C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Front door stay

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gbl   
Fri Nov 21 2014, 01:55pm
Member No: #936
One of my front door stops has stopped working (the door is not supported in open position).

Can anyone tell me if this part can be replaced without taking the door apart? When looking at the door stop fasteners, it's not obvious to me if this is going to be "inside" or an "outside" job....

Thanks!
C6Dave   
Fri Nov 21 2014, 07:05pm

Member No: #1
If I remember correctly, the bolts go from the outside inward?
Website
eduardomaio   
Tue Dec 02 2014, 12:40am
Member No: #869
No, you have to take the door card out to change it.
Website
Dan595   
Mon Jul 24 2017, 11:16am
Member No: #299
Door check straps - I'm surprised that this doesn't come up that often.
All four of mine have failed, and all in the same way.
After investigating the price of replacements from Citroen, I baulked a little at the price. Having seen the failure mode - the top spring cup fills with water, the spring rusts and breaks, and the top 'plate' vanishes somewhere (either rusts away, or falls off as there is no spring pressure) I thought about buying springs and making up plates.

What I ended up doing was buying two Peugeot 407 door check straps on ebay - item number 142049062044 - and stripping them for the springs and plates. £9.95 including postage per strap. Only two are needed, as the lower spring and plate on each door will be fine, you only need the replace the top spring and plate.

Fitting is easy once the door cards are off (not too tricky). One tip is that the big rubber boot on the end of the check strap where it bolts to the body is removeable. It looks like it is moulded on, but it does clip off - you need to do this to remove the check strap from the door (whilst the bolts are acessible from outside the door, the strap is removed from inside the door).
jamescarruthers   
Mon Jul 24 2017, 12:09pm
Member No: #1548
This is useful, mine are all a bit dodgy. What is the Citroen price by the way?
Dan595   
Mon Jul 24 2017, 12:14pm
I forget exactly but I think it worked out at around £180 for all four. More than double that if I wanted them fitted.
Cisco   
Mon Jul 24 2017, 09:31pm
Member No: #1429
C4 ones work as donor springs too. I have changed all 4 doors (top spring only) on mine.

Only thing I would add to Dans' accurate description is that it's easier to replace the plastic door card locator pins rather than try to reinstate the old ones. There are 7 per door card.
e3steve   
Tue Jul 25 2017, 07:18am
Member No: #1163
Cisco wrote ...

C4 ones work as donor springs too. I have changed all 4 doors (top spring only) on mine.
I did the same, obtaining 2 x good, used C4 check arms on The Bay.

I stripped and thoroughly cleaned the original items, removing all old grease and rust stains. Some of the hollow yellow plastic plungers were in a sorry state, being worn flat at the tips, so having four good ones, from the donors, was a bonus. Once re-assembled these do need a bit of lubrication to stop them from a) creaking, and b) wearing flat again; I'm never sure about lubing plastic components, so I used WD40's Dry PTFE spray, after re-fitting, so I'll see how that goes...

I soaked all eight good springs and retaining plates in Ferrosol before re-assembly.

Once re-assembled, dry off the upper plate and the top part of the body, then fill the recess with hot glue to slow down/prevent the plunger cups filling with water again. I suppose you could also drill a small hole in the centre of the upper plunger to let out any water...

Cisco wrote ...

Only thing I would add to Dans' accurate description is that it's easier to replace the plastic door card locator pins rather than try to reinstate the old ones. There are 7 per door card.
And they're over a quid each!

You can remove them from the door by using a slender trim-removal forked tool; you just need to slide the tool under each one in the correct orientation in order to depress the two 'wings', then pop them from the door. It's a bit of a faff, but once you've managed a couple you'll become proficient!

Insert each one into an 8mm socket, then use the socket in your palm to press them back into the receivers in the door cards.

Dan595   
Tue Jul 25 2017, 09:29am
Yes, I should have remembered about the plastic door pins/clips. I got them out with a screwdriver, reasonably simple job although you may break a couple. I found it easier to re-assemble the two parts of the clip off the door completely (the purple bits in the door card just slide out) and then re-fit them to the door card. Remember to poke the electric cables through the door card when re-assembling.

Maybe should have mentioned that the 407 check straps I bought were new. For those looking to buy springs, the 407 size is approx 28mm long, 12mm diameter, 2.3mm wire diameter, 7 turns. The OE part on the C6 appears to be slightly shorter and a fatter wire diameter - but the 407 ones work very well. It's not an exact science for these parts. Also note that the C6 has yellow spring cups, the 407 ones are black... No idea why. Both work.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club