Citroen C6 Exclusive just purchased!!!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
pgrant5   
Mon Jan 14 2019, 12:37pm
Member No: #3774
Hi From Andover UK

Much to my chagrin. I have just purchased a Citroen C6 2.7 HDI Exclusive. I have owned several Citroens in the past, and should have known better.
Well collected the car, on driving it sounded like the exhaust was blowing, and the handbrake was not disengaged as it kept pulling back on changing gears later message stated ESR/ABS/Handbrake faulty.
Well 10 miles down the road every warning message known to man came up on the dashboard, including you have a puncture, no way of stopping where I was so carried on, eventually found a garage, and pulled in checked the tyres all were fully inflated, whilst checking the off side front all the coolant decided to leak out.
Well now I was definitely beginning to regret ever purchasing this vehicle, no choice but to ring the recovery company 5 hours later I was recovered home.
I have checked the car over, but can’t still see the source of the coolant leak, it only occurs when the engine is hot, strange thing is the radiator is stone cold, tried removing the radiator for a better view will not budge from the lower rubbers.
The engine is misfiring, and one of the errors stated that the Eloys fluid was low have not checked as I need to fix the coolant leak first.
I am seriously considering scrapping the car as I do not want to keep throwing money at it.

keithc   
Mon Jan 14 2019, 03:39pm
Member No: #2584
Welcome! Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I take it you bought the car privately if you are talking about scrapping it? You wouldn't be a million miles from BL Autos, (Who have an excellent reputation on this site in regards to C6's), so might be worth your while getting it to them to let them give you their opinion on the car?
cruiserphil   
Mon Jan 14 2019, 03:56pm

Member No: #38
Hello pgrant5,

It sounds like a car that has been allowed accrue all the faults that we normally tackle over time as they arise with age. My only concern would be the possibility of a link between the leaking coolant (which sounds like the thermostat tank) and the engine misfiring (possible overheat damage). I'd also recommend what keithc says about BL Autos after which you can decide what is practicable for you.

Best regards,

Phil C.
FraserG   
Mon Jan 14 2019, 11:34pm
Member No: #2011
What a pity. Such a handsome looking car! Good luck...
MGmike   
Tue Jan 15 2019, 08:12am
Member No: #3151
I hope for the best for you but fear the worst.

If the water leak is on the off side, not from the expansion tank on the offside inner wing and you need to get the radiator out to find it, it's most likely to be from the water inlet manifold or the water pump. My guess is the inlet manifold which has then sprayed the alternator in to submission, which in turn would run the battery down and result in the BSI throwing a fritz and reporting all the random errors.
I further theorise the rad is cold because there's no water left in it! That plus there insufficient water in the engine to cover the thermostat to open it at the top of the engine.

Refill with coolant and if it takes more than a couple of litres be very afraid...

but all the same

ul9601   
Tue Jan 15 2019, 09:57am
Member No: #1975
Talk about baptism by fire!
Faulty handbrake can drain battery, as I found out last year. The cause was ABS sensor, which gives you ASR/ESP errors as well as handbrake error.
My ABS sensor (or wheel speed sensor) had gone completely cuckoo and thought the car was travelling at 11kph when it was stationary.
And as typical, low battery voltage threw thousands of unrelated error messages just for the hell of it.
Also I thought you can manually disengage the handbrake in case of emergency?
Anyway, if you haven't cooked the engine (and if it's not your daily driver), I think it's worth persevering with the car.
This guy had a similar experience - Click Here -
FraserG   
Thu Jan 17 2019, 12:45am
Member No: #2011
Hi Sam, is this the C6 you subsequently purchased, maintained and dispensed with? Cheers Fraser
ul9601   
Thu Jan 17 2019, 09:03am
Member No: #1975
FraserG wrote ...

Hi Sam, is this the C6 you subsequently purchased, maintained and dispensed with? Cheers Fraser

Yes that's the one.
pgrant5   
Sat Jan 26 2019, 02:10pm
Member No: #3774
Hi everyone thanks for all your help and advice, as the car is outside, and it has been too cold to look at it.
Today was a reasonably warm day so I had a quick look, symptoms have now changed no leak, but getting very hot, which leads me to suspect the water pump, there is no water circulating through the radiator.
I took the air box of to get a better look, and disconnected the MAF sensors, and no misfire.
Engine still sounds rough though, could be because there is no water circulating.
Next step try to get it fixed!!!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club