C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Noisy wipers

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
PercyPorcelain   
Wed May 06 2015, 06:20pm
Member No: #2027
Given how smooth and well engineered everything seems on the C6, I'm surprised my wipers make such a racket. Do I need new blades if they're noisy? They still seem to clean the screen effectively, with no streaks.
cruiserphil   
Wed May 06 2015, 07:39pm

Member No: #38
Sounds like you do!
Follow C6 Dave's advice - replace with genuine Citroen only. They seem to be the only wiper that sweeps the screen silently from new! I tried various replacements which were noisy from new before settling with the Citroen wiper. Incidentally I have just replaced a set for the same reason as you have described.

Best regards,

Phil C.
magicands   
Wed May 06 2015, 08:31pm
Member No: #1021
I replaced with Genuine Citroen & have no problems with noise at all.
Website
Norman   
Thu May 07 2015, 07:25am
Member No: #364
In what way are they noisy as I have changed mine and the left hand wiper goes clunk at the bottom of the travel against the screen rubber it also seems to sweep too close to the rubber at the end of its travel somewhat more that the drivers wiper.

Norman
Hattershaun   
Thu May 07 2015, 08:11am
Member No: #320
Try cleaning the screen very thoroughly, to get rid of all the traffic film & airborne muck, with both water/detergent, then a glass polish. Clean the blade edges as well.
This should improve matters. However, new blades will improve further.
Norman   
Fri May 08 2015, 05:35pm
Hi, they are new blades but not citroen and the glass is clean it is more of there appeared to be too much travel in the movement. I can't do anything at the moment as I'm in the United States of America it will have. To wait until I get back in two weeks.

Norman
PercyPorcelain   
Fri May 08 2015, 08:44pm
Norman wrote ...

In what way are they noisy as I have changed mine and the left hand wiper goes clunk at the bottom of the travel against the screen rubber it also seems to sweep too close to the rubber at the end of its travel somewhat more that the drivers wiper.

Norman

Yes it's the end of travel on mine too Norman, not hitting anything that I can see but I can see the blade juddering at the edge of the screen (just before it reverses)
PercyPorcelain   
Fri May 08 2015, 08:48pm
Hattershaun wrote ...

Try cleaning the screen very thoroughly, to get rid of all the traffic film & airborne muck, with both water/detergent, then a glass polish. Clean the blade edges as well.

Thanks Shaun I'll try that. I wonder could it be anything to do with the 'nanotech' product that I applied to the screen which is meant to make water bead off?
Hattershaun   
Fri May 08 2015, 10:28pm
Member No: #320
PercyPorcelain wrote ...

Hattershaun wrote ...

Thanks Shaun I'll try that. I wonder could it be anything to do with the 'nanotech' product that I applied to the screen which is meant to make water bead off?

It could well be. Many years ago I used 'Rain X' on a BX, that caused some wiper judder/smearing.

If the blade is hitting the edge of the screen it needs adjusting, sorry if that's stating the obvious.

A friend of mine just replaced wiper blades (not on a Citroen), he specifically ordered Bosch blades, but was sent Valeo ones by the motor factor, who claimed that both brands were of equally high quality.
However, the Valeo ones screeched, so he exchanged them for Bosch blades, which are lovely and quiet in operation.

e3steve   
Fri May 08 2015, 10:56pm
Member No: #1163
First check should be that both wiper arms are parking correctly. They should be parallel with the bottom scuttle and with each other.

Second check us that the 'angle of attack' is correct in both the upsweep and downsweep attitudes: the blades should 'rake' at an acute angle of attack in both directions. If, at any point in the blades' excursions, the angle is (or becomes) obtuse, then judder will occur.

To alter the angle of attack:
  • Park the wipers in the 'up' position
  • Fold a rag across the wiper arm, close to the blade's swivel knuckle, in order to protect the anodising/powdercoat
  • Grip the wiper arm, via the rag, by tightening an adjustable spaniard across the arm
  • Twist the arm torsionally, a bit at a time (then testing your tweaking with a wash cycle and a couple of drying intermittent sweeps) to increase or decrease the attack angle
For example: if judder occurs on the upsweep, then the r/h wiper arm will need twisting c/w and the l/h arm a/c/w; for downsweep judder, the reverse should be applied.

Seemples!
C6Dave   
Sat May 09 2015, 06:28am

Member No: #1
But where does one find an 'adjustable spaniard' I'm sure the likes of Halfords etc. don't stock them
Website
e3steve   
Sun May 10 2015, 10:42am
Member No: #1163
There are at least five types of spaniard in Halfords, Dave: combination, ring, rodents' dropping, open-ended and adjustable...

Norman   
Fri Nov 20 2015, 06:58pm
Just replaced my wipers with genuine Citroen ones and they are still noisy so no different! So observed the wiper action in the pouring rain, on intermifttent wipe all is quiet as is slow speed but on high speed the wipers collide so need to take a closer look! As the wipers are driven by 2 separate motors is it possible to modify the blade travel with a diagibox or could it be excess travel in the linkage. It has just come out of perry's Citroen in Huddersfield and the mechanic said it could be a motor fault which required further investigation.
C6Dave   
Fri Nov 20 2015, 07:18pm

Member No: #1
With 2 wiper motors there is no 'linkage' Norman.

1 motor is synchronised from the other i.e. a 'master and slave' (which is the 'master' though I can't remember)

I'm sure there is a thread on it somewhere and it may mean changing the master motor.
Website
gmerry   
Fri Nov 20 2015, 07:43pm
Member No: #21
There's a 101 uses for an adjustable Spaniard...

Re the master / slave, pretty sure for RHD, drivers side is master and passenger is slave. For LHD, drivers side is master, passenger is slave. I.e. a proper RHD conversion.

Even though there is no cross linkage, there is a small linkage per motor/arm so it might be worth checking mechanical possibilities before say changing motors.

E3steve's observations look spot on. For the aftermarket wipers, a large part of the issue is that the wiper fit tolerance in the arm is incorrect which in turn allows the arm to twist, changes the angle of attack and causes the judder. I managed to get some very good and quite service out of some "neo form" wipers only by shimming the fit with some black duct tape (practically imvisible). The duct tape adds some damping to the system which "cures" the stick/slip vibration.

Regards
G
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club