Howdy from a n00b

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ul9601   
Thu Aug 25 2016, 10:42pm
Member No: #1975
Hi all,
I'm back - I bought Jasper (NZC6)'s old car here a few months ago. I haven't been able to drive much as I was playing musical chair with my other cars and bikes, but now it's my daily car. Quite a departure from a slightly modified Nissan Skyline NVH-wise.
The cruise control seemed to have got on its bad habit again and not working, so that's one of many I'll have to check out. I'm only a few pages into the owners' manual - quite a lot to get through being a technologically complex car.
Cheers,
Sam
FraserG   
Sun Aug 28 2016, 11:43pm
Member No: #2011
Hi Sam

My cruise control comes and goes. Usually perfect the first time it's activated on a journey and if interrupted then it packs a sad!

Cheers Fraser
ul9601   
Mon Aug 29 2016, 07:05am
Apparent CC was working so it may not be something fundamental - no one could work out CC on my C5, a lot of money wasted on diagnosis...
I'll hook up Lexia and take it from there.
cruiserphil   
Wed Aug 31 2016, 07:38pm

Member No: #38
Sam,
Search up on the posts on cruise control. All the gen is in the forum!
Best regards,
Phil C.
ul9601   
Thu Sep 01 2016, 04:16am
cruiserphil wrote ...

Sam,
Search up on the posts on cruise control. All the gen is in the forum!
Best regards,
Phil C.

Thanks Phil - I've been meaning to do the search but haven't got around to it.
Don't really need it for daily commute so keep putting it off, like many things I have on my plate!
ul9601   
Mon Sep 05 2016, 05:09am
Wow - fiddling about with the steering wheel adjustment fixed CC in no time!
now i think about it though, it is a bit silly not to have electric steering wheel adjustment if you have a memory function...
David Hallworth   
Mon Sep 05 2016, 10:47pm

Member No: #90
Electric steering column adjustment was introduced to the C6 in 2007 IIRC.

David.
ul9601   
Mon Oct 10 2016, 07:39am
Not particularly good news on the car front - a number of issues, some are minor, others are potentially quite damaging to the bank account:
minor problems:
- Cruise Control has fallen off again, not too fussed though.
- Found that LH rear boot lid and spoiler have been rubbing against the tail light and the bumper. I suspect it was as a result of poor re-assembly after a tow bar installation (judging from terrible wiring job)
- Door mirrors make a bit of a racket when folding/unfolding. Also indexing at reverse loses the plot every so often.
- Absolutely filthy driver's side interior - even a coal miner's car would be cleaner than this one. The seat belt is the worst, had a good wash past weekend but still needs a few more goes. Seatbelt upper trim is a shade of grey, as opposed to light cream. Leather is also grubby and some areas are completely worn off. Stitching is pretty black too - not sure how to clean that. Pretty disgusting really. Definitely cream leather interior was not the correct choice for the PO(s)...

Potentially Expensive:
- Looks like rear wheels have too much negative camber. Will have to take a look at the treads closer to see if it needs attention.

I know this is gonna hurt:
- LDS leakage from front right side, apparently from a skinny pipe between LDS tank/coolant tank and the engine. I thought I had enough trouble with LDS leak on my old C5 but obviously not...
- Garage was saying front left strut is broken (whatever that means) and needs replacing. I'll have to do some more research on this.

What's already cost me:
- Diesel return pipe was leaking all over at every injector well. The pipe replaced and all seems well (after moderate hit on the wallet)

Mystery noises from front, rear and all over the places:
- Ok, just some creaky noise from front under gentle braking just before stopping (only some times) and a bit of a dull thud from the back under moderate braking, again just before stopping. Got me puzzled.
- Also, for some reason, A/C fan goes on for quite a while (by that I mean more than a minute) after turned off.
- It goes clonk when given a bit of throttle after coasting, say approaching a roundabout then going for it once the coast is clear. Not sure it's gearbox or mounts...

Anyway, so far I'm still under budget but not sure how long that'll last...
I've been going through the garage section of the forum, only up to page 6, so a lot of reading to do...
Trainman   
Mon Oct 10 2016, 12:00pm

Member No: #86
ul9601 wrote ...

