C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Coolant fluid leaks again…

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
staffan   
Tue Feb 03 2015, 01:44am
Member No: #2037
Hello, having some problems with my 2,7 diesel v6. First it started to leak most of the coolant from some stupid placed pipe that was completely corroded, obviously because it is placed near the left wheel and completely unprotected.I found out about the leak by noticing the heat was malfunctioning, it had so warning sensor for the water level at all… I got home safe, whiteout overheating. I cut the rusty part off and replaced the leaking section whith a standard hose, inner diameter 19 mm.

I also ordered new pipe to fix it better when you don't have to lie in snow the hole weekends just to get your car working until next monday… (Live in sweden, it is very cold, and my garage is full of idiotic citroen ds-projects.) Anyway, i got it fixed. I thought. Drove for a week, nice and warm. The level of water was ok. But now the stupid car starts to leak most of the coolant on the other side!

I think it might be the plastic expansion-tank or somewhere under it? My question is, can this be explained from the fact that i did not really have the equipment and knowledge to fluid the system in the right way after the operation last weekend? Anyone wants to taka a guess what is most likely to e leaking?
C6Dave   
Tue Feb 03 2015, 08:47am

Member No: #1
Coolant tank itself or thermostat housing are quite common fails.
Website
cruiserphil   
Tue Feb 03 2015, 03:03pm

Member No: #38
Straffan,

The issue of coolant leaks and potential sources and repair are well covered in this forum by members.

Best regards,

Phil C.
staffan   
Tue Feb 03 2015, 05:37pm
Thanks! I find it a little hard to find the right info here, but I learn more and more from reading here!
C6Dave   
Tue Feb 03 2015, 06:40pm

Member No: #1
staffan wrote ...

Thanks! I find it a little hard to find the right info here, but I learn more and more from reading here!

Use Google - in Google search use 'c6owners.org coolant loss' etc. as a search term rather than the site search

You will find - Click Here - and this - Click Here - plus - Click Here - and - Click Here -

just add c6owners.org in front of whatever term you want to search for
Website
gmerry   
Tue Feb 03 2015, 06:48pm
Member No: #21
Hi, good advice from all.

The thermostat tank which sits in the V of the engine towards the cambelt end is the No 1 suspect. Remove engine cover and look closely under the air intake throttle housing.

A recent post suggests revving the engine with the bonnet open (get an assistant) and this makes it much more obvious if this plastic "tank" is leaking..

Regards
G
staffan   
Tue Feb 03 2015, 06:54pm
Thanks to you all! Now I feel better. (Lucky thing I still have my old BX 14 as a "extra car"…)
staffan   
Wed Feb 04 2015, 10:21am
Found the leak! Looks like it was just the hose under the plastic tank that was pushed off! I have put it back and now i am trying to understand how to bleed the system properly. I assume that was what was missing the last time...
patcrean406   
Wed Feb 04 2015, 06:51pm
Member No: #1894
Hi straffin. Mine was leaking in exactly the same place. I spotted the return pipe off on mine when removing the LDS tank. Just by chance I spotted it. Lucky. Really must get around to changing the coolant tank with a 407 sensor one.
staffan   
Fri Feb 20 2015, 04:05pm
I put back the hose and took it for a shorter trip. No problem. Heat is working. Temp in oil and temp in water looks ok at the display. So I took it food a longer trip (two hours). Now the level is below low again. I don't understand this. I hope I didn't get gasket or top catastrophe, but i don't really understand what else it can be? What symptoms do you get if the water pump stops working? How do I continue?
e3steve   
Sat Feb 21 2015, 12:22pm
Member No: #1163
staffan wrote ...

I put back the hose and took it for a shorter trip. No problem. Heat is working. Temp in oil and temp in water looks ok at the display. So I took it food a longer trip (two hours). Now the level is below low again. I don't understand this. I hope I didn't get gasket or top catastrophe, but i don't really understand what else it can be? What symptoms do you get if the water pump stops working? How do I continue?
Pay very close attention to the Coolant Output Tank (thermostat housing, in real terms!); it's nesting under the throttle butterfly housing 'Y'-split and in between the front and rear cylinder heads, close to the timing belt cover.

staffan   
Sun Mar 01 2015, 05:07pm
Thanks steve! Looks like you might be right. Leaks somewhere under the "Y". I have to figure out how to fix that as well…

Looks like it is dripping somewhere under the belt on the right side??
David Hallworth   
Sun Mar 01 2015, 05:38pm

Member No: #90
patcrean406 wrote ...

Really must get around to changing the coolant tank with a 407 sensor one.

Can you elaborate on this a bit more? Just out of interest more then anything. Does the C6 reservoir not have a low coolant sensor on it?

David.
staffan   
Sun Mar 01 2015, 05:40pm
No! It can leak all the coolant whiteout warning. And it will… This stupid pipe will rust.
David Hallworth   
Sun Mar 01 2015, 05:48pm

Member No: #90
Is the wiring there on the C6 to plug the sensor that's fitted to the 407 reservoir?

Edit: Upon checking the part numbers, the C6 reservoir is 1323S7, when checking the 407 Coupe with the 2.7 HDi engine in it, the part number is the same and there's no picture of a level sensor in the parts catalogue.

Which model of 407 is the reservoir from?

I've run Range Rover P38's for years, they've got a habit of going porous and using coolant but the biggest problem with them is there's no sensor either. They can use coolant for years as long as you don't overheat them... If this is a possibility on the C6 I'd quite happily upgrade the coolant bottle to take a low level sensor.

The BMW 3 series coolant bottle is almost identical and has a sensor but the outlet from the bottle is at 90 degrees to the bottle whereas the LR one is at 45 degrees. The BMW one makes the hose foul on the ABS block unfortunately.

Thankfully the newer Supercharged one beeps for the slightest of niggles!

David.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club