C6 Tyres

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ped   
Wed Jun 30 2010, 05:20pm
Member No: #82
Hi guys

I'm looking now at some new fronts for my C6. I have the OEM Michelin rubber at the moment and that's probably what I'll sling back on there but wondered if anyone had tried anything cheaper with good results? My father used to have Falken tyres which he really liked on his Subaru. I notice they are far cheaper than the Michelin equivalent.

The main worry for me is road noise. I do a very low mileage and never cane the car around bends so just want something quiet and preferably cheap!

Any recommendations welcome - by the way my car is an 06 exclusive.

Cheers

EDIT - just searched the forum for advice and found that Nexen or Falken seem to be OK? Can the owners of these vehicles comment on how they are holding up, again with particular reference to road noise?

Also - bonus question - am I correct in thinking it would be best to put the new ones on the rear and move the michelins at the back to the front?
C6Dave   
Wed Jun 30 2010, 06:43pm

Member No: #1
I fitted Falkens and the road noise is fine (and £70 each cheaper than Michelins) - Nexens are even cheaper, but are classed as a 'budget' tyre

Can't speak for wear as I haven't had them on long enough, but handling is better (tyre walls on the Michelins were shot though)

Yes the advice you will be given is to put the new tyres on the rear and move the part worn to the front.

Just make sure that the fitters know about the tyre pressure sensors and warn them that if THEY damage them, you expect them to replace them at £90 each.

If there carefull and know there job, take their time, it should be fine, but.........

BTW they should balance OK as well, don't accept any tosh about them being 'centerless and difficult' to balance, there not, on either score.
Website
verycleverman   
Wed Jun 30 2010, 06:47pm
Member No: #65
If it's economy you want, you could look at these - Click Here -. It will probably be the route I'll take next time. From what I can find on the net, they seem to be OK.

Pete.
gmerry   
Wed Jun 30 2010, 07:38pm
Member No: #21
I'm more than happy with the new Falkens. So far on the front only but I'll get the same for the rears. Much quieter, less thumping.

The tread pattern is more symmetrical across the width of the tyre so I'm hoping they wear more evenly than the Michelins.

The tyre fitter confirmed that the Falkens aren't subject to the same cracking problems as the Michelins. He had no axe to grind as I had already paid for the tyres via the internet and was just fitting them.

Apparently, Bridgestones are worst for this this. Then Michelins. He said a lot of the budget Korean and Chinese tyres completely disintegrate.
michaelb   
Wed Jun 30 2010, 08:32pm
Member No: #14
Ped wrote ...
I have the OEM Michelin rubber at the moment and that's probably what I'll sling back on there but wondered if anyone had tried anything cheaper with good results?

Don't under any circumstances buy new Michelins. They are the dearest and, if you read the posts on this forum, the ones which have given the worst problems (manufacturing problems, degradation, noise etc).
capt109   
Wed Jun 30 2010, 09:11pm
Member No: #47
Hi

I have no done around 9K miles on the full set of Nexen's. The rear tyres still look good with around 6-7mm of tread. The fronts are nearer 5mm at the moment so look like they will do around 25K, before they need changing.

But I find that the asymmetrical tyres like the Goodyear or Vredestein are better in the wet due to the tread pattern rather than the directional tyres.

I find that Falken like Toyo & Pirelli wear a little too quickly for me due to the milage I do. But they are a great choice for lower milage drivers. I have issues with the 50p tyre with Dunlop's in the past so will not fit these

The only reason I fitted the Nexen as I had just put a pair of Goodyears on the car, one of these got damaged by a pothole after 2K, which I replaced with another, and then the other Goodyear got a nail in the tread after 500 miles and as I do not fix punctures and replace the tyre, they could not get Goodyear to match as they were out of stock so I tried the Nexen's with a guarantee if they need replacing they will contribute to the new tyre on a sliding scale
Ped   
Wed Jun 30 2010, 11:27pm
Thanks very much for the info guys. I may well go with the falkens then as the local tyre shop have these at a very good price. No problem with sensor valves as I had them swapped out for standard valves a few weeks ago.

Cheers, I'll let you know what I go for and how they perform. As I said I'm a low mileage driver so will also investigate the other options offered up by you guys.

