C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Coolant fluid leaks again…

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
joopajaa   
Thu Oct 25 2018, 09:15am
Member No: #3261
This pipe is a major problem here in North with C5 and the same pipe is installed on C6. Not sure if I did any good for the subject I painted the rusted pipe with zinc-spray and made a shield for it (hanging on the wheel well) from a sheet of thin rubber just to prevent major rocks/sand to rumble the pipe anymore.

Pain in the ass to change - many DIY's for C5 back here are done with cutting the pipe, removing a part of it and sliding a rubber hose over. This may do the job for few years but not for good..
leedsspacheship   
Thu Oct 25 2018, 01:42pm
Member No: #3707
joopajaa wrote ...

This pipe is a major problem here in North with C5 and the same pipe is installed on C6. Not sure if I did any good for the subject I painted the rusted pipe with zinc-spray and made a shield for it (hanging on the wheel well) from a sheet of thin rubber just to prevent major rocks/sand to rumble the pipe anymore.

Pain in the ass to change - many DIY's for C5 back here are done with cutting the pipe, removing a part of it and sliding a rubber hose over. This may do the job for few years but not for good..

Yes, seems to be a bit of an oversight by Citroen to leave a pipe which is so close to the road so exposed to the elements. I'm amazed it has lasted 11 years quite frankly.

Does anybody know the name of this particular pipe? Citroen weren't much help and the one garage who think they know what it is have quoted more than £300 to replace it.
MGmike   
Thu Oct 25 2018, 05:21pm
Member No: #3151
leedsspacheship wrote ...

Does anybody know the name of this particular pipe? Citroen weren't much help and the one garage who think they know what it is have quoted more than £300 to replace it.

It's a heater supply or return (can't remember which way the water flows!) and as mentioned above, it's a pig to change with the engine and gearbox in situ. Pay the £300 in the knowledge that someone will have a worse day than you, no matter how bad yours was....
leedsspacheship   
Fri Oct 26 2018, 11:20am
MGmike wrote ...

It's a heater supply or return (can't remember which way the water flows!) and as mentioned above, it's a pig to change with the engine and gearbox in situ. Pay the £300 in the knowledge that someone will have a worse day than you, no matter how bad yours was....

Citroen have now got back to me and diagnosed it as the water outlet hose (part 1351KW) as opposed to the coolant pipe (part 6466HA) as diagnosed by the independent garage. The water outlet hose replacement is an eye-watering £600 so I'm really hoping it is actually the coolant pipe and just the £300.
321dave   
Fri Oct 26 2018, 11:59am
Member No: #614

MGmike wrote ...

Citroen have now got back to me and diagnosed it as the water outlet hose (part 1351KW) as opposed to the coolant pipe (part 6466HA) as diagnosed by the independent garage. The water outlet hose replacement is an eye-watering £600 so I'm really hoping it is actually the coolant pipe and just the £300.

HI leedsspacheship,
i think MGmike is right. I did both jobs myself when i purchased my C6 as i had the famous passenger side wheel arch pipe leaking slowly on me (it really is a great example of a designed to fail part), beautifully executed with a light dusting of paint to protect it, pity, but that is life as they say. Anyway long story short. i would pay the garage to replace it now if it happened again.
I managed (somehow, god only knows how as it was 3yrs ago now) to replace the new pipe in one whole piece, but it really is very difficult. Much better to at least follow Crusierphils tutorial on the forum or best of all, pay and get the garage do it for you. Anyway, best of luck any which way you tackle the pipe!

kind regards
Dave
leedsspacheship   
Fri Oct 26 2018, 04:51pm
321dave wrote ...

MGmike wrote ...

HI leedsspacheship,
i think MGmike is right. I did both jobs myself when i purchased my C6 as i had the famous passenger side wheel arch pipe leaking slowly on me (it really is a great example of a designed to fail part), beautifully executed with a light dusting of paint to protect it, pity, but that is life as they say. Anyway long story short. i would pay the garage to replace it now if it happened again.
I managed (somehow, god only knows how as it was 3yrs ago now) to replace the new pipe in one whole piece, but it really is very difficult. Much better to at least follow Crusierphils tutorial on the forum or best of all, pay and get the garage do it for you. Anyway, best of luck any which way you tackle the pipe!

kind regards
Dave

Thanks Dave - I usually fancy myself to fix most things, but having read how difficult it sounds to do this in one piece, I've left the car at the indy garage for them to do it for me. Citroen quoting me £600 for the water outlet hose has magically made the £300 for the coolant pipe much more palatable!
Paulius   
Fri Oct 26 2018, 05:50pm
Member No: #1821
I solved my problem before it struck. It's a good thing I checked that pipe when changing the timing belt, as it was starting to leak already.
Also, the oil pan had developed a rust spot which was getting oily (replacet that as well).

dme88   
Tue Jan 19 2021, 11:06am
Member No: #4020
Link to DIY - Click Here -
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club