C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: Members Get Togethers and Events

The Life and Works of Alex Moulton

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Dan595   
Tue Mar 31 2015, 01:04pm
Member No: #299
Apologies as this is not directly C6-related - but then Alex Moulton was both the father of Hydrolastic and Hydragas hydraulic interconnected suspension systems, and a lifelong Citroen advocate (2CV in the 1950s, at least 3 GS/A, CX and XM - his last Citroen being an XM 3 litre 24v. I work as Technical Director at The Moulton Bicycle Company and drive both 2CV and C6 (he would often ask of the health of "the fantastic Citroen"). It is an unusual quirk in the history of hydraulic suspension that Alex Moulton's funeral was on the very same day that C6 production ceased.

The event below is free - please contact me for an invite if interested. Thanks.

The Life and Works of Alex Moulton 14th April at Central St Martins, London (2-6pm)

Join us for this half-day seminar to celebrate the life and works of Dr Alex Moulton RDI (1920-2012) engineer, designer and innovator.

Alex Moulton reinvented the bicycle as the Moulton Bicycle in 1962, designed and produced numerous vehicle suspension systems, including the patented Hydrolastic and Hydragas systems which were fitted to British Leyland/Rover vehicles over a period of 40 years, and contributed the unique rubber-cone suspension to Alec Issigonis's Mini (1959-2000).

A Royal Designer for Industry, member of the Fellowship of Engineering and Doctor of the Royal College of Art, Moulton was celebrated during his lifetime and his legacy continues today in the continuing work of the Moulton Bicycle Company, and in his influence on young engineers and designers.

The seminar will include presentations and a panel discussion involving prominent figures from the field of design. Guest speakers include Sir Christopher Frayling (an educationalist, writer, and former Rector of the Royal College of Art and Chairman of Arts Council England) and Sebastian Conran (designer and member of the outstanding Conran family of designers and design writers). The event will aim to put Moulton’s achievements into context and discuss the future of design and invention in the UK.
chillmax   
Tue Mar 31 2015, 10:03pm
Member No: #1648
Sounds interesting, I might be able to come, what should I do?

Thanks - Justin
Website
Dan595   
Fri Apr 03 2015, 10:16am
Hi Justin, you (and anyone else interested) can register using this link:

https://eventbrite.co.uk/event/15487735233/

Thanks, Dan
chillmax   
Fri Apr 03 2015, 09:31pm
Thanks Dan, I'll go and have a look; do you reckon I could park my 24v XM outside the front door, haha

JJ
Website
chillmax   
Mon Apr 13 2015, 11:21am
I'm going, anyone else?

JJ
Website
Dan595   
Fri Apr 17 2015, 10:22am
chillmax wrote ...

I'm going, anyone else?

JJ

Did you enjoy it?

Thanks,

Dan
chillmax   
Fri Apr 17 2015, 04:28pm
Hi Dan

I did, I was worried I might have trouble staying awake, but it was very enjoyable, the panel was great and I even enjoyed learning about the bikes, of which I previously knew nothing; I even came home wanting to buy one

I also bumped into a long lost friend, who's now a lecturer at St Martins, haven't seen him in over 16 years, so a great day!!

JJ
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club