Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Switches on the steering wheel/alloy wheels?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Mikko   
Wed Apr 15 2015, 09:19pm
Member No: #2109
Hey again,
thanks again for all who answered my previous questions. Looks like I might become a C6 owner...
Two little things I still would like to know:

1. the volume switches on the steering wheel. can they be replaced?? I ask because in the car i checked last week those are not quite in tact: the thin plastic surface layer of the switches on both sides feels as if it would have been melted and is loose. Is this common? would like to have those also in good shape. If they are replaceable, where to look for those and is it expensive?

2. in Finland we nee to have two sets of tires and this car only has one. So I would need to buy an extra set of both wheels and tires. Any recommendations where to look for them?

Best
Mikko
Jarecki   
Thu Apr 16 2015, 06:43am
Member No: #2069
Hi,
1. I have same problem - long nailed user made scratches on the button surface.
I made small research - on the ebay.uk is only one C6 steering wheel without buttons, but on our auction site there i have found some.
Here in the pictures you can see how they look like - Click Here -
So, it seems to me it is possilble to buy, but service only? Used all are broken.
2. Search the C6owners threads, there are few topics about wheels and tires

Greetings
C6Dave   
Thu Apr 16 2015, 07:54am

Member No: #1
There is a FAQ - Click Here - on wheels with a list of alternatives you could use at the end and for winter tyres, 17" steel wheels are better and easier to obtain.

You could also just buy a set of tyres and swap them over at the appropriate time (although having them on a separate set of rims is more cost effective in the long term.
Website
e3steve   
Tue May 05 2015, 10:51am
Member No: #1163
There is no 'thin plastic film' on the cruise-control buttons on the steering wheel, Mikko. The film that was on mine was just grime.

I cleaned the whole steering wheel, its stitching and the buttons' surfaces with baby wipes; all now looks like new!
cruiserphil   
Wed May 06 2015, 07:54pm

Member No: #38
E3,

Unfortunately there is! It was partially lifted on one of the cars and to give a smooth finish, I found the best approach was to peel it off completely. I'm not sure what causes it!

Best regards,

Phil C.
e3steve   
Thu May 07 2015, 07:26am
cruiserphil wrote ...

E3,

Unfortunately there is! It was partially lifted on one of the cars and to give a smooth finish, I found the best approach was to peel it off completely. I'm not sure what causes it!

Best regards,

Phil C.
I stand corrected; thanks Phil. I was putting my experience and observation before others' deeper knowledge! Ain't no film on mine; I'll post a pic when I get e3steve's C6steve out of my storage (I use my old Espace through the week).
Trainman   
Thu May 07 2015, 07:48am

Member No: #86

Mine also suffers from 'bubbling' on the steering wheel switches...... It just happened one day and hasn't happened since........ french electronics....
e3steve   
Sun May 10 2015, 10:49am
I've still not gotten around to getting a cotton bud into that top corner to get rid of that bit of grime:

dsharples   
Sun May 10 2015, 08:26pm
Member No: #119
I think there could have two types of buttons fitted. My C6's factory set of switches had a plastic rubber coating which bubbled and peeled to reveal "plain black buttons" underneath. I replaced them with a set that had the white markings painted on to the black plastic (which look the like the ones above).

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club