wont start

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
speedfix   
Fri Sep 12 2014, 07:18pm
Member No: #1043
Simon is it your car?

Have you checked that the coolant system now pressurises with no leaks or may be carried out a cylinder leakage test?

Have you cleared all codes and rechecked them form a cold start up if so what are the new stored ones?

Have you checked the fuel system for possible air leaks?

Has the elyos fluid been topped up and the ecu reset?
ststech   
Sat Sep 13 2014, 08:15am
Member No: #1845
it is my car yes my first ever c6 and i love it just want it sorted and no not carried out any of the above

any advice would be great
Website
ststech   
Sat Sep 13 2014, 09:31am
cold start this morning
stored dtcs's p0204 injector 4

cleared it then cranked starter for 3 to 5 seconds car wouldnt start paused then cranked another 3 to 5 seconds nothing then cranked again engine started fine and ran fine
and now starts after a couple turns of starter each time

until tomorrow morning when i have to repeat same process again

as if you just crank until it starts it starts but misfires throws up dtc and engine management light then just need to stop and immediatley restart and it runs ok no missfiring

[%*^#@!] thing will start all day long and run ok until left over night 12 hours plus

am thinking of checking glow plug supply on cold start both pre and post heating

but why continualy throwing up injector 4 if you just keep cranking from cold
yet if i follow above starting procedure all is ok
Website
speedfix   
Sat Sep 13 2014, 08:08pm
Ok so IMO I would cancel codes then remove no 4 injector and swop it with one the easiest to get at.
Start engine, re read codes

If the dtc code has changed to the position with no 4 injector then the injector is u/s.

If the dtc is still showing on on no 4 position then it is wiring or ecm fault.

Do not turn the ignition switch on until all connections are fitted.

When was the fuel filter changed and what mileage has the car done.

Yes they are a superb car in all respects when running correctly.

e3steve   
Sat Sep 13 2014, 11:21pm
Member No: #1163
My shout, too.
ststech   
Sun Sep 14 2014, 02:55am
i will try and do that this week just something else i would mention is that at low revs driving it has a missfire and when cold you get a constant white smoke not very much but its there then after a few minutes say 10 minutes it is gone and car doesnt smoke at all not sure if its smoke or steam but its there for a few minutes car ticks over fine but this missfire is more apparent in low revs at low speads ie in traffic its like the car keeps pulling back other than that it sounds fine and idles perfectly the only time it idles rough is if you just crank it from cold several seconds longer than it should then it throws a dtc engine management light on usually followed by depolution fault but if you shut off and restart straight away the idle missfire is gone and as i said before car starts in less than 2 seconds all day long once its started
Website
ststech   
Sun Sep 14 2014, 03:01am
im hoping and praying its not a coolant gasket or head related fault even though i have not noticed any coolant loss since but i havent driven it hard which is when i lost coolant before!

sorry to be a pain but what is the position of inj no 4
Website
ststech   
Sun Sep 14 2014, 03:47am
have found injector locations in the download section
one question i do have is are the injectors coded to the bsi individualy or can they just simply be replaced and auto adaptive as i have found someone selling them on the well known auction site
Website
e3steve   
Sun Sep 14 2014, 08:34am
Member No: #1163
ststech wrote ...

have found injector locations in the download section
one question i do have is are the injectors coded to the bsi individualy or can they just simply be replaced and auto adaptive as i have found someone selling them on the well known auction site
The injectors are not BSI-coded; they can be repositioned in the engine any which way.
ststech   
Sun Sep 14 2014, 09:00am
lets just hope it comes out easy and not seized in like the damn c8s !!

any recomendations on easy removal

just to add this car driving me mad put key in this morning after cold start not started for 24 hours or more started first time
i did put a bottle of injector cleaner in at last fill up dont know if that did anything
the problem is that it has a misfire more so at low speeds
Website
speedfix   
Sun Sep 14 2014, 11:05am
"when cold you get a constant white smoke not very much but its there then after a few minutes say 10 minutes it is gone"

My previous posting on checking the coolant system to see if it pressurised when hot with no external leaks would help to eliminate head gasket.

At the moment I would trust the DTC fault with an injection malfunction through what ever reason giving out unburnt fuel when cold!
What miles has the car covered?
C6Dave   
Mon Sep 15 2014, 05:31pm

Member No: #1
but on the issue of non starting, the Tractions starter motor failed whilst in France but was fairly easily resolved in the end by swapping it out.

Many thanks go to Tim Walker (aka Drummond) and friends for all the advice and support.

No error codes or Lexia required for this non starter
Website
ststech   
Fri Sep 19 2014, 10:30am
speedfix wrote ...

"when cold you get a constant white smoke not very much but its there then after a few minutes say 10 minutes it is gone"

My previous posting on checking the coolant system to see if it pressurised when hot with no external leaks would help to eliminate head gasket.

At the moment I would trust the DTC fault with an injection malfunction through what ever reason giving out unburnt fuel when cold!
What miles has the car covered?

the car has done 105000 the car appears to start ok now without dtcs i have noticed this since adding a bottle of injector cleaner on last fll up

as for the coolant well its a bit long winded but after a say 5 mile drive using tiptronic to keep revs up on return would always see coolant coming from the expansion tank i eventualy traced this to a faulty cap the rubber seal was distorted i have replaced this now and when i do the same trip then stop and undo the cap coolant comes out under pressure unless you leave the car to sit for 30 minutes or more then when i check the level its about 5 mm below the marker in the filler neck and takes about 2 cup fulls to bring it back up

a garage friend of mine saw me filling it up to that line and told me i was putting too much coolant in is he right where should the coolant level be when cold

i do notice as engine is running occasionaly you see bubbles come through the return pipe to the expansion bottle yet coolant stays steady as a rock

is all of the above normal and what level should the coolant be when cold and is presurisation when hot normal you have to wait 30 mins or more before removing the cap after intense driving to add it doesnt misfire or smoke apart for the tiny bit of white smoke for first few minutes which clears
Website
gmerry   
Fri Sep 19 2014, 12:43pm
Member No: #21
When cold, why not just set the level (add or remove) so that it is between the max and min markings on the side of the translucent tank? Is that too hard?

Regarding pressure when hot, the coolant expands by about 4-5% by volume when hot. The expanding liquid will pressurise the gas head space which is why one should not fill above the maximum level because it is a closed/sealed system.

A small amount of gas/air will always travel back to the coolant reservoir along with liquid coolant via the bleed lines: the system is designed to work like that (there are two small diameter line leading to the top of the tank)

Regards
G
speedfix   
Fri Sep 19 2014, 06:19pm
Pleased that you now have running pressure now that the tank cap has been replaced.

With respect the the cooling system still needs a proper pressure test.

Forget the sniff test IMO it will not show a problem in this case.

No white smoke should be visible on start up if injectors, heater plugs with good combustion and cooling system having no faults.

"A small amount of gas/air will always travel back to the coolant reservoir along with liquid coolant via the bleed lines: the system is designed to work like that"

Wrong, as for the gas air travelling back to the reservoir, this is only for the self bleed and excess water flow of any left air after a bleed from a disturbed system.

Once coolant has settled no air should be visible in the water flow bleed lines.

Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club