Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Super Sticky

starter replacement dt17ed4

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Jodyone   
Fri Apr 24 2015, 05:35pm
Member No: #1240
Brilliant, thanks Steve. I wondered about that but didn't want to trash it. Job on tomorrow! Along with the offside front pivot bottom bush...
Jodyone   
Sat Apr 25 2015, 05:00pm
I replaced the starter today. It was somewhat unnerving dismantling what is amusingly referred to as “the fusebox” so completely- I felt like I was taking the space shuttle apart.

However, enboldened by Steve’s photos, I merrily unattached everything (taking pictures along the way) and eventually arrived at a distantly visible starter motor. Clearly my hands are the wrong side of slender, and I had to distort one into a bloodied claw to reach the furthest bolt.

Eventually I pulled the old starter out, which didn’t look to bad, without any obvious float in the visible bearings. Damn, I thought- all this and the problem’s elsewhere. Slightly disheartened, I put everything back together with only about a dozen mistakes, and emerged with an even bloodier claw for a right hand, and thankfully no spare parts. Crossed my fingers (any that were left), started the car- success! It sounds like a machine gun now, and starts immediately. I didn’t realise how bad it had got.

Thanks again Steve for the thorough guidance above. I wouldn’t have gone near the zone of electro-trickery without it.
C6Dave   
Sat Apr 25 2015, 05:28pm

Member No: #1
Are you going to share any of those pictures (once you get your hands seen to 1st of course )
Website
Jodyone   
Sat Apr 25 2015, 08:54pm
C6Dave wrote ...

Are you going to share any of those pictures (once you get your hands seen to 1st of course )

I'm not sure they'll add much for anybody, but just in case, here's a few!

Preparing for war:

The first scary plugs:

More scary plugs- "Is my car ever going to work again":

By this point, I thought I heard, for just a moment, the car singing Daisy, Daisy...

Don't forget this blighter:

After that it's fairly straightforward, just painfully inaccessible. Steve's pictures are comprehensive. I managed to fit the refurbished dash with spiffy repainted needles to the old Merc too... a bit less fiddly, not much though

e3steve   
Sun Apr 26 2015, 11:19am
Member No: #1163
Jody, I'm still chuckling over your narrative! You gotta see it as a challenge, haven't you, though; and laugh in the face of adversity...

I'm no longer daunted, having been in there twice. Patience, pictures and plenty of light on the subject makes it less scary...

C6Dave   
Sun Apr 26 2015, 02:32pm

Member No: #1
Just hope you both cleaned and protected those connectors before putting them back....
Website
Jodyone   
Sun Apr 26 2015, 04:50pm
C6Dave wrote ...

Just hope you both cleaned and protected those connectors before putting them back....

Yep, I was hoovering everything as I went along... that's partly why it took all day! They're very cleverly designed connectors, with good quality lip seals and sturdy levers, so the dust is only external.

I replaced the offside front pivot lower bush today, which was pretty straightforward. I practiced on a spare nearside front pivot that I had from when Citroen did that one (they would only replace the whole part - £££), and refined my method on the bench. Having been in there recently to do the FRIP joint, it all came apart pretty easily and the new bush went in fine. I'll upload some pictures when I've been through them. Finally, the car has NO suspension clonks at all!
e3steve   
Tue Apr 28 2015, 12:42am
Jodyone wrote ...

C6Dave wrote ...

Yep, I was hoovering everything as I went along... that's partly why it took all day! They're very cleverly designed connectors, with good quality lip seals and sturdy levers, so the dust is only external.

I replaced the offside front pivot lower bush today, which was pretty straightforward. I practiced on a spare nearside front pivot that I had from when Citroen did that one (they would only replace the whole part - £££), and refined my method on the bench. Having been in there recently to do the FRIP joint, it all came apart pretty easily and the new bush went in fine. I'll upload some pictures when I've been through them. Finally, the car has NO suspension clonks at all!
I, too, found that the seals in the connectors seem pretty fail-safe (LMAO!) at keeping the contacts clean & dry, Dave. I went the extra mile, whilst the underbonnet fusebox was out, and removed each of the earthing lugs from their grounding points on the inner wing, scraped away the paint, silicon-greased the bare metal revealed and the lugs themselves and re-attached them all.

gmerry   
Wed Apr 29 2015, 12:28pm
Member No: #21
E3steve, seeing that you have tackled starter removal and replacement by two routes (Fuel filter housing removal and fusebox dismantling) which route would you recommend taking into account time to do the job and risk of incorrect assembly.

Also for a failed starter, would you say that a new starter is generally not required and just to plan on repairing the bearing.

Regards
G
e3steve   
Wed Apr 29 2015, 01:57pm
gmerry wrote ...

E3steve, seeing that you have tackled starter removal and replacement by two routes (Fuel filter housing removal and fusebox dismantling) which route would you recommend taking into account time to do the job and risk of incorrect assembly.

Also for a failed starter, would you say that a new starter is generally not required and just to plan on repairing the bearing.

Regards
G
Gordon, disassembling the fuse / electronics box really makes access much better. I didn't find that removing the fuel filter actually made any difference apart from leaving the stink of diesel behind. The first time I went in I was replacing the filter elephant in any case. The fasteners that retain the filter housing are more trouble than any gain you get in removing the sheboodle!

If you follow my little tutorial (and if you don't have pudgy puds) it's all do-able with the tools & sockets that I used & suggested.

My advice on re-bushing the Denso? Get the new Premier Factors replacement starter complete. Rationale? If it turns out to be more than just your old bushes that are screwed, you'll be kicking yourself at having to go in again in the near future!

For the sake of £125 -- not much more than filling the tank with BP Ultimate -- for the new starter, do it right and you only have to do it once...
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club