C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Super Sticky

Electric Parking Brake

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
MikeH   
Sun Mar 18 2018, 08:53pm
Member No: #1555
Hi. I had an offside cable snap a few weeks ago and for some reason, the parking brake assembly decided to go into lock-on mode with the remaining cable. I tried unsuccessfully to put it into 'cable replacement mode' with my Lexia but the unit just whirred and after many attempts, I resorted to cutting the remaining good cable to remove the unit.

I have the unit on the bench, split apart and have acquired new cables for a company in Poland. I had to dismantle the electronic unit to get the threaded-end cable out but all seems well inside and it looks to be a case of simply reinstalling once I can get the system to go into cable replacement mode.

Unfortunately, I went to do this today and there was no dialogue with the following ECU's: Telematic, Injection, Anti-lock Brake System, Suspension, Boot Relay Unit, Power Steering, Directional Headlamps, Deflation Detection, Electric Secondary Brake, Battery Charge Status Unit and the car won't start.

I have the brake unit off the car but didn't think that the simple fact of it being disconnected would cause all these issues with general communication. I will plug the unit back in tomorrow and try again but has anyone ever seen the three signs in the centre of the dash warning lights panel attached (or have any advice on why all these problems have suddenly appeared)? On a final note, I have a 2.2 manual.

Does anyone know if the 2.7 brake unit is interchangeable in case I need to go this route? I've attached a photo of the assembly's ID plate and it looks to be different to the 2.7's assembly ID plate from pictures I can find on the internet.

Eric   
Sun Mar 18 2018, 09:29pm
Member No: #425
Hello Mike, The three dashes you have on the display seem to be linked to the speedo section of the screen. It could be you may have to attach the repaired assembly to the car before it thinks it can go anywhere - just a thought. Good luck, Eric.
C6Dave   
Mon Mar 19 2018, 09:03am

Member No: #1
The handbrake unit has the same part numbers on the 2.2 and 2.7HDi - part: 470204

Searching both CIT and Peugeot spare parts on 9662015480 doesn't bring anything up though..... which is very strange as it does on eBay - Click Here -
Website
jamescarruthers   
Mon Mar 19 2018, 09:34am
Member No: #1548
I was told at B&L that the handbrake actuator is coded to the vehicle and can only be coded once (shame on Citroen!). Therefore, your plan to use from a (presumably used 2.7) might not go so well.
Jas16   
Mon Mar 19 2018, 07:27pm
Member No: #2994
My 2.2 manual had the same problem. If you can get hold of the cables on their own then keep the same unit and have the cable changed. I had mine done by a local garage.

When enquired via local Citroen, they wanted close to £1000 for parts alone. I did open a similar thread somewhere.

There is a C6 being broken on ebay that have a cable set.
MikeH   
Sun Mar 25 2018, 07:30pm
Member No: #1555
All back together and everything works fine. IN case anyone has a similar problem, I'll post a couple of pictures and also the name of the cable manufacturer in Poland who did the cables for me. He did an excellent job and with postage, the set came to less than £100.

Mariusz Mucha
e:mail - e mail icon
website .... - Click Here -

As a tip, you don't need to remove the central console to re-attach the emergency release. With a little dexterity and a pair of long-nose pliers, it's relatively simple to do it without removing any of the interior.

cruiserphil   
Mon Mar 26 2018, 01:59pm

Member No: #38
Thanks for posting MikeH,

Best regards,

Phil C.
Dan595   
Mon Nov 26 2018, 09:58am
Member No: #299
MikeH, can I ask if you needed to calibrate the unit and the level sensor after fitting the new cables?

When you are using the long nose pliers with dexterity, are you under the car or inside it?

Thanks for your help.
Dan595   
Mon Nov 26 2018, 11:24am
Member No: #299
MikeH, can I ask if you needed to calibrate the unit and the level sensor after fitting the new cables?

When you are using the long nose pliers with dexterity, are you under the car or inside it?

Thanks for your help.
Krtcho   
Thu Jan 10 2019, 12:45pm
Member No: #2620
Hi, I had same problem with right wheel cable when it snaped and broke due to corrosion. I have removed the break ECU and tried to drive the car without it, but it was not possible. So I have mounted back the ECU and drove the car without cables. Only thing is that you shouldn't unintentionally activate hand brake because the ECU will lit alarm on display. I have found in Zagreb (Croatia) a small company that makes cables based on the given sample. So my cable costed me less than £20.

There was no need to do any ECU programming, nor calibration. The system calibrates it selves as long as cables lengths are within specifications. If cables are too long, when they are fitted, brakes do not hold (which sensors read) and spare brake alarm is activated, or cables cannot be mounted at all if they are too short.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club