Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

The all new LDS tank !

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
magicands   
Wed May 20 2015, 05:40pm
Member No: #1021
Hi all, the photos show the new LDS tank and also the new tank cap (on right in photo)
It really doesn't look much different other than the extension tube, the purpose of which I fail to see?
The new tank however seems to have a lot more going on on the underside (see photo with arrow)
I have also included a photo of the old tank just for reference.
At about £50 I suggest anybody who has the old style tank replace it NOW with the new version to save you a ton of money in the future, and I mean a ton.
Hope this helps?

Website
321dave   
Wed May 20 2015, 07:04pm
Member No: #614
Hi Magicands,
Many thanks for taking the time to post the photos of the new tank.

Kind regards
321dave
Tjensen   
Wed May 20 2015, 08:05pm
Member No: #954
What is the purpose of the new design ? Anybody ?
magicands   
Thu May 21 2015, 08:22am
Tjensen wrote ...

What is the purpose of the new design ? Anybody ?

I failed to see a reason for the new design in tank cap myself although there is obviously a reason for it.
I assume that your 2010 model already has this new LDS tank and cap fitted?
Website
gmerry   
Thu May 21 2015, 09:00am
Member No: #21
Hi Tjensen, to answer your question at least partially.

The replacement cap is merely a generic PSA power steering cap used on most of the range (think C4s with electric hydraulic steering).

However, Citroen have had 3 different attempts at getting the design of the LDS tank and its breathing correct (see RPO 12029 and earlier, RPO 12030 to RPO12151 and RPO 12152 and later.

The middle period LDS tank design is intriging and hints at a fix to the issues: there is a breathing filter added direct to the tank, not via the filler cap which indicates that PSA knew there was a problem with the original design. Then the later cars did not have this feature. Penny pinching now or did they solve the problem via some other method? Anyway, its clear to me that the tank does need substantial breathing capacity for certain operations, and that this cannot be provided by the cap.

I'm not sure that the new tank that has been fitted has any specific breather, hard to tell from the photos.

Anyway here's the drawing showing the breather (see part #4)

On the top of the new tank there are the molded words and an arrow

retour suintement, which by the power of google literally means back seepage

Now, on this particular tank the molding may be left blanked but it certainly hints at the thinking.

Regards
G
magicands   
Thu May 21 2015, 06:23pm
Interesting post, thanks.
The one that's been fitted to my 6 has no moulded words but does have the vent filter tube shown in your diagram at number 4.
Interestingly, my old tank has not only the moulded words but also the vent tube.
My car was built in 2006 and registered in 2007 so perhaps my old tank (removed) was already a replacement from the factory fitted one.
So, to make it sound simple, Gmerry has posted a picture of the tank he states is the latter design & yet this tank has been removed and replaced from my 6. I'm somewhat confused now.
Perhaps my 6 has had 3 LDS tanks fitted in its lifetime, one at the factory, a second upgraded tank (due to a previous failure) before I acquired the vehicle and now a 3rd upgrade with the tank that has just been fitted by Citroen????

Website
Dan595   
Tue May 26 2015, 12:20pm
Member No: #299
At the risk of making this even more confusing -
I had a discussion with my dealer about replacing the tank on my 2006 build car, and they said that whilst there was a 'different' tank used on some cars ( RPO 12030 to RPO 12151), the 'current' tank is the same as the original tank so I'd be wasting my time.
Leo   
Tue May 26 2015, 03:32pm
Member No: #94
Yes, mine is an 06 build, registered 08 and I have had it since it was 11 months registered. Has the tank with the breather and the arrow and the "Retour Suintement" wording. No record of the tank having been replaced prior to my purchase, and I have not replaced it nor had any problem with it (yet!).

Leo
magicands   
Tue May 26 2015, 05:45pm
So in essence then we are no further down the road & still have to remove the cap when lifting the vehicle?
Website
C6Dave   
Tue May 26 2015, 06:00pm

Member No: #1
magicands wrote ...

So in essence then we are no further down the road & still have to remove the cap when lifting the vehicle?

Your choice, but I always removed mine before both of the 6's were lifted and gave the dealer explicit instructions to do the same whenever the car went in for servicing.
Website
Tjensen   
Tue May 26 2015, 08:35pm
Member No: #954
Dave has the sensible advice, and Citroen is telling garages/owners to remove the cap, also after the changes/new parts. Probably the problem is less serious, but not solved. But why do pressure build up when wheels are lowered/hanging ?
e3steve   
Sun May 31 2015, 09:58pm
Member No: #1163
Not pressure, but vacuum. When all four wheels hang a huge amount of LDS is drawn from the tank by the 'unsprung weight' of the wheel/hub assemblies. This suction places the LDS reservoir under severe negative pressure which can cause it to implode unless the cap (or the breather system) can allow that negative pressure to be balanced to atmospheric.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club