C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Fuel Tank Breather

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
David Hallworth   
Sun Mar 01 2015, 05:58pm

Member No: #90
This 2.2 C6 is running beautifully in every way apart from when it comes to fill it with fuel!

I've tried 3 pumps, holding the nozzle at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock when filling, I've tried starting it slowly and building up the speed, but nothing seems to work!

When I opened the filler cap today to look down the neck with a torch there was a little woosh of air rush out/in the tank which makes me think it's either pressurising or building a vacuum.

Does anyone know where the tank vent on the C6 is? I'd like to strip it down tomorrow and clean it out just so I can rule the fault out more then anything!

Thanks in advance!

David.
C6Dave   
Sun Mar 01 2015, 07:20pm

Member No: #1
David, look at the 2.2 fuel tank part guide - Click Here -
Website
David Hallworth   
Sun Mar 01 2015, 07:24pm

Thanks Dave.

Looks like the breather pipe just runs from the middle of that tank back up to the filler neck. Will try and get a look under the floor of the car tomorrow and see if I can get the airline on the pipe to blow through it.

David.
David Hallworth   
Tue Mar 03 2015, 09:43pm

RIght, I've tried to blow compressed air through the breather line from the tank with no success. When trying to fill it tonight it took forever to get £10 in it so I gave up and went home.

Looks like I've got no choice but to remove the fuel tank and get a proper look at it now

David.
BillTodd   
Tue Mar 03 2015, 11:05pm
Member No: #1775
Just wondering, but is there any kind of fuel leak preventer device fitted to the tank? (i.e. something that closes the breather in the event of a prang)

Bill
David Hallworth   
Wed Mar 04 2015, 01:12am

There's nothing that I can see, Bill.

The Range Rover Diesels have a mis-fueling device fitted to them that blocks the filler neck in the event of a petrol nozzle being placed in the filler, I've had a look at the C6 but can't see any information on that either, and after sticking a camera down the filler tonight I can't see one.

Whatever it is, it's [%*^#@!] annoying!

David.
David Hallworth   
Wed Mar 04 2015, 10:17pm

Well I've had a good poke around this tonight and am now convinced that it's not the breather that's blocked.

I took the pump out of the tank and found a spring rolling around the bottom of the tank (picture later, phone battery flat just now). Everything looked OK so I took it to try and get some Diesel and it was exactly the same as before.

When I bought the car it was pictured with nearly 3/4 of a tank of Diesel in it. When the car arrived here there wasn't even enough fuel in it to make the bottom block on the gauge appear on the dash.

My guess is they've siphoned out the Diesel by shoving a hose down the tank. The spring probably belongs to a flap or something at the bottom of the filler neck and I'm guessing they've broken something.

I've tried to get my hand into the tank to have a feel about but can't quite manage it, and putting an inspection camera down the filler neck revealed nothing much either. I've got a feeling I'm going to have to put this into the dealer as I don't fancy removing the fuel tank.

Fingers crossed they don't say it needs a new tank as they've £644!!
David Hallworth   
Wed Mar 04 2015, 11:24pm

Picture of the spring as promised:

David.
gmerry   
Thu Mar 05 2015, 10:54am
Member No: #21
Hi David, the little bu*&^%$£s for causing you this problem.

You have an endoscopic camera, thats cool.

Could you poke in a small nylon tube (say around 8mm) down the filler and just get that into the tank but near the top. The camera would help you position the end of the nylon tube, not too deep not too shallow

That should act as a temporary breather and enable you to get some fuel in and also help with the diagnostics.

Regards
G
David Hallworth   
Thu Mar 05 2015, 05:21pm

Well, it's in the dealers now. I was thinking about it last night as I could smell diesel from my hands and arms and decided that I've remembered why I don't like diesels.

They were busy today so were going to look at it if they could, failing that they were going to get to it tomorrow morning.

David.
David Hallworth   
Fri Mar 06 2015, 07:13pm

The car came back from Citroen Glasgow today with a report confirming what I already knew.

"There's something stopping fuel going into the tank, it could be the valve on the breather line but we'd need to remove the tank to be sure".

I was quoted 5 hours to remove the tank, over £600 for a tank, and another £400 or so as "it makes sense to replace the sender unit whilst it's all out", then another securing ring and seal for the pump. Total bill before any labour being added was over £900. They reckon'd it'd probably need a tank once stripped anyway.

So... the car is now back at home, it'll be on the ramp tonight and hopefully the tank will be on the workshop floor before I go to bed. I've started to do a bit of digging and there might be two breakers about that I've approached asking for a fuel tank.

Fingers crossed there's no unexpected hurdles to jump along the way!

David.
BillTodd   
Fri Mar 06 2015, 10:30pm
David,

I would not have expected the nozzle limiter/flap (which is where I guess the spring is from) to be part of the tank. I would have thought it'd be part of the filler neck ???

What's the betting the breather is opened by the flap and the herberts that drained the fuel have buggered the mechanism ?

[edit]

this is a stylized picture but it does suggest the flap opens the breather tube and closes it when the nozzle is removed

- Click Here -
David Hallworth   
Fri Mar 06 2015, 10:47pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Bill.

That system is designed as part of an anti fuel system I believe, because the petrol pumps have a smaller nozzle they won't open the breather, restricting the amount of wrong fuel that can be used. From what I can see there's no system like that fitted to the C6.

The other unfortunate thing about the C6 fuel tank is that the filler neck is part of the tank. The whole [%*^#@!] thing only comes as one part

Will get another look at it during daylight tomorrow and see what I can find.

David.
C6Dave   
Sat Mar 07 2015, 08:24am

Member No: #1
David Hallworth wrote ...

That system is designed as part of an anti fuel system I believe, because the petrol pumps have a smaller nozzle they won't open the breather, restricting the amount of wrong fuel that can be used. From what I can see there's no system like that fitted to the C6.

Correct, there's nothing stopping you putting petrol into a C6 Diesel tank.

BTW That 'dodgy' C6 you posted on is looking more financially attractive all the time........
Website
BillTodd   
Sat Mar 07 2015, 09:42am
C6Dave wrote ...

Correct, there's nothing stopping you putting petrol into a C6 Diesel tank.

BTW That 'dodgy' C6 you posted on is looking more financially attractive all the time........

What I mean is that the flat mechanism may well close the breather even on a 'normal' filler.

I agree that parts prices may well set the floor for the apparent free-fall of s/h values
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club