Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Buying a second hand car (how do you do it nowadays?)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
BillTodd   
Tue Jan 06 2015, 11:25am
Member No: #1775
Mod's please move as appropriate

How do you buy a second hand car these days?

In the days of sanity, before the database ruled and guilt was not assumed until proven, it was possible to buy the car then sort everything out afterwards at a sensible time of the day.

So what is the procedure now? You can no longer turn up with a bundle of 'readies' and buy a car...

How do you insure a car you do not own? (because it won't be taxed when you buy it)

Does the previous owner have to 'sorn' the vehicle with one hand while shaking hands on the deal with the other? (to avoid being possession of a untaxed vehicle)

Can the transfer of ownership be delayed? (to enable the car to be driven to its new home)

What a load of ********** , makes you proud the be british !!!!

Bill

gmerry   
Tue Jan 06 2015, 12:35pm
Member No: #21
Yes Bill, its a pain.

Check out the RAC site that deals with this. Basically thay state that DVLA offer a 24 hour automated taxing service, over the phone. Then you would have had to prearrange provisional cover with your broker or insurance company (activated on notice to them and after tax is in place).

Basically it tightens up on the grey area around transfer of the registered keeper. In extremis you could collect a 2nd hand car on a trailer or transporter. There is a financial incentive for the previous owner to complete the transfer notification because they will automatically get the tax refund.

Regards
G

PS, also remember the whole DVLA thing is only about the registered keeper, NOT the legal owner.
BillTodd   
Tue Jan 06 2015, 02:54pm
wrote ...
Then you would have had to prearrange provisional cover with your broker or insurance company (activated on notice to them and after tax is in place).

Surely you'd have to have insurance in place and HMG's database notified for the vehicle to be taxed over the phone?

The obvious way to handle this would be to: visit shake hands & pay and exchange V5, go home, organise insurance, tax vehicle then get a lift to the new car, in order to drive it home.

Which is fine if the vehicle is just 'down the road' but not if it's 200+ miles away!
C6Dave   
Tue Jan 06 2015, 04:31pm

Member No: #1
I bought my DS, transferred the money via my bank account online, phoned the insurance co to put the car 'on risk', then using the V5 number taxed the car online, all with the sellers permission via his wifi network, using my laptop.......
Website
Hattershaun   
Tue Jan 06 2015, 11:44pm
Member No: #320
DVLA no longer check insurance is in place when a car is 'taxed'.

It is however the owner's/register keeper's responsibility to make sure the car is insured.

If a car is not insured it must be declared as SORN.

DVLA do check for a current MOT certificate, before a car can be taxed.

This has been the case for over 12 months now, so predates the abolition of the tax disc.

The same thing happens at a Post Office - no check on insurance.

I recently purchased a car from a private seller and used the DVLA's website to notify of the change of ownership and taxed the car at the point of sale, whilst at the seller's house. Insurance was already in place. Thereafter I was able to drive the new car legally. All very easy as long as you are prepared in advance.

Think about this bizarre scenario. You have a car manufactured before 1960. It is exempt from having an MOT and the cost of the tax is zero, yet you still have to 'tax' it once a year or declare it SORN. No money changes hands, no bits of paper are issued, nothing is displayed on the car.

It's all a computer based load of complexity which really is just asking the Registered Keeper to make an annual declaration of the car's status.

C6Dave   
Wed Jan 07 2015, 08:22am

Member No: #1
Hattershaun wrote ...

Think about this bizarre scenario. You have a car manufactured before 1960. It is exempt from having an MOT and the cost of the tax is zero, yet you still have to 'tax' it once a year or declare it SORN. No money changes hands, no bits of paper are issued, nothing is displayed on the car.

It's all a computer based load of complexity which really is just asking the Registered Keeper to make an annual declaration of the car's status.

Yep, that's what I have to do with the Traction
Website
BillTodd   
Wed Jan 07 2015, 11:41am
wrote ...
DVLA no longer check insurance is in place when a car is 'taxed'.

Gob-smacked (naively assumed it was checked when last renewed online!)

Just shows HMG's priorities Money, money, money...

Bill
drummond   
Thu Jan 08 2015, 08:51pm
Member No: #238
Sorry, Shaun, I'm with Dave on this- buying and selling with used notes is so last year!

My Light 15 (1939 model!) has to go through the non existent process once a year, but it takes three minutes on the computer- rather quicker than before. Yes, I know what you mean, but there it is.

I've got a French registered (and it's in France) Onze Normale, and apart from the registration document, there's absolutely nothing to tell anyone that I own it. I like that!
Rog   
Thu Jan 08 2015, 10:55pm
When I bought my VS recently I took cash, used the number from the new owners supplement of the log book to tax on dvla website [had called ahead to get this from current owner], and had made prior arrangements with insurance company re cover
Hattershaun   
Fri Jan 09 2015, 03:03pm
Member No: #320
drummond wrote ...

Sorry, Shaun, I'm with Dave on this- buying and selling with used notes is so last year!

I'm not really sure what you mean by this Tim. I only talked about tax discs and MOTs.
For the car I bought, a bank transfer was made.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club