Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Another dreaded rusty coolant pipe slowly leaking at present!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
321dave   
Sun Sep 28 2014, 11:42am
Member No: #614
Hi all,
I was saving my first post for something that might be of help to others. I really appreciate this website, as everyone else does I'm sure. I'm also another Irl registered C6 as of May this year. It's a 07 C6 in Mauritius blue with beige interior, now with 110000miles. But it's still a lovely car. It's in my hands now a few months and I've started replacing interior trim and parts that made a big difference to the car, and I knew it would need looking after mechanically. been busy doing a lot of late night reading as well and downloading technical docs in preparation for the long term care needed to keep the C6 running properly.

But, just before going on holidays with the family recently I decided to have the rear pads and disks replaced and have its annual service completed at my main dealer, to give a little more piece of mind, I knew the various bushings were starting to go at the front as well, but I was very surprised to find the very rusty coolant pipe dripping blue coolant (slowly thankfully) onto the wishbone below. I have now started preparing for the upcoming NCT test after Christmas (especially after finding the pipe) myself. I have attached the rusty pipe picture for people to see below, I know it's a well understood problem from reading and keeping up with the postings here, but I'm still amazed at the main dealer for not noticing the dripping coolant pipe while working on the car, or telling me it had a slow leak. I'm still amazed. Especially since we all know what would eventually have happened!!!

I am thankfully a bit technical and have a good range of tools at home. I would like to replace the coolant pipe myself and was wondering if anybody had good information on how best to remove it and achieve a good repair. I'm wondering is getting it out or putting it in the bigger issue? Many thanks if anyone has some sound advice. Very much appreciated.

Sorry image loaded sideway, rusty pipe should be to the top of the image.

magicands   
Mon Sep 29 2014, 09:20am
Member No: #1021
How did you access this pipe, and I assume its in the drivers side front wheel arch cover, or am I talking rubbish as usual?
Website
321dave   
Mon Sep 29 2014, 09:37am
Member No: #614
Hi Magicands,
the pipe is located on the passenger side inside the wheel arch area, and as G wrote previously on this pipe, it is between the passenger wheel area and the end of the gearbox in the engine bay. You would need to remove the wheel in order to have a good look around and my recent discovery is in very poor condition as the picture shows. Amazingly the pipe in question is totally exposed! The paint finish ( for want of a better word) doesn't last very long I can see again from other posts on here.

Kind regards
Dave
C6Dave   
Mon Sep 29 2014, 06:52pm

Member No: #1
OK, thanks to Cruiserphil, there is now a Tutorial on how to change the pipe - Click Here -
Website
gmerry   
Mon Sep 29 2014, 07:07pm
Member No: #21
Hi Phil, nice write-up.

I see you also resorted to cutting the pipe: when the car was built this pipe would have been installed before the engine/gearbox.

I would be a little nervous of the hose blowing off the end of the pipe. Hence I added a bulge to the pipe (just brazed a copper wire ring around the pipe).

Regards
G
cruiserphil   
Mon Sep 29 2014, 07:33pm

Member No: #38
Thanks G,

When I was doing the repair I was mindful of your concerns on the pipe ends not being flared which you had posted about at the time. However, I'm pleased to report that I did this repair two years ago and have had no leaks or movement in the flexible pipe. Presumably an advantage is using the OEM spring clips rather than a "jubilee" clip. Like yourself I could not see a practical way of fitting the pipe in one piece.

Regards,

Phil C.

P.S. Apologies to the forum that it took so long to complete the "tutorial."
gmerry   
Tue Sep 30 2014, 07:08am
Hi Phil, looks like your combination of hose and spring clamps works so this would be least amount of work for anyone else repairing this particular problem. Nice write-up.

Regards
G
magicands   
Tue Sep 30 2014, 08:24am
Member No: #1021
The tutorial is excellent but the job is not for the faint hearted & I doubt I have the skill or equipment to undertake such a task.
Website
cruiserphil   
Tue Sep 30 2014, 10:06am

Magicands,

That's a fair honest comment. For those that wouldn't tackle it I at least hope that as a result of the post they won't be talked into subframe lowering and such horrors with commensurate price tag if the pipe ever needs to be replaced.
Regards,

Phil C.
gmerry   
Tue Sep 30 2014, 10:17am
Hi Phil, whilst on the subject of leaking pipes, have you had to replace any of the power steering pipes/hoses?
C6Dave   
Tue Sep 30 2014, 10:26am

Member No: #1
cruiserphil wrote ...

That's a fair honest comment. For those that wouldn't tackle it I at least hope that as a result of the post they won't be talked into subframe lowering and such horrors with commensurate price tag if the pipe ever needs to be replaced.

Yes, for those without the skills or tools, just print off the guide and take it to a competent local garage for assessment.
Website
cruiserphil   
Tue Sep 30 2014, 01:09pm

G,

No I haven't. They are damp in places but they don't seem to consume LDS. I know they have a tendency to fail suddenly but the dampness has been consistent and hasn't worsened on the cars since we got them, one of which we have 5 years now.

Incidentally, I heard suggestion that subframe lowering may be required to replace theses hoses!!!

On the subject of cooling leaks, I have a radiator to change on one of the cars which requires the front bumper assembly to be removed. There is a good Citroen document on the radiator change but I'll take photos and document the task anyway!

It won't be for a few weeks as my garage entrance is being heightened to accommodate our latest vehicle!

Regards,

Phil C.
jon_viola   
Tue Oct 07 2014, 09:33pm
Member No: #1829
This seems to be a safety issue to me. Imagine if it goes and your stranded in a dangerous place...

Surely a safety recall needs to be enacted.
dsharples   
Wed Oct 08 2014, 08:36pm
Member No: #119
I assume the coolant pipe is Part 11 in the diagram. Part no. 1351KW?

Is there any way to inspect it from the top of the car, or under the car (with the under-shield removed).

Given everyone seems to have to cut the tube, could the part be completely remade using standard tubing from someone like viperperformance (other companies are available). Probably better just to cut and patch the tube I guess...
gmerry   
Thu Oct 09 2014, 11:53am
Hi Dave, I suggest you are looking at the wrong drg. I get part number 6466PH (for a 2.7HDi).

Inspection has to be from below the car. Just look at the gap between gearbox and fender.

Regards
G
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club