Thanks
ped
gmerry   
Thu Jul 01 2010, 10:14am
Member No: #21
On the sensor front, to keep the original system working, budget on £10 per wheel for the replacement alloy valve stem part of the sensor. The Siemens system seems to be fitted to Ford group vehicles (including Jaguar and Landrover) as well as PSA vehicles so parts are widely available. Adequate grease fitted to the valves at the time of tyre replacement is key to minimising corrosion. Plus use of plastic valve caps which has been widely discussed on this and other fora. By comparison, a standard rubber valve core is not free and usually costs around £5 each.

On a separate subject, the standard A pillar tyre pressures for normal loading have the same pressures back and front. This seems to imply that the rear tyres will have a much more convex shape as the loading on the rears is so much lower than the front. For the C6, does anyone have the kerb weight distribution front to rear. Would a good assumption be 65/35 for driver and one passenger only? With the same pressures front and rear this might explain why the centre of the tryes were a lot more worn than the shoulders (even though the official pressures were followed). Would it be permissible to lower the rear pressures by say 3 psi compared to the fronts. This is pretty standard on FWD with significant front/rear weight bias.

Regards
capt109   
Fri Jul 02 2010, 08:35pm
Member No: #47
I have found that the Michelin's tend to have the issue with the wear in the middle. The other brands seem to wear more uniformly.

So a another minus point for the standard OEM tyres, but I think the issue is caused by cars standing in compounds for months / years.
nickyg   
Sun Jul 04 2010, 09:40pm
Member No: #100
Hello again everyone! Very busy with work these days but just popped in for a nosey.

Fitted my 20" Kahn RSX diamonds to my C6 a month or so ago.

After a lot of consideration, decided to pinch 8mm in the tyre diameter calculations and go for 255 35 r20 Dunlop sportmaxx, as they will perform the dual task of increasing sidewall dimension slightly, filling arches more, and be more readily available as they are Jaguar standard fit. (I buy 6-7mm used tyres from reputable centres.. 60%+ savings for a loss of 20-% usuable tread loss)

They are 9 inches wide too, so was expecting a large reduction in comfort and braced for increased noise.

Well, O happy day!, they are superb, whisper quiet compared to the Michelins on stocks and I would say only a 5% reduction in ride quality!

Couldn't be happier, as I spent a long time choosing which summer wheels to go for and settled on the Kahn RSX as, not only are they a stunning peice of design in their own right, they bear somewhat similar characteristics to the stock wheels, so are well integrated in the scheme of things.

The calculations in offset have also worked wonders for the aesthetics and, I must say, the car is now propelled into a true headturner on the road. I noticed this whilst driving immediately after they were fitted! In my opinion it knocks the Pallas C6 wheel fitment into a cocked hat!

Will attempt to get some pics up in the gallery as soon as I can, hopefully next weekend.

Cheers!

Nick
Ped   
Mon Jul 05 2010, 06:38am
Hi Nick, looking forward to pics of that!

ped
tonyrome   
Mon Jul 05 2010, 02:37pm
Member No: #15
nickyg wrote ...
Fitted my 20" Kahn RSX diamonds to my C6 a month or so ago.

In my opinion, 20s are much too big. There's a subtlety to the C6, which makes it appealing and it just doesn't suit such overt modifications. For a good example of how to destroy a C6, just take a look at the Pallas! Leave the 20" wheels to the BMW brigade
Ped   
Tue Aug 03 2010, 05:50pm
Guys,

Just been looking at Falkens from Blackcircles.com and they have two types,

Falken Ziex ZE-912

and

Falken FK-452

The latter are £126 each fitted, the former about £6 less. Which model are you using, and any tips on super cheap places?

Cheers
ped
C6Dave   
Tue Aug 03 2010, 06:39pm

Member No: #1
I have ZE-912 on the front and so far are fine apart from a bit of 'booming' noise once the spoiler lifts (it's not too bad though)

Make sure though that whichever you go for they are 100 Extra Load rated
Website
Ped   
Tue Aug 03 2010, 07:00pm
Thanks, I read that comment and it left me wondering weather the Falkens are the best option, but I don't often cruise over 80MPH (officer)

Thanks for the tip

ped
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club