40 and i recommend Valvoline durablend or maxlife.

Oil change interval - 30 000km is too much ! I recommend changing oil after 10-15 000km.

Next common issue is automatic gearbox. When it kicks, you need to replace hydroblock. Funny thing is, we send them to Poland In poland, refurbished block cost about 350 €. Than is you gearbox again smooth and like new.

Im from Slovakia.. i had many citroens in past from BX..xantia, xm..c5 ..to C6. I will never sell it Its the last real citroen, and you should try it.

P.S you will need diagnostic unit But i didnt had serious problem at all.

Tjensen   
Fri Sep 25 2015, 08:58am
Member No: #954
The discussions on this forum supports the 10-15 000 oilchange interval, but not changing to a more "robust" oil, problems with EGR valves, turbos and dpf system might appear. Oil changes on the gearbox is also recommended, after 50 000 km.
TycoonX   
Fri Sep 25 2015, 09:25am
Member No: #988
I think, its better to clean FAP/DPF or EGR, vs destroyed main bearings
5W40 fits better to our climate conditions , because in summer, temperature here can be easily over 40 C (Slovakia)

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club