Alternator Pulley for TD2.7 C6

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Cisco   
Mon Feb 09 2015, 07:31pm
Member No: #1429
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a recent ebay link for the correct alternator pulley clutch for the 2.7 C6.

I found the VKM item 03303 but the site says it is not suitable for the C6!

There is a Gates item but has no part no's that match what I can see in the forum.

Thanks in advance,

ps I found the Sealey SX400 tool
cruiserphil   
Mon Feb 09 2015, 09:15pm

Member No: #38
Cisco,

I presume we're talking 2.7 HDI?

If so have a look at this detail of the SKF part - Click Here -.The details check out and the referenced Bosch alternator is the correct no. If the photo is of the actual article, the extra non grooved front on the pulley is identical to the Bosch type. Price is good too!

The original Bosch part no. for the pulley is F00M391100. If you search under this no. you'll find cheaper equivalent pulleys that don't have the non grooved front and are lighter as a result (search images and you'll see the difference). They work fine, but don't last as long as the heavier version, from my experience.

Also Gbl confirmed in a post that he fitted this SKF pulley and that it is identical to the original Bosch pulley.

I last got a Bosch pulley from Neatcarparts but I searched their site and they don't appear to have any in stock.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Phil C.

Cisco   
Mon Feb 09 2015, 09:48pm
Hi phil,

Thanks for your reply

The SKF seems to be the same part as the VKM item I found, except yours is about £30 cheaper!!

I guess I'll give it a go.

ATB,

Frank
321dave   
Tue Feb 10 2015, 08:55am
Member No: #614
Cisco wrote ...

Hi phil,

Thanks for your reply

The SKF seems to be the same part as the VKM item I found, except yours is about £30 cheaper!!

I guess I'll give it a go.

ATB,

Frank

Hi Phil,
i just purchased the clutch pulley as well now, very good price, plus the delivery was nearly free as well. Total was €84.54

I bought the wrong pulley last week and had to return it, which was annoyiny, but the code was almost the same. This forum is a great help. Thanks again.

kind regards
321dave
cruiserphil   
Tue Feb 10 2015, 06:47pm

Frank, 321Dave,

Don't forget to let us know how you get on!

Best regards,

Phil C.
gbl   
Tue Feb 10 2015, 07:50pm
Member No: #936
Cisco wrote ...

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a recent ebay link for the correct alternator pulley clutch for the 2.7 C6.

I found the VKM item 03303 but the site says it is not suitable for the C6!

There is a Gates item but has no part no's that match what I can see in the forum.

Thanks in advance,

ps I found the Sealey SX400 tool

Hi Cisco,
VKM is an SKF parts numbering designation, and VKM 03303 indeed fits the alternator on the 2.7 HDi.
Best regards
gbl
cruiserphil   
Tue Feb 10 2015, 09:14pm

Lads,

Something I found that may be of use - Click Here -. The Sealey tool is the same as the SKF tool but you might find the fitting torque figure useful!

I presume FAP means 'Freewheel Alternator Pulley?'

Best regards,

Phil C.
Cisco   
Tue Feb 17 2015, 08:06pm
Hi guys,

I did this job today and have posted some pics in case it helps. I got the replacement from the site posted by Phil earlier in this thread. It is identical to the one removed as you can see.

Here you can see arrangement to relieve tension to remove the aux belt, air intake pike and manifold already removed.

Here is the removed tensioner together with Phil's coathanger lock

Here is the alternator with the pulley removed. The brown dust is the teltale..my pulley was freewheeling in both directions. Clean the shaft with brake cleaner before installing new pulley.

Here is the new pulley being torqued to 80Nm. I thought this would be tight but there was enough room to get a 1/2" torque wrench in there as you can see.

That last pic of the torque arrangement

Hope this helps and Big Thanks for the invaluable pointers I found on the site from quite a few of you to do this job
cruiserphil   
Tue Feb 17 2015, 10:00pm

Thanks for posting the results Frank!
Glad it went well!

Best regards,

Phil C.
321dave   
Wed Feb 18 2015, 03:32pm
Member No: #614
Hi Guys,
just waiting on the SX400 alternator pulley removal kit to arrive before the weekend and will post back how i get on. This job will also be done hopefully while im replacing the front suspenion components on both sides.

kind regards
321dave
gmerry   
Tue Feb 28 2017, 11:49am
Member No: #21
Hi, my alternator pulley has just thrown in the towel, about 67,000 miles on the clock. No noises or any warnings except the SERVICE light and message in the central screen saying something like Battery / Alternator not charging.

Is this the most up to date post if I want to add a photo for the tooling - alternator pulley changed in situ?

regards
Cisco   
Tue Feb 28 2017, 04:08pm
Hi Gordon,

Goes without saying if there are no symptoms (noise/red dust) that you need to check the pulley is actually gone before you tool up for that job. Loosening off the serpentine belt and rotating the pulley will allow you to verify this.

You won't be happy if you replace the pulley only to find out there is actually another "real" problem with the alternator

ATB Frank
gmerry   
Tue Feb 28 2017, 04:41pm
Hi Frank, its all changed now and the car is driving OK without any more warnings. No rust, but I could rotate the old pulley both ways in my hand.

I was just going to post a picture of the tooling, in case someone else was trying to change the pulley in-situ with the most common tooling which is a little too long for the clearance.

regards
gmerry   
Thu Mar 02 2017, 09:19am
As mentioned a few days ago, I've changed the alternator clutch pulley due to charging warnings (and a flat battery).

The pulley was purchased some years ago from Rotating Machines Ltd and their part number is 624-OE. I see they still stock the item - Click Here -

There is a plastic dust cover over the end of the pulley which needs to be removed before the removal tool can be inserted.

When it came to removing the pulley with the alternator in-situ, I had a small problem in that the pulley removal tool (Torx bit, 33 tooth spline and square 1/2" adaptor) was too long at 120mm length plus the addition of a 1/2" drive Tee Bar (my most compact 1/2" driver)

A little bit of heat on the outside of the 1/2" square drive adaptor soon had that off to reveal a 10mm hex on the end of the Torx bit. With the 10mm podger driver, the overall length was now down to 94mm which was a comfortable fit (between the end of the alternator and the aircon tubing).

I suppose one could use a very heavy walled 10mm single hex impact socket to grip the end of the Torx bit. Or make a podger driver(heavy press fit of a 10mm impact socket into a lump of steel). As you can see, mine is very old and has seen a lot of service.

regards

Note ignore the fact that the pictures show the splined driver the wrong way around on the Torx bit!!!
- Click Here -

Note 2, here's a typical pulley removal tool on Ebay (pre my modification)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club