C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Electric Steering Column Adjustment

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
David Hallworth   
Fri Jun 19 2015, 05:17pm

Member No: #90
Since I've had my C6 back I've noticed that the electric steering column adjustment doesn't seem to work properly...

The column moves in and out as it should but it doesn't want to go up and down.I've replaced the switch as I got one on eBay brand new in the wrapper for £14 so thought I'd try that first. It made no difference.

I can adjust it manually using an allen key into the socket on the adjuster but it's still only attempting to turn a tiny bit on the switch... Video of it's behaviour below:

- Click Here -

Has anybody experienced this before? I've tried moving it manually several times, I've sprayed oil and grease at it and it's made no difference

David.
Norman   
Sat Jun 20 2015, 10:53am
Member No: #364
Mine sounds and does exactly what yours does I'd love to know what is the course the way it sounds it sounds like the electrical feed is interrupted, looking at it where are the limit switches to stop it at the ends of travel? Also is there a control box for it which is controlled by the bsi?

Norman
COLINJ   
Sat Jun 20 2015, 03:50pm
Member No: #697
Hi Dave, I had exactly the same problem went in & out ok but not up and down. took it to citroen b, ham where I bought it from and watch them fixed it:- hold the top of the steering wheel with ignition on press the steering control switch down ( do not release switch )and pull down with force on the steering wheel (couple of attempt) it when down, that was about 3 years ago and its still working fine when I exit the car steering goes up and with ignition on and door closed steering goes down.

It work on mine
David Hallworth   
Sat Jun 20 2015, 04:55pm

Thanks for that, I might give it a go. Just afraid of breaking something!

The control box for it is integrated into the ECU under the drivers seat. You can hear it clicking when you activate the switch.

Citroen don't list parts for the column, just the entire column at about a grand IIRC.

If I can be bothered I might strip it down and have a look if Colin's suggestion doesn't work. Failing that, If anyone knows of a C6 being broken it'd be nice to have a column to look at rather then render my own car immobile. I wonder if there's enough slack in the cables to swap the motors about and see if the fault follows the motor or stays with one particular movement...

David.
Norman   
Mon Jun 22 2015, 02:12pm
Just done what colinj suggested now I have a movable steering wheel in all directions thanks colinj.
Just turned on the ignition gave the top of the steering wheel a good thump and it worked it must have been a bad connection or a jammed motor!

Norman
COLINJ   
Mon Jun 22 2015, 02:35pm
Never had a problem since norman.
Norman   
Wed Jun 24 2015, 08:58am
Tried it several times and had to bang the steering wheel every time to get it to move it seems to be a bit sticky so I will give it some excercise.

Norman
David Hallworth   
Wed Jun 24 2015, 08:48pm

I've tried pulling down on mine to the point where I lifted myself off the seat... I've also tried thumping the top of the steering wheel, none of which have helped on my car I'm afraid.

Ho hum...

David.
COLINJ   
Thu Jun 25 2015, 08:27am
Hi David, Make sure your operating the steering column switch in the down position while forcing the steering wheel down.
David Hallworth   
Thu Jun 25 2015, 11:31pm

When I tried it the other day I tried thumping it whilst holding the switch etc. When this didn't work I sprayed the mechanism with WD40 and left it to soak. When I got in the car tonight it still wasn't working.

I held the switch down and gave the steering wheel a good knock with the palm of my hand and it started moving straight away.

Thanks for the advice guys!

David.
Ghostrider   
Wed Aug 29 2018, 04:34pm
Member No: #3219
Brilliant! solved my problem although I would add that using an Allen key to wind it up and down a couple of times as well helped as just pulling down on the wheel with the switch down didn't work the first three times!!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club