Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: Owners Reviews and Road Tests :: C6 owners and drivers reviews

C6 and Michelin Tyres

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ped   
Wed Oct 23 2013, 11:23am
Member No: #82
Costco have a deal on Michelins at the moment, £170ish...
gmerry   
Wed Oct 23 2013, 11:28am
Member No: #21
My original Michelins were cracked on the sidewalls and sufferred from "crown" wear - all of which put me off the brand.

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Wed Oct 23 2013, 12:04pm

Member No: #1
drummond wrote ...

The above prices are fitted from Blackcircles, and my local garage ís a Blackcírcles "partner".

Kwikfit are doing 25% off ATM so basically get 4 and pay for 3 so worth a call Tim
Website
Ped   
Thu Oct 24 2013, 04:19pm
Member No: #82
drummond wrote ...

Coming to replace the Michelins on the C6. No quibble with these- the rears have lasted in excess of 35000 miles (I think that one might have been on there since the car was new 48000 miles ago)and the fronts 24000. I was going to go the Falken route but I see from the reviews that they change the compound frequently and some identical tyres last 4000 miles. They are £152.

I thought of Pirelli P zero, as only £25 more than the Falkens, or stay with the Míchelíns at £199, despite what I've heard about them. The other cars are all on Michelins, but then they would be!

The above prices are fitted from Blackcircles, and my local garage ís a Blackcírcles "partner".

Tim

Hi Tim,

Who do you use to fit your tyres? I've used Maidenhead Tyres and Exhaust in the past, who have been OK - but I want my alignment checking as it's not quite right at the back!
drummond   
Thu Oct 24 2013, 05:38pm
Member No: #238
Hi Chris

I use Barnside, who-they say-are Blackcircle's approved partner. They are more ór less opposite Fórge. They dó all my MÓT's. No discount, but they do a good job.

No current problems with alignment, front or back.....!

T
jon_viola   
Fri Sep 12 2014, 08:37am
Member No: #1829
Just reading this. Interestingly my car has 245/40/18' rather than 245/45/18.

Goodyears all round.

My fronts will need replacing soon. Do I go back to the 45's or stay with the 40's? I feel the ride is fine and I must say it does corner better than I expected....

Advice appreciated!

Thanks

Jon
eke   
Fri Sep 12 2014, 07:54pm
Member No: #624
There is no option for 245/40/18 in Lexia when adjusting ABS/ESP for C6. You have wrong size tires.
JPV   
Fri Sep 12 2014, 09:40pm
Member No: #606
With the OEM Michein tyres failing the MOT due to cracked sidewalls when not 50% worn by tread depth, I would suggest that anything would be better than Michelins!
jon_viola   
Fri Sep 12 2014, 11:05pm
Member No: #1829
Thanks for this. Presumably I could leave the rears as they are and just change the fronts as the suspension would automatically level out.
eduardomaio   
Sat Sep 13 2014, 09:34pm
Member No: #869
I never had an issue with cracked sidewalls on Michelins, and I have been running them for quite a while (even before I had the C6).

Do you guys do low mileage? Is the car standing for long periods of time with low tyre pressures?

The only issue I have is with tyre wear, seems excessive at the front. On my 406 a set of Primacy HP's would do 50k miles and I would change them when they reached 3mm thread, the Primacy 3 on the C6 at the back did 24k miles (but there was an issue with a suspension arm) and at the front the first set did 10k (also an issue with tracking), the ones I have now have done 17k miles and wont last much longer, already at 2.5mm thread.
Website
e3steve   
Sat Sep 13 2014, 11:38pm
Member No: #1163
I drove Colin's (ex-Rich) C6 from Southampton to Gloucestershire (RAF Fairford) and back in
July. His is on a good set of Primacys. Mine is on the superseded Falken Zeix 912s. They both corner well when pushed but, IMO, the Falkens have the edge for dry or wet grip; the Michelins are certainly chirpier when near the limit! There's never any noisy drama when the Falkens are under duress, for sure.

Little or no difference in road noise around town or at motorway speeds.
Tjensen   
Wed Sep 17 2014, 11:32am
Member No: #954
The original Michelin Primacy lasted around 60' km on my car, just changed to new ones (at 3mm)
Norman   
Sun Jan 31 2016, 12:17pm
Member No: #364
Just had fitted two michelin primacy 3s to the rear of my C6 for £124 each interesting when the fitter changed the tyres over i had said to him to be careful of the tpms but he said there we no transmitters fitted so it looks like the system has been deactivated at some time but it still shows as Ok on the display?
diyjoke   
Thu Apr 07 2016, 01:35am
Member No: #354
Hi - bit late but: I changed all mine before the winter set in to the new Michelin Cross Climates. As it happened we didn't have a winter at all so didn't get the chance to find out their winter capabilities. On the few cold days (sub zero) they were very good and didn't feel any different; seemed quite pliable and certainly grippy enough on a white hoarefrosted road when testing.
I've also got a 2.2 (manual) so these were cheaper and actually available in the 17" size. At £143 each, fitted I was quite pleased. They're also very quiet and seem to be wearing very well and are good enough in dry and wet so all in all, I'm very pleased and would recommend.
Barry
diyjoke   
Thu Apr 07 2016, 01:46am
Member No: #354
And, I should have mentioned about my experience with the TPMS. After reading about all the dramas with the OEM fitments and the horrendous cost of replacement (at the time about £80.00 per unit, plus tyres or just paying to have the tyres removed/refitted etc.) I went for some aftermarket units with a remote indication that I've stuck on the dash. The display unit is not too obtrusive but it's programmable for alarms for temperature and pressure and it works. I've actually had them fitted for about 5 years now and they still work fine. I've changed the valve each time I've had the tyres changed - these are rubber valve stems which pull through much like ordinary ones; obviously once the transmitter has been disconnected. The valves are only 99p each and I bought a pre-set torque screwdriver at the same time - tyre fitters don't seem to mind me messing about for a couple of minutes to disconnect/reconnect them. Only downside so far is the display batteries last about a year and the rubber valves are 'only' rated for 100mph - plenty enough for me.
Regards,
Barry
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club