I know this is gonna hurt:
- LDS leakage from front right side, apparently from a skinny pipe between LDS tank/coolant tank and the engine. I thought I had enough trouble with LDS leak on my old C5 but obviously not...

Mystery noises from front, rear and all over the places:
- Ok, just some creaky noise from front under gentle braking just before stopping (only some times) and a bit of a dull thud from the back under moderate braking, again just before stopping. Got me puzzled.
- Also, for some reason, A/C fan goes on for quite a while (by that I mean more than a minute) after turned off.
- It goes clonk when given a bit of throttle after coasting, say approaching a roundabout then going for it once the coast is clear. Not sure it's gearbox or mounts...

LDS Leak, there is a return pipe behind the wheelarch liner, that has one of those stupid push togther jubilee clips on it, have a look at that first.

Mystery noises, I had this and discovered it was the brake pads, the pad and backing had split apart.

Aircon fan, are you talking about inside or outside the car?

Clonking, Had that too, not had it since I did the remap.
ul9601   
Mon Oct 10 2016, 05:58pm
Trainman wrote ...

LDS Leak, there is a return pipe behind the wheelarch liner, that has one of those stupid push togther jubilee clips on it, have a look at that first.

I'll try to take a pic and also look at the parts figure. So maybe it's the pipe/hose clip undone?

Trainman wrote ...

Mystery noises, I had this and discovered it was the brake pads, the pad and backing had split apart.

Is this the creaky noise or thuddy noise you are referring to? So pad change fixed them?

Trainman wrote ...

Aircon fan, are you talking about inside or outside the car?

Inside - it feels like passenger side fan keeps going. You know how it is with these cars, that it takes ages to turn off all the a/c fans - I have rear ones vents shut and redirected to the centre console compartment and front on auto. When I turn it off, it takes good thirty seconds before centre console fan shuts off. Sometimes some fan noise keeps going (albeit quite weakly) from what I can hear, LH side...

Trainman wrote ...

Clonking, Had that too, not had it since I did the remap.

Is this the infamous pitching remap?

Thanks a lot - I should really start threads in the garage section...
ul9601   
Mon Oct 17 2016, 06:42am
Here is the seat belt in question - it makes a nice contrasting photo, not intentional as I couldn't get the dirty part out for good clean and rinse yet. I'll have to figure that out as it took good scrubbing and hosing.

Here is where the leak is supposed to be:

Close up:

Not sure exactly where it's leaking but it's a bit damp there.

My centre console - I think there is something amiss or missing?

cruiserphil   
Mon Oct 17 2016, 07:21pm

Member No: #38
Hello,
The dampness may be from a high pressure pipe from the hydraulic pump unit. I have changed this on a car already and need to do it on our 07 car. I have the pipe and will check the part number for you.
Your centre console is missing the adjustable vent from the air con system. The broken plastic pin on centre console lid seems to break on the cars. Nothing to worry about,
Best regards,
Phil C.
321dave   
Mon Oct 17 2016, 11:39pm
Member No: #614
cruiserphil wrote ...

Hello,
The dampness may be from a high pressure pipe from the hydraulic pump unit. I have changed this on a car already and need to do it on our 07 car. I have the pipe and will check the part number for you.
Your centre console is missing the adjustable vent from the air con system. The broken plastic pin on centre console lid seems to break on the cars. Nothing to worry about,
Best regards,
Phil C.

Hi Phil, I'm afraid I have this problem as well on my C6. I was thinking of replacing the pipe eventually, but it's not really leaking as such, but it is losing a small amount over time. Do you know if it can deteriorate over time and potentially fail?
gmerry   
Tue Oct 18 2016, 08:00am
Member No: #21
Dave, the same pipe on my car was replaced under warranty because it was leaking (not seeping).

regards
G
321dave   
Tue Oct 18 2016, 08:24am
Member No: #614
gmerry wrote ...

Dave, the same pipe on my car was replaced under warranty because it was leaking (not seeping).

regards
G

Thanks G, i suppose best keep an eye on it, better start to plan replacing it soon. Its been that way since i purchased the car.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club