C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Shock Absorber Failure

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ChrisHunter   
Sun Nov 23 2014, 02:10pm
Member No: #188
our part (left front) continues to be unavailable, so we're thinking of taking our current one apart to see if it's fixable ... anyone done this, by any chance ?
Tjensen   
Sun Nov 23 2014, 02:52pm
Member No: #954
Don't we mix two problems: 1. The likelihood that the strut loses its place and "comes up through the bonnet". This is the XM problem (McPherson), but the C6 should have few reasons to develop this ??? (even if it has happened)

2. The problem of leakage and wear that result in the need for changing the strut. (Quite common). And the hygroscopic LDS should be changed after 100 000 km/5 years ???
Tjensen   
Sun Nov 23 2014, 03:05pm
For some strange reason all my (small) problems so far has been at the right hand side (the no-driver side in Norway): Front wheel bearing, rear wheel bearing, FRIP, Suspension strut. And thanks for more detailed knowledge, Citroens are always a source for new information...
gmerry   
Sun Nov 23 2014, 04:04pm
Member No: #21
Hi Chris, re repair of front shock, Travlician posted that he tried but failed to dismantle a front shock: try asking him for details.

Regards
G
speedfix   
Sun Nov 23 2014, 05:50pm
Member No: #1043
"Could it be a gradual fail?"

321dave, IMO one hard bump and it will let go bending the pipe and bonnet.

Best not to use it till it is fixed.
gbl   
Sun Nov 23 2014, 05:57pm
Member No: #936
It has now been mentioned twice in this thread (by speedfix and by TJensen) that LDS fluid is hygroscopic.
What is the source of this information?
C6Dave   
Sun Nov 23 2014, 06:49pm

Member No: #1
Tjensen wrote ...

2. The problem of leakage and wear that result in the need for changing the strut. (Quite common). And the LDS should be changed after 100 000 km/5 years ???

If the LHM on the DS had a 5 year change recommendation then personally I would be following the same schedule with the LDS fluid on the C6 even though I have not found a Tech Doc on the subject.

The Auto gearbox is supposedly 'filled for life' and we all know it does benefit from a fluid change after 50k miles or so.
Website
speedfix   
Sun Nov 23 2014, 11:13pm
Member No: #1043
"What is the source of this information?"

Some early batches of Total LDS stated that opened containers that allowed air moisture to get in should not be used at a later date.

LHM is a mineral oil and Citroen state that LDS [non mineral] on no account must the two be mixed.

Will do moisture a test with brake fluid tester with some LDS that has been left open to see how much it is hygroscopic after say a week.
Junksleeper   
Tue Dec 09 2014, 09:26pm
Member No: #1605
I paid £255 for a rear strut and £90 to fit it and reset the suspension which I thought was reasonable. The part only took two days for the garage to locate and I was very pleased with the work and the resulting improvement to the suspension system as a whole. The guys at - Click Here - in Nuneaton, Warks. did the work and the head mechanic was really keen to work on a C6 and keen to work on others. Would recommend them.
gmerry   
Wed Dec 10 2014, 12:39pm
Member No: #21
Hi Speedfix, an extract from the MSDS sheet for LDS.

It states LDS is a mixture of mineral oil and PAO (it even names the homopolymer). Proportions approximately 80% PAO, some small amount of additives and the balance is mineral oil.

In general, PAO is only very slightly hygroscopic (its used a lot for air compressors and would not be suitable for that application if it absobred a lot of water).

Regards
G

321dave   
Wed Dec 10 2014, 08:10pm
Member No: #614
Junksleeper wrote ...

I paid £255 for a rear strut and £90 to fit it and reset the suspension which I thought was reasonable. The part only took two days for the garage to locate and I was very pleased with the work and the resulting improvement to the suspension system as a whole. The guys at - Click Here - in Nuneaton, Warks. did the work and the head mechanic was really keen to work on a C6 and keen to work on others. Would recommend them.

Hi all,

I received my new front drivers side C6 strut from France this afternoon when I got home,
€277 with free delivery. Let's hope after the good news it's the right part when I open it up!!
It arrived after about 5 days in total. Bought online from Citroen Midi L'orient website. My second purchase. Seems quite fast with small or
larger items.

Kind regards
321dave
Tjensen   
Sat Dec 13 2014, 02:48pm
My new RH strut is has the new part number and is produced in fabruary 2014. Plastic support in the engine bay is white, not orange/brown.

There is NO play between metal and the white plastic support, but on the other side, there is 2-3 mm between brown plastic and metal. Should I be worried ?
Kaloteck   
Sat Dec 13 2014, 03:43pm
Member No: #1271
Probably not, unless it's some kind of "Made in China" thingy...
patcrean406   
Tue Dec 16 2014, 10:39pm
Member No: #1894
Are those shocks back in stock yet? It's ridiculous.
Still waiting on mine.
patcrean406   
Thu Dec 18 2014, 11:48pm
Member No: #1894
Been giving a new date now for January 15th. Really is a disgraceful service. I ordered in early November.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club