C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Cracked hydralic reservoir tank

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
patcrean406   
Sun Nov 09 2014, 04:23pm
Member No: #1894
I've brought my car to citroen. They have discovered a cracked reservoir tank. I brought my car to a back street garage last week with a Broken ball joint. Car was not leaking fluid before I went down. I told one of them mechanics that cap had to be unscrewed before the car was lifted. He said "he didn't think so". I didnt push the matter because I trusted their expertise. However now that the tank has been broken I assume it came from the car being lifted without a cap being unscrewed. Am I within my rights to ask the garage to pay citroen for the cost of a tank change and fluid?
mercuryrv   
Sun Nov 09 2014, 05:45pm
Member No: #1848
I suggest if you advised them beforehand that the tank cap should be released before the car was lifted (presuming they lifted it on a 2 post lift) I suggest you have a valid claim. If someone was to mention a point such as this when they bring an RV into us for repair, I would be putting my hand in my pocket without being asked to do so.

It may be an unusual thing for this garage to do and perhaps if they are not experienced with C6's then you could almost forgive them for getting it wrong, but not if you had told them first, lets be honest is it that hard to do it even if you do not know why, but it is fairly obvious if you think about it, even if it does have a small vent hole in the top.

I suggest a polite word with them is the order of the day, you must give them the chance to put it right first however, don't just go off and get your local dealer to do it and then present them with the invoice to pay, that is not correct, if they subsequently refuse to do the remedial work then you have the right to have it corrected by someone else, but still tell them in a nice way that this is what you are going to do first.

Good luck. Kindest regards, Simon
C6Dave   
Sun Nov 09 2014, 07:21pm

Member No: #1
Early C6's had no vent in the LDS tank cap and you MUST remove the cap before lifting the car and letting the wheels hang otherwise your going to split the LDS tank due to the pressure.

It's well documented on site in various threads where exactly what patcrean406 describes has happened.

I'm sorry but the garage was advised to remove the cap, if they didn't because 'they knew better' then I'm afraid that it's their problem for not listening to the customer and following the instructions given.
Website
cruiserphil   
Sun Nov 09 2014, 09:25pm

Member No: #38
Pat,
Remember when you go for NCT to loosen the cap before you leave the car to go to the reception. You can tighten it up afterwards. Remember they lift wih all wheels hanging to check for wheel bearings etc.
Best regards,
Phil C.
patcrean406   
Sun Nov 09 2014, 09:56pm
Thanks for all your feedback guys. I know what you mean simon. The thing is I really am appalled at their incompetence. When I got the car back the return pipe was off the water reservoir as well and there was no coolant in the car. Thankfully I spotted it very quickly. I'll see how I get on. I've gotten citroen to do the work.

On a separate issue their was green fluid in the car rather than LDS fluid. So it's no harm flush that out too. It shows that a lot of mechanics don't have respect for the c6 and don't appreciate the steps that need to be taken when servicing.
Trainman   
Sun Nov 09 2014, 10:37pm

Member No: #86
Green fluid??? I would suspect this could have been LHM, ask Citroen to double check it's all out, or there could be.more problems around the corner.....
patcrean406   
Sun Nov 09 2014, 10:49pm
It seems to be Steve. Yes the whole
System needs to be drained out. Unfortunately the previous owner had green fluid in it. Hopefully it won't come back to haunt me. Just very disappointing that people don't treat the cars properly.
mercuryrv   
Sun Nov 09 2014, 11:50pm
Member No: #1848
I think with the water pipe off they are showing a rather poor attitude to their customer and to their standard of workmanship, not sure really what reason they would have to remove the pipe anyway. My suggestion would be to put your concerns in writing to them and ask for a response within 10 days to your points, give them a chance to show their feelings and any offer of compensation first before moving onto any Court action you feel is required. Who put LHM in it??? I DO NOT KNOW if this will cause any further issues, best ask someone who does, I am always very careful when topping up mine as I have a DS (the real one) and a C6 and obviously they take different fluids. Not a good start to your C6 ownership experience is it? Kindest regards, Simon
321dave   
Mon Nov 10 2014, 08:46am
Member No: #614
cruiserphil wrote ...

Pat,
Remember when you go for NCT to loosen the cap before you leave the car to go to the reception. You can tighten it up afterwards. Remember they lift wih all wheels hanging to check for wheel bearings etc.
Best regards,
Phil C.

Hi Phil,
just reading this with horror! I have a 2006 build C6 similiar in spec to Pats. Its most likely i have the older type of cap (not vented). I'm thinking its probably best to fit the newer vented type (is that possible) fairly fast before this type of garage mistake happens. I also have my NCT coming up just after Christmas. I'm in a hurry now to make sure the C6 passes with all the faults it currently has.

Kind regards
321Dave
gmerry   
Mon Nov 10 2014, 08:56am
Member No: #21
Hi all, I've had both cap types and there is no effective difference in the two.

The "latest" cap is just a generic Citroen Power Steering reservoir cap. Its not a special item for a C6 at all. The "vent" is a baffled microhole: it would be completely useless at venting any sudden buildup of gas (such as can happen when a sphere diaphragm ruptures).

Myself. I have a service cap with a big hole in the middle joined to some 5mm flexible tubing. This is used to pressurise the reservoir to 7 psi when degassing the hydraulics but can also be screwed in place if the car is to serviced, MOT'd, or otherwise jacked up.

Regards
G
Tjensen   
Mon Nov 10 2014, 09:58am
Member No: #954
The instructions are clear: up to full hight + loosen the cap before letting the wheels hang. This is also relevant for «new cap»models , even if they are more likely to survive an accident
321dave   
Mon Nov 10 2014, 11:09am
gmerry wrote ...

Hi all, I've had both cap types and there is no effective difference in the two.

The "latest" cap is just a generic Citroen Power Steering reservoir cap. Its not a special item for a C6 at all. The "vent" is a baffled microhole: it would be completely useless at venting any sudden buildup of gas (such as can happen when a sphere diaphragm ruptures).

Myself. I have a service cap with a big hole in the middle joined to some 5mm flexible tubing. This is used to pressurise the reservoir to 7 psi when degassing the hydraulics but can also be screwed in place if the car is to serviced, MOT'd, or otherwise jacked up.

Regards
G

Hi G
you wouldn't have any pictures/drawing of that setup you described by any chance. Would it be possible for others to do something similar? My car will be going for its NCT(MOT) very soon. The main dealer handled the car fine, but its other situations like the NCT I'd be a little nervous about.

Kind regards
321dave
gmerry   
Mon Nov 10 2014, 12:19pm
Member No: #21
Hi 321Dave, see my post 21st April 2011 and there you will find photos and descriptions.

Regards
G
321dave   
Mon Nov 10 2014, 01:52pm
gmerry wrote ...

Hi 321Dave, see my post 21st April 2011 and there you will find photos and descriptions.

Regards
G

Hi G,
many thanks, i will go study that a little later on today. Thanks again for the great advice.

kind regards
321dave
patcrean406   
Tue Nov 11 2014, 10:14pm
Hi G I can't find that article or post? Typed into the search and can't link it. Have you a link? Sorry being trying the last half an hour.

Regards
Pat
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club