C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Undertray Fasteners

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Wed May 13 2015, 08:28am
Member No: #21
Hi all, not being sure that my new undertray was fully secure (previous tray had coming loose at the trailing edge and suffered some damage), I purchased from ebay some captive studs which were supposed to fit in place of the spring clips.

Total waste of time, just fell out.

I then replaced all the OEM spring clips with new items, somewhat better (the old springs clips were rusty and had lost some of their spring)

As I was still not totally happy with the security at the trailing edge, I have drilled and tapped the aluminium subframe (at a low stress area) and then screwed in M8 hex head machine bolts from above, so as to provide captive studs. The undertray is now securely fastened to the studs using penny washers and locknuts - quick and easy to remove on a service. Job done.

Regards
G

Note, towards the rear of the aluminium subframe, there are large flat areas with access to the top of the subframe from the side

Also note, on the 2012 C4, PSA have moved away from quick release screws to captive studs pretty much as per this mod.
e3steve   
Wed May 13 2015, 09:04pm
Member No: #1163
G, the 'normal' PSA-type spring clips are designed to snap into sheet metal up to about 2 or 3mm thick; they're unsuitable replacements for ours which reside in the slots in the tubular, flat- and box-section alloy members. Those members are 4 - 4.5mm thick, therefore the barbs on the 'normal' clips don't reach deep enough to hold the clips in place (once the added strain of supporting the undertray is applied).

Also there are three (or five[?]) longer q-r screws -- about 30mm -- across the leading edge of the undertray, where it overlays the short, front tray. These longer versions are essential for penetrating both thicknesses of tray and in order to reach the deeper clips' retaining 'wings'. The standard generic ones -- about 20 or 25mm long -- work fine with the deeper retainers. Just.

I've tried to get the longer 'screws' from my local dealer and on eBay, still to no avail...
gmerry   
Thu May 14 2015, 08:07am
Hi Steve, I got the special C6 specific spring clips, both types from the dealer (these has to be ordered in). I now have a bag of these in the C6 spares cupboard. I noticed some of the original black spring steel "deep" clips now have an anti-corrosion plating so hopefully will last longer. I still use a small glob of coppa-slip to prevent the quarter turn fastener corroding solid to the spring clip.

Regards
G

Good reminder that the leading edge Q/R screws are specials
e3steve   
Thu May 14 2015, 11:19am
Do you happen to have a Cit part number please Gordon?
gmerry   
Fri May 15 2015, 01:37pm
Hi E3steve, I'll have a look out for the packets with part numbers tonight.

Regards
G

Part Numbers as follows

std shallow captive spring clips for sheet steel #7030 18 packet of 20
special deep captive spring clips for thick walled alloy #7030 19 packet of 10

Note that the special deep spring clips are blackened steel whereas the std shallow spring clips have a pretty good anti-corrosion coating
e3steve   
Sat May 16 2015, 08:23am
Gracias Citro-amigo!
cruiserphil   
Sat May 16 2015, 09:03pm

Member No: #38
E3,

There's also a clip kit.

Best regards,

Phil C.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club