Remove Speedometer

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
joaoproenca   
Tue Sep 23 2014, 01:46pm
Member No: #1510
Dear all,

I need to remove the speedometer for repair, does anybody have instructions for it in order to avoid broken any clips or screws .

Kind Regards

Joao
C6Dave   
Tue Sep 23 2014, 02:51pm

Member No: #1
There is a guide to stripping the dashboard in the 'interiors' section: - Click Here -
Website
gbl   
Tue Sep 23 2014, 04:18pm
Member No: #936
Dave,
That guide must have been written by someone who has only spent time behind a desk . You need to remove the fake wood trim prior to removing the surround. Not the other way around.

Joao,
This is copied from another thread where I explained it:

You start by unclipping the fake wood trim above the cluster. Pry it out gently with a screwdriver. The clip by the door side is hook shaped, so start the trim removal from the other end by the navigation screen.

From there it is pretty obvious with just a few small TORX screws to be removed. The matte black surround is a separate part which must be wiggled out of some hidden clips.

The electrical connection is just one multi-plug, held by a metal clamp that folds back.

The car will work fine with the cluster removed. You can read the speed in the head-up display. There will be some occasional error messages while the cluster is missing, but when the cluster is refitted, these error messages will go away after a few starts.

Best regards
joaoproenca   
Tue Sep 23 2014, 10:07pm
Member No: #1510
Thanks for the post if i ll have further doubt about it i ll post it. Meawhille the dashboard will go to repaiIr at my brother business and he ask me to post here if someone knows what are the components that normally faill ?

Kind Regards

Joao
lintpete   
Mon Oct 20 2014, 11:17am
Member No: #1349
Has your brother managed to repair the display? If he doesn't succeed, you may want to contact Johan Oldenhage in the Netherlands. Mail address: e mail icon
Johan Oldenhage owns a Citroën garage and invested in faultfinding and repair of the C6 displays. He repaired my display last month. Considerably cheaper than buying a new display!
C6Dave   
Mon Oct 20 2014, 06:00pm

Member No: #1
Sent via e mail in response to the topic subscription:

Thanks for attention and to follow up my issue.
Yes problem is solved.
-10 min to take out speedometer;
- 3 to repair althought we wait 4 days for the transistors;
- 5 to get everything in placa again.

Again Kind Regards !!

João Proença

Website
robingc33   
Mon Dec 21 2015, 04:52pm
Member No: #2303
Just a quick note to echo lintpete's note about speedo repair...

I've just had mine (2006 model) repaired very efficiently by Johan Oldenhage in the Netherlands; it took about three weeks in total including shipping time.
It's not a cheap exercise at around 240 Euros for the repair plus return postage to the UK and £18 for my tracked postage sending it out, but good to have it back and sorted properly.

Mine had an overall flickering/fading display; some sort of illumination supply issue probably due to a dodgy joint or regulator cicuit that seems to be a common problem.

As has been stated previously/elsewhere you get a variety of exciting error messages when the display is removed which thankfully disappear once it's replaced and, according to my subsequent Lexia scan, having it repaired seems to have improved my error status generally!

Junksleeper   
Mon Oct 24 2016, 04:15pm
Member No: #1605
Hi folks, my speedo display has been working intermittently for the last few months. It's either totally blank or it works perfectly. Temperature seems to be a factor, tends to work when temp outside drops. The connection is fine apparently ( garage checked) so I had it removed so I could send it for repair. Cluster repair UK have had it for ten days and called to say that after testing it they conclude that it is external voltage surges that is the cause of the problem. They have " stabilised it" whatever that means but can't fully repair it or guarantee it will continue to work. To be fair they have only charged for the test(£20) and I await it's return. Any auto electric wizards out there with any ideas? It's driving me nuts!
robingc33   
Mon Oct 24 2016, 04:59pm
Member No: #2303
Hi Junksleeper; you have my sympathy!
A twice unsuccesful repairer told me it was likely to be voltage spikes, so I got a professional electronics test engineer to check the 12V voltage rail on my 2.7 Hdi with a high speed storage scope after my display failed several times.
We checked it under most permutations of normal car electrical load and there wasn't the slightest sign of a spike in sight - so I'm not convinced by this story.
However - if your alternator loses it's negative connection whilst on full load, this can introduce a spike heading towards 100V! But I think you'd know there was a problem anyway if this happened!
Having had to buy a new display I've added a Littelfuse protection diode across 12V rail - which will clamp unusual voltage spikes in the unlikely event one occurs (see my posts eleswhere on this topic).
My (expensive) conclusion is that this speedo module design isn't fit for purpose and contains components that are under-rated in normal operation.
Junksleeper   
Mon Oct 24 2016, 10:20pm
Member No: #1605
Thanks for the reply Robin, sounds like your expensive conclusion could be closer to the truth i.e part not fit for purpose. Your fuse protection diode idea sounds interesting as an insurance policy so to speak. Will check out your previous posts on the subject and consider doing likewise. Will keep you posted regarding progress.

Mike

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club