C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 ENGINE SUMP PAN & VACUUM OIL DRAIN

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
mercuryrv   
Sat Dec 13 2014, 04:45pm
Member No: #1848
Having decided I can no longer suffer the indignation of the corrosion on the sump pan (presumably exacerbated by the removal at some point of the undertray and then not replacing it) I have removed it to replace it with a new unit which I have had powder coated.

Much has been said over the last few days about this being done by vacuum as it removes more oil, but after removing the sump pan, you will see in the pictures the dipstick tube is NOT open at the end, as such a small slot allows the oil to enter the tube only.

The other point is that after removing the sump and having removed the sump plug and allowing it to drain overnight, I was surprised how much oil remains in the sump, I suggest nearly a litre.

Thinking about this aspect I then thought that when I use a engine flush, a quantity will always remain in the bottom after draining along with any debris. I am minded now that I am aware of this, to fit a further drain point with a magnetic plug at the lowest point, has anyone else ever done this modification?

gmerry   
Sun Dec 14 2014, 01:08pm
Member No: #21
Hi Mercuryrv, on the old C4, I modified the sump plug to get rid of the residual 500ml, similar to your proposal. I just brazed on a suitable steel threaded boss.

For the C6 sump (2.7HDi ???), is it single steel skin or double skin with sound deadening in between the steel layers?

Also, is the insert in the end of the dipstick guide tube just a bit of plastic that could be knocked out?

thanks
G
mercuryrv   
Sun Dec 14 2014, 04:19pm
Yes mine is the 2.7, it appears to be single skin. The end in the tube appears to be pressed and plastic welded into the end, if you have the sump off of course it makes little difference, it could simply be cut off if you wish to use a vacuum tube type of pump to change the oil. I have to say the base of the sump pan is very dirty, obviously due to the constant amount of dirty oil that remains after normal draining, at least this is my chance to start again with CLEAN oil and sump pan. The modification for another drain plug seems too good to miss really.
speedfix   
Mon Dec 15 2014, 05:17pm
Member No: #1043
"it could simply be cut off if you wish to use a vacuum tube type of pump to change the oil."

Cut it of at the engines peril IMO.
mercuryrv   
Mon Dec 15 2014, 06:05pm
Good evening, the end 'I presume' is fashioned like that in order to restrict any excessive flow up the tube, as such it will only register the level on the outside of the tube by virtue of it finding its own level. I have not cut mine off, but see no reason why it could not be in order to use a vacuum pump unrestricted, the choice is down to the owner. The further drain is my preferred method of draining it, each to their own though.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club