C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

EGR Delete

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Mon Dec 01 2014, 12:48pm
Member No: #21
Has anyone looked into this for the 2.7HDi?

Primary reason would be ensure longevity of engine.

Favoured method (looking at LR and Jaguar websites) would seem to be modified ECU code.

Discuss!

G

It appears Siemens SID 201 is common fitment across LR, Jaguar, PSA fitment so those companies that offer same for LR & Jaguar would probably be OK to do same for C6.

gmerry   
Mon Dec 01 2014, 07:23pm
Prior to clearing fault (MIL illuminated and Anti-Depollution Faulty on Screen)

Permanent Error Front EGR valve blocked

Temporary Fault Rear Airflow too low

Permanent Fault Front/ Rear imbalance

After Clearing Faults (MIL not illuminated, anti-depollution faulty warning gone ....... expect these will return)
P0404 fault code
Permanent Error Front EGR valve blocked
Reading Live Parameters (on the road, 1700rpm LIGHT THROTTLE IE egr SHOULD BE ACTIVE
Hot Coolant at 85 degrees C
EGR valves driven to zero by ECU
EGR valve position feedback front and rear 5% (= closed?)
Very Good balance airflow front and rear

This means ECU knows there is an issue with the Front EGR is blocked and so is telling both valves to stay closed??????

Power on/off very smooth no stumbles

Regards
G

JimC   
Mon Dec 01 2014, 08:41pm
Member No: #229
Please don't tell me I just spent around £300 getting a new valve fitted when I could have just pressed delete!
speedfix   
Mon Dec 01 2014, 10:04pm
Member No: #1043
"Please don't tell me I just spent around £300 getting a new valve fitted when I could have just pressed delete!"

Have not read your previous prob but the first thing to do when the mil light is showing is to read the codes and make a note of them.
Once cancelled use the car till operating temp is met and use on short runs.
99% of the time the code or codes will show them selves again, recheck original ones and carry out the nessasary repair.
If a garage has carried out the work they would have done checks with the related code with scanner etc.
If not the Mil light would soon light up.

With this code P0404 worth a checking other possible faults before replacing the EGR valve if other checks have not been carried first.
gmerry   
Wed Dec 03 2014, 10:09am
Hi JimC, "delete" consists of removing the Siemens SID201 ECU from the vehicle, sending it away and getting lines of code altered in the program. Whether it will work or not depends on exactly how the EGR valve/system has failed.

£300 to replace an EGR valve sound extremely good value as the Valeo OEM valve is about £180 retail on its own and there is a LOT of dismantling to gain access and coolant has to be drained down and replaced.

Could you advise via PM as to who carried out the work and if you are happy with their workmanship.
gmerry   
Wed Dec 03 2014, 11:56pm
Here's how it was done on a Peugeot 407 2.7HDi

- Click Here -
gbl   
Thu Dec 04 2014, 08:43pm
Member No: #936
Thanks gmerry for the link to the Peugeot 407 experience. After reading many times that EGR blanking only works on Euro3 engines, it is interesting to see that it indeed also can work on a Euro4 engine.

Site member "buylove" reported on this site back in October 2013 about a successful EGR blanking on a 2.7 HDi. I have contacted "buylove" via PM, but have not heard back if the modification still works well.
Might anyone here be in touch with "buylove" and could ask for an update?
gmerry   
Fri Dec 05 2014, 08:34am
Hi all, physical blanking of the EGR pipes will stop the flow of exhaust gas from taking place. Howevere, there are also butterfly valves in the mixing body to consider, anyone had this apart? Looking at photos, I'm sure this is the same plastic molded item as fitted to Jaguars and Landrovers so no need to reinvent the wheel.

I had some concerns that disabling EGR would lead to longer warm up times from cold: but EGR is inhibited until coolant is up to temperature so not sure this is actually the case (and on the run to work with EGR inhibited by the ECU, warmup behaviour was no different).

There is also some talk the EGR is involved in Particle Filter regeneration but reading up on how that works (see Technical Documents) that does not seem to be the case at all.

Major problem will be the MIL lamp and screen warnings unless these are addressed via software.

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Fri Dec 05 2014, 08:52am

Member No: #1
G. have a read of - Click Here - which covers in principle, most of your questions.
Website
Tjensen   
Fri Dec 05 2014, 10:12am
Member No: #954
Is it legal ??
speedfix   
Fri Dec 05 2014, 11:24am
Member No: #1043
"Is it legal"

No, not in the UK and some other EU countrys.

Also look at what effect the unburnt particulants will do to the DPF if it is carried out.
C6Dave   
Fri Dec 05 2014, 11:58am

Member No: #1
Tjensen wrote ...

Is it legal ??

As speedfix says, not in the UK as it's an 'offence' punishable with a fine of up to £1,000 if caught.

Companies still advertise the service though and people keep getting it done hoping that they will not get caught...........

Personally, I no longer own a Diesel car and if I ever get another C6 it would be a 3.0 Petrol, though they are hard to find in RHD form.........
Website
gmerry   
Fri Dec 05 2014, 01:54pm
EGR increases the particulate loading into the DPF.

Euro 6 is mostly doing away with EGR on diesels, and going down the SCR / Urea route as per heavy diesels

Cooled Massive EGR has mostly been found to be a pretty negative way of controlling Nox (that is downsides outweigh the benefits).

Completely different story for SI engines.

rwb   
Mon Dec 22 2014, 10:31pm
Member No: #1988
EGR blanking works fine on the 2.2HDi, and I'd be surprised if it didn't' work on the 2.7.

The system can tell that something is wrong because when it thinks it's recycling exhaust gas but the EGR is blocked the MAF reads higher than expected.

The system will partially close the air doser, throttling fresh air, trying to encourage exhaust gas recycling but: it logs only an intermittent fault and the EML does not come on, and there is no noticeable effect. A good remap will remove this behaviour.

Whether it is illegal comes down to your interpretation of The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) (No. 3) Regulations 2000
(http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2000/3197/regulation/5/made). Specifically Regulation 61A(3)
Website
gmerry   
Mon Dec 22 2014, 10:52pm
Hi RWB, on the 2.7, there are two EGR valves going back to a common inlet manifold arrangement. There are butterfly valves to control swirl into the two inlet valves per cylinder (4 valve head) but I can't see any air doseur valve anywhere at all!

Note, the 1.6 HDi (DV6 engine) originally had no air doseur either.

Stand by to be corrected if anyone knows better!

regards
G
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club