xCarlink on RT3, use phone

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
guznax   
Sun Dec 14 2014, 12:28pm
Member No: #1911
Hi Guys,

Recently I bought a c6 3.0 petrol from 2006. It was modified to RT3 with MP3 and Phone with dual sim. I would like to install an xcarlink for my Iphone on the CD entrance of the RT3. I read all topics on this forum, but I can't find any information about using the iPhone with the xCarlink.

My question is:
Does the xcarlink work with the calling-function on the iphone? So can I pick-up the Phone and use the buttons in the car and does it switch to the car microphone?

I asssume I have to connect the 'ipod' as well as the 'aux' to the Iphone, so the microphone on the iphone is switched off?

Thanks in advance,

xander
guznax   
Thu Dec 18 2014, 10:57pm
really no experiences?
hmm..thats disappointing
C6Dave   
Fri Dec 19 2014, 08:54am

Member No: #1
No one with a C6 has fitted one.

Members at C4owners have though which use the same head units etc. - Click Here -

The xcarlink page on RT3 should help as well - Click Here -
Website
Jodyone   
Fri Dec 19 2014, 10:31am
Member No: #1240
I was going to buy one of these last year, but in the end I bought a second-hand Citroen USB box. The unfortunate thing with the USB box is that the iPod connection doesn't show track information and so on on the car screen, on the RT3. This would be fine by me if I could still control the iPod normally, but that is disabled too..! (I hate it when manufacturers do that- knock out the iPod controls- Apple do know a thing or two about user interfaces..?!) Occasionally I leave an iPod connected on shuffle, and take what I get.

However, I knew this going in. The reason I bought the USB box was so I could connect my iPhone to its aux socket, and do everything from the phone. In the end I used a Kinovo bluetooth receiver - Click Here - to connect the two (because I hate trailing cables), and everything works great. I use Siri ("Hey, Siri..!") for hands-free calling. The iPhone is mounted on a Brodit cradle for Satnav duties in any case.

Ultimately, the only benefit of this arrangement over the aux sockets in the glovebox is higher volume, but it's worth it to me!
mercuryrv   
Fri Dec 19 2014, 11:38am
Member No: #1848
Do I understand you correctly, you have the RT3 (the early version of radio etc as in a 2006/7 car) and you plug this unit into the aux audio input in the glovebox existing jack plugs (the unit that has three plug sockets in it) and it all works fine? Does it allow you to use the iPHONE for all the functions with the unit you show as a link? Thanks for the info. Simon (Mercury RV)
Jodyone   
Fri Dec 19 2014, 03:08pm
Member No: #1240
mercuryrv wrote ...

Do I understand you correctly, you have the RT3 (the early version of radio etc as in a 2006/7 car) and you plug this unit into the aux audio input in the glovebox existing jack plugs (the unit that has three plug sockets in it) and it all works fine? Does it allow you to use the iPHONE for all the functions with the unit you show as a link? Thanks for the info. Simon (Mercury RV)

Hi Simon,

Not quite. The USB Box is installed as a replacement of the CD autochanger in the boot. The autochanger is disconnected, and the USB Box plugged in instead. It's fairly straightforward to do, there are guides around on the internet.

The USB Box then presents a DIN-style socket for a dedicated iPod/ iPhone cable (old style), and a straightforward 3.5mm audio jack, and autoselects either one, depending on which is in use. You chose CD as the head unit source, and everything works as expected. The aux is effectively the same thing as using the aux socket in the glovebox, without the peculiarly low volume. The iPod connection theoretically passes track information and so on to the head unit display, but this only works on RT4 and above, which leaves RT3 users without track control.

The bluetooth device I linked to works superbly. It's very discreet, allows easy control of iPhone and music (there are dedicated play/pause and track skip buttons on the main button thing), has a good quality mike for clear conversation, and connects automatically. The combination works very well, for me.
guznax   
Sat Dec 20 2014, 07:53pm
hi Guy's,

Thanks for replying.
A few weeks ago I bought this one:

- Click Here -

It works fine. The sound is well. The bluetooth works well.
For calling i'm using the blue-tooth button and the microphone.

I control the music on the Iphone, because the car-controls and display do not work. I'm using it for a few weeks and it's a keeper.

regards, Xander

jacktherev   
Fri Dec 26 2014, 06:08pm
Member No: #1423
Ive got a 2009 C6 and Ive got a Sim card in it and I just transfer my calls from my iPhone when I'm in my car to the car one. Absolutely no probe at all.
e3steve   
Sun Dec 28 2014, 11:00am
Member No: #1163
jacktherev wrote ...

Ive got a 2009 C6 and Ive got a Sim card in it and I just transfer my calls from my iPhone when I'm in my car to the car one. Absolutely no probe at all.
I've been doing exactly the same, Jack, for almost two years now. I use GiffGaff PAYG, here in England, which is on O2's network (as is Tesco Mobile). Call diverts are free, GG to GG.

O2 isn't anything like as good as Vodafone for coverage, although they're both 900mHz and much better than the 1800mHz bands -- EE, Orange, T-Mobile, 3, etc -- all of which fall down on rural coverage and on building penetration.

My iPhone SIM costs £10 a month for 500mins voice, unlimited SMS texts and 1GB 3G. I've just upped to a 5C, which is 4G-capable, and my new 'Goodybag' gives me 3GB 4G data for £12 until April; £15 thereafter. When I'm abroad in Europe my bill is around £10 more for two months' of making & receiving calls & texts. I don't use data when roaming, except in extreme circumstances.

I load £5 on my in-car SIM every four or five months.

I needed to copy my Favourites onto the RT3 modem's directory initially, but that was no big deal. Adding numbers is a bit of a work-up, but do-able.

Making calls when driving is just a question of pressing & holding the Entertainment stalk's end button then using the roller and the same button to navigate the directory and, ultimately, to invoke or to end calls.
guznax   
Sat Jan 03 2015, 12:56am
Thanks for replying.

Dual sim is not an option, because my wife en I both our own iphones in the car. The one who has the dual sim in the car can be called in the car when someone else is driving. I read people complaining about it o the dutch forum (when two or more people were driving the car with a dual dim in it).

So that's only a usable option when there is only one driver.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club