C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Coolant fluid leaks again…

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Sun Mar 01 2015, 07:16pm

Member No: #1
There is a whole existing thread on fitting the coolant level sensor explaining how to wire it in etc. - Click Here -
Website
staffan   
Wed Mar 11 2015, 11:40am
Member No: #2037
Hello again! Now I have reached the thermostat house, and you were right, it is leaking here! I have to order a new one and try to get the 100000 pipes back together again. Anyone wants to trade it for a GS?
staffan   
Fri Mar 13 2015, 12:04pm
Member No: #2037
ok. Now I got it all together again with my new thermostat house. Is it possible this happened due to lack of proper bleeding?
321dave   
Thu Jul 07 2016, 04:17pm
Member No: #614
Found a small coolant leak on Saturday. Ordered the part and fitted it yesterday, all fine now. Not much of the original coolant pipes left to change from the trouble list!

321dave   
Thu Jul 07 2016, 04:25pm
When i received the new part, i noticed some corrosion inside the pipe section, not the outside? Strange quality pipe!

cruiserphil   
Thu Jul 07 2016, 05:06pm

Member No: #38
321Dave,

Probably from the hydraulic test post manufacture

Best regards,

Phil C.
321dave   
Thu Jul 07 2016, 07:14pm
Sure it will be fine, its in better condition than the one it replaced! The replaced pipe was alot worse, must put up a photo of it. Thanks Phil.
e3steve   
Sat Aug 06 2016, 07:09am
Member No: #1163
321dave wrote ...

Found a small coolant leak on Saturday. Ordered the part and fitted it yesterday, all fine now. Not much of the original coolant pipes left to change from the trouble list!

Mine's the same, Dave. Getting a bit tired of the smell of hot coolant and b l o o d y dribbles everywhere!

It's just over three years, and 25k-miles, since my first incursion to replace the split output tank ('stat housing), so I guess it's nearly time to start the entire cooling system refurb process again...
321dave   
Sat Aug 06 2016, 01:31pm
Hi Steve,
Would you believe, I've another two coolant pipes to go in soon. Even after all I've changed recently, I still have a dribble somewhere. It's one hell of a coolant system to shore up!! I keep trying though. I think the leak is coming from one of these last remaining pipes.
gmerry   
Sat Aug 06 2016, 05:14pm
Member No: #21
Hi Dave, if you are tracking down small leaks, one way is to pressurise the system cold. I use a bicycle track pump which has a gauge. Generally one can hear any air escaping.

Regards
G
321dave   
Sat Aug 06 2016, 08:24pm
Hi G,
that's a good idea, I might try that this time. How would you link the pump up to the coolant system? I'm guessing through the coolant reservoir cap. Maybe drill a hole in an old cap and attach the pump.
gmerry   
Sun Aug 07 2016, 05:40pm
Member No: #21
Hi Dave, I use the Presta valve from a bicycle tube to male the connection: the rubber stub on the end of the stem in combination with the threaded stem makes for a good seal in whatever you drill a hole.
321dave   
Sun Aug 07 2016, 07:37pm
Thanks G, I'll give that a try. When I changed over to the new hydraulic tank and front spheres recently I used a hand pump successfully to get the necessary pressure into the tank. Never thought to try that on the coolant circuit. Thanks again for the tip.
frozenbeard81   
Mon Aug 22 2016, 02:30pm
Member No: #2503
e3steve wrote ...

staffan wrote ...

I put back the hose and took it for a shorter trip. No problem. Heat is working. Temp in oil and temp in water looks ok at the display. So I took it food a longer trip (two hours). Now the level is below low again. I don't understand this. I hope I didn't get gasket or top catastrophe, but i don't really understand what else it can be? What symptoms do you get if the water pump stops working? How do I continue?
Pay very close attention to the Coolant Output Tank (thermostat housing, in real terms!); it's nesting under the throttle butterfly housing 'Y'-split and in between the front and rear cylinder heads, close to the timing belt cover.

I've developed a coolant leak. Started loosing coolant, topped up and got correct level two days ago. Checked this morning and it's dropped again. So I get home and bare in mind I have expansion cap off header revved car to 4000rpm after about 10 seconds a lot of steam and coolant [%*^#@!] out from that area but could have been tank I didn't see from the angle I was standing.

If it is thermostat housing can i expect major wallet pain?
321dave   
Mon Aug 22 2016, 05:44pm
Ya, most likely one of the two dreaded coolant tanks! If it's wet on top it's the thermostat housing most likely. Have you literally no coolant left in the tank, like it's been drained? I was very lucky when my inlet tank failed as I was preparing to do another job like change my engine sump for a new one. I drove the car in to the garage and parked and nearly slipped on the fluid at the back of the car when I walked around. My heart sank when I saw that red halfords coolant colour!!! No doubt the cars single biggest weakness, it's ageing coolant circuit. 6 pipes left and mine will be all replaced, because I'm aware of one pipe near the rad, with a plastic union that has started recently to weep coolant, eventually down the road the union will split. I'm not leaving this one to chance again!
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club