C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Next Time Your C6 is Serviced Check the Coolant Pipe

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Fri Jan 18 2013, 08:11am
Member No: #21
Hi all, it is probably very poor automotive practise to reply on a clamp, even a high quality clamp, to hold a rubber hose on to a plain ended pipe, in pressure service (like charge air or coolant).

Citroen have followed good practice and all the hoses connect on to fittings or pipes which have a retention hump of some sort.

IMHO, its a kind of bodge to modify the piping and omit the same.

Cheers
G
smihaialex   
Fri Jan 18 2013, 08:32am
Member No: #1031
@michaelb: Correction! I alone have had 2 Hydractive Suspension pipes, one high pressure hydraulic steering pipe and 2 coolant pipes (including the rusty one this thread is about - when I first saw it, it looked like it had come off a pre-war car, not a modern day limousine), plus the thermostat plastic casing replaced

Thus, I can confirm - I don't know if other models have the same problem, but owners of 2.7 HDi V6s should check the condish of this pipe at least once every year as it is prone to severe corrosion to the point where it might even rupture - that's what happened to mine.

I replaced mine with a Citroën original part, but what would one have to do in order not to be forced to undergo this costly service repair every couple of years or so?!? I doubt a thick coat of Total LiCa grease would be of much use, especially since the coolant gets warm and the grease would melt away on the first longer trip - unless perhaps you add the grease, then wrap the whole thing with something... Any thoughts?!?

Cheerios,
Sam
gmerry   
Fri Jan 18 2013, 12:19pm
Hi Sam, I "repaired" mine by removing all the rust (mechanical and chemical removal), followed by a good paint job and then several wraps of Denos tape. I check it each year, the Denso is still intact.

Regards
G
Tjensen   
Fri Jan 18 2013, 01:25pm
Member No: #954
Is the same part and same problem with the 3.0 Hdi ?
321dave   
Sun Sep 28 2014, 12:03pm
Member No: #614
This leaking coolant pipe was discovered by myself yesterday! It's possibly in the worst condition yet seen on a 2.7hdi! And my main dealer missed this leaking pipe after going through the annual service!!!! Did they check the car at all?

gmerry   
Sun Sep 28 2014, 12:28pm
Hi Dave321, I reported this back in July 2010, so problem has been known about for a long time.

The dealers will only check what is on their standard sheets, unless a knowledgeable owner requests differently.

Its good that you found the problem at this stage, consequences of coolant loss are severe as you will know from reading the various posts on this forum.

Regards
G
321dave   
Sun Sep 28 2014, 01:05pm
Hi G,
as you were saying, it is a well known weakness in the C6 coolant system amongst other issues, but I should of checked it earlier on, i was to busy at the time and I knew to check but didn't. Glad i finally did check!! Any advice for the repair? Is it difficult to remove? I have the replacement part on order now. Any advice here very much appreciated.

Regards
321dave
gmerry   
Sun Sep 28 2014, 06:25pm
Hi Dave, top tip is tie a thread around the spring clips (one under the air filter box, one on the heater hose) to prevent them pinging off and getting lost.

I found it too difficult to replace in one piece: I had to chop one end off and modified the pipe by brazing on anti-blowoff bulges and joining in-situ with 19mm coolant hose.

Make sure you give the pipe a very good paint system before refitting.
321dave   
Sun Sep 28 2014, 08:30pm
Hi G,
many thanks for the tips/advice, i can see why you did that! I was thinking of purchasing a new suspension bush kit from Febi designed for the C6 amongst others. It's called a pro kit. Just wondering If the suspenion is mostly removed would that help with access to the pipe area I wonder?

Regards
Dave
gmerry   
Mon Sep 29 2014, 07:50am
Hi Dave, from memory the suspension doesn't hinder access for pipe replacement (but that was 4 years ago). It's just very tight at the end of the gearbox and also there are other pipes and a lot of cable bundles in this area.

Start a separate post for the Febi suspension bush...there's a lot of experience on this forum.

Regards
G
321dave   
Mon Sep 29 2014, 09:24am
Hi G,
I will do. I will try and document the work as well in a PDF for anyone interested in the Febi pro kit installation. Hopefully the kit is available before Christmas. Thank you very much for your advice regarding the coolant pipe issue. I'm already preparing for that job, and will most likely fit the pipe as you did with a flexible section on one end. It really is a very tight fitting pipe.

Regards
Dave
Escargot6010   
Mon Oct 13 2014, 10:22am
Member No: #39
Having read this thread with increasing concern I have examined my car and been unable to locate the pipe under discussion. As mine is a 3.0 petrol version do the corrosion problems apply only to diesel versions - or am I just looking in the wrong place?
Thanks for any advice.
gmerry   
Mon Oct 13 2014, 01:53pm
Hi Escargot.

I don't have a 3.0 petrol and havn't even ever seen one so my reply is pure guesswork. However, the heater and gearbox are essentially the same as per the diesels so I'm sure that they will all have the steel heater pipe.

If present, the steel pipe will corrode the same.

Are you looking from below with the car on a lift (or from a pit)? Otherwise hard to spot.

Regards
G

PS No No No. Just checked above and I am completely wrong. The Petrol engine has a completely different heater hose configuration and does NOT have the steel pipe. sorry re mixup
Tjensen   
Tue Oct 14 2014, 12:51am
Member No: #954
And the 3,0 Hdi, is the same problem there ?
speedfix   
Tue Oct 14 2014, 02:31am
Member No: #1043
Yes but only when the car gets old enough with the winter road salt being the main problem.

Clean, paint the exposed pipe and cover with a coating of grease will help long term.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club