C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

C6 Tyres

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
datmbn   
Wed Nov 10 2010, 06:01am
Member No: #193
This is the whether in Sweden now so now i can tell you that this tyers has an verry good grip on snow and isepolished roads

Ringtone   
Wed Jan 05 2011, 01:01pm
Member No: #285
Hi everyone, had a puncture over the Xmas break and on checking the remaining tyres found all tyres need replacing due to wear.

Went with Kumho Ecsta KU19 as they seemed to have a reasonable write up and reviews. Cost fitted was £480 Inc vat and usual extras.

Good news is they seem quieter than the originals and the sensors all appear to work as before. I was worried about these being broken during fitting.

I have a 400 mile round trip tomorrow so I'll report back on haw they fair later.
gmerry   
Fri Feb 04 2011, 02:51pm
Member No: #21
Hi all: I'll be changing back to summer tyres late March. So looking around to order another two off Falken ZE912s to match those I fitted to the front last year. I posted then that the original Michelins were badly cracked on the sidewall.

Well, it took a little longer to track down the Falkens this time around. In the end I've purchased from Camskill. Most of the other sellers are out of stock or they have much much higher prices. Even Camskill seemed to be occasionally out of stock.

So if you intend to fit these, don't muck around.

A bit off topic perhaps, but whilst I'm getting the new Falkens fitted, also time for 4 off new alloy valve stems. Just precautionary (and in accordance with Citroen Mechanic's Guide)

@Ringtone.

I guess you might not want to hear this, but the alloy stemmed valve pressure transmitters are recommended to be replaced at the same time as the tyres ( see Citroen C6 mechanic's guide).

Being made of alloy, they are susceptible to fatigue failure and corrosion failure (unlike good old rubber ones). I guess it depends on how you value peace of mind etc.

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Fri Feb 04 2011, 04:13pm

Member No: #1
The main causes of failure of the valves are over tightening of the retaining nut, valve cores being overtightened cracking the stem during initial installation, however the usual suspects are:

Twisting the stem when inflating or removing the inflation tool and lack of routine maintenance ensuring that the dust caps don't seize on

The is no real reason why, with care and maintenance, that the valves shouldn't last several tyre changes

You can also buy repair kits these days so you don't need to change the whole module including the transmitter, just replace the stem and valve
Website
gmerry   
Sat Feb 05 2011, 02:03pm
Member No: #21
Hi, here's a picture of the wheel mounted components of the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System.

As Dave says, the valve stem part can be obtained separately.

Regards
G
Extant   
Wed Jul 13 2011, 02:46pm
Member No: #317
Has anyone fitted Dunlops?
travlician   
Fri Jul 15 2011, 11:50am
Member No: #350
Hi Richard,

I've got Dunlop Signature on front wheels but not at all happy with performance and noise, the old (1.2mm thread) Michelin Primacy tires were better... But read somewhere that Sportmaxx may be better.
Extant   
Mon Jul 18 2011, 12:15pm
Member No: #317
travlician wrote ...

Hi Richard,

I've got Dunlop Signature on front wheels but not at all happy with performance and noise, the old (1.2mm thread) Michelin Primacy tires were better... But read somewhere that Sportmaxx may be better.

Thanks for the comment. I ended up with a set of Goodyears on the front. That and new pressure sensors and a hole in my bank account.
mog1842   
Mon Jul 18 2011, 01:11pm
Member No: #268
Would you know where the stems/valves are obtainable from?

As in my case there is nothing wrong with the transmitter, just a broken stem.

Tyresensors.com do stock service kits, but these do include stems.
verycleverman   
Mon Jul 18 2011, 01:45pm
Member No: #65
A search on ebay should help. You can start here: - Click Here -
There are other sensors that have identical stems but different transmitters. It might be worth a punt just to get the stem.

Pete.
Ped   
Mon Oct 10 2011, 05:12pm
Member No: #82
Ped wrote ...

I found one of my fronts had a nail in it and with a longish trip to make tomorrow I didn't fancy chancing it. As the tyres were very worn anyway I went to my local tyre place where I had a pair of Hancook V12s fitted, they were a tad more expensive than the Falkens (£150 each) but having just driven 40 miles on them they seem to be fine, no increase in noise and should last a long time.

Cheers
ped

Just found my fronts are low again. I've done less than 10,000 miles since they were last changed (see above post from Aug 2010) - that's pretty poor, isn't it?
C6Dave   
Mon Oct 10 2011, 06:23pm

Member No: #1
My Falkens at 8,000 miles still have 5-6mm left so yes that does sound poor.
Website
Ped   
Thu Oct 13 2011, 06:45am
Maybe I'll put Falkens on next. Just put new Hancooks on the back but they should last a while longer hopefully.
neal2175ds   
Fri Oct 14 2011, 05:51pm
Member No: #487
Based on the good reviews on here when i took delivery of my car a week ago i asked for all 4 of the worn tyres to be replaced with new Falkens. Overall I have been impressed especially by their low noise for such a wide tyre. Much cheaper than Michelin (usually my first choice) and a good bit cheaper than Hankooks. Hopefully I'll get good wear from them.
Ped   
Sat Dec 10 2011, 10:20am
Good to hear. I found a chuffing great nail in my nearside rear on Thursday night, so yesterday I had it repaired (mercifully it was in the centre). At the same time I had the fronts replaced with the Falken ZE type. Haven't driven it yet so will give them a whirl this eve.

I hope they last longer than the Hancooks which did about 12,000 miles :/
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club