C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

wont start

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
allingkalling   
Fri Aug 08 2014, 09:01am
Member No: #1261
So went to the garage earlyer this week they suspect a engine computor , so they ordered a new from PSA but not in stock, delivery from supplier 18/8 unconfirmed ! so it will propably take longer.But its still better than doing nothing .
Tjensen   
Fri Aug 08 2014, 12:59pm
Member No: #954
I had such experiencec when my CX T1 was old and tired in its connections.Also heard stories about newer premium/complicated cars. But a 2012 C6 should not do this and the garage should be able to sort it out, anyway. The world is not perfect....... For CX and XM the problam usually was a simple relay that should prevent starting before all conditions were met (like auto-geabox in right position). The only time my C6 didn't start, I had forgot to move gear to "Park"
allingkalling   
Wed Aug 13 2014, 01:32pm
booring to drive volvo when used to citroen c6.....but they will fix it someday.
but i drive also a 1977 cx so the comfort is avilibe
allingkalling   
Thu Aug 28 2014, 02:20pm
finally my c6 is fixed ! happy days. they canged a engine computor .
took it for a drive and it was great soft in suspension and engine and gears.
a fantastic car and so so pretty.
magicands   
Thu Aug 28 2014, 05:34pm
Member No: #1021
That's good news
Website
ChrisHunter   
Tue Sep 02 2014, 02:55am
Member No: #188
Good news, well done - you were very patient, and your patience was rewarded !

Are computer issues like this common, I wonder - we ran our CX GTi T2 for fourteen years, and every day it was a problem to start (but only once did it fail to do so) ... always imagined it was a connector problem, but when it started always seemed quite random - never thought of relays & logical inteconnects, and it's a long time since we let it go to a new home ...
Tjensen   
Tue Sep 02 2014, 07:45am
Member No: #954
My CX Turbo 1 had the same problem, and I heard of others that gave up the car, no one could get it to start. Relays and connections to releys was the usual source of the problem. The engine computer could also fail (mine failed for 2 cylinders, we changed a transistor and it ran for a few more years. Probably the C6 is the same, only even more connections and relays. Actually the CX also had electronic testing equipment that helped garages. Testing equipment and engine computer in charge of both injection and ignition in 1984!

My C6 have so far been generally good and reliable, but 2-3 times the mirrors are moving in strange ways by themselves
ststech   
Sat Sep 06 2014, 10:12am
Member No: #1845
MY C6 2.7 hdi is playing up if left for 24 hrs or more it turns over wont start for ages while cranking and you have to use throttle then it eventualy starts but missfires and throws up depolution system fault and various other faults like injectors gearbox comunication with engine and random others via lexia it then stays with eml lit if you stop and restart it runs smooth then starts ok after that once faults cleared eml goes out and it starts fine all day but it does sound as though its turning over a little slower than it should but it does start i did buy a battery from halfords said was for c6 hdi but it was about 2 to 3 inches shorter than original it made no difference except it went flat quite quick after trying to start the car so i took it back any ideas

im wondering if the battery is faulty as sometimes get more than one injector error code and comunication with other ecu's today i got p0204 injector 4 p0562 abs power on fault gearbox u1208 faulty information transmitted by engine ecu plus a few others
but like i said i dont think even when warm the car doesn't turn over fast enough
i maybe wrong this is my first C6 other than this its a lovely car
Website
speedfix   
Sat Sep 06 2014, 11:56am
Member No: #1043
Sounds like the battery!
Carry out a cold cranking test on the battery first.
Battery details would be helpful.
C6Dave   
Sat Sep 06 2014, 12:43pm

Member No: #1
Due to the C6's complex electronics, voltage drop from the battery in the boot you need to fit the correct battery as others have found out.

smihaialex wrote ...

Problems that suggest you should get a new battery:

- Economy mode kicking in more often than usual...
- Longer than usual engine start times...
- LCD screens flickering more than they should during engine start...
- Engine not starting at first attempt when car was not in use for a couple of days...
- Finding your car in Economy mode even though nobody had been listening to music or doing stuff that would normally bring up Economy mode...
- Any sort of electrical or electronic weirdness...

Getting back to what battery you should get...

Several websites (including VARTA's official website) list the VARTA E38 as the proper replacement in the VARTA SILVER family. The E38 is a high-end 74Ah CCA 750 battery.

However, I followed this recommendation and found (the hard way), that this is not large enough for high-end C6 models (i.e. Exclusive w 2.7 HDi 3.0 HDi or 3.0i engines).

While using the car on a daily basis and normal weather, I found absolutely no problem, but when winter got bad (-5 to -10 C regularly) and I left the car unused for several days - it had trouble starting, then after the winter vacation (1+ week of complete and utter neglecting) it didn't start at all, I even had trouble getting in...

So, if you don't want any problems, regardless of how often you use your car and regardless of how bad the weather is, the proper replacement is the VARTA H3 which is a 100Ah CCA 830.

No question or doubt about it - go for the VARTA H3 and even though it's a bit more expensive, your car will thank you for your choice.

Oh and, no need to use any tricks when changing battery, just make sure not to linger - I managed to do the swap in less than 10 seconds (I mean the total time that no battery was connected to the car, not the total time of the change-up, because that's a little bit more complicated - you have to take half the car apart )

Thanks,
Sam

The Varta H3 can be found by Googling for around £85.00 here in the UK
Website
dsharples   
Sat Sep 06 2014, 05:50pm
Member No: #119
An alternative if you are in the UK is to use your Citroen Dealers' "Fixed Price Repairs" offer. For £110 inc. VAT they will replace your battery "inc. parts and labour". I had mine replaced at the last visit. They fitted a L50 95Ah/950(EN) 12V battery which is branded with the Peugeot and Citroen logos.

I understand that some dealers do "fixed price repairs" and some don't - and some might only do it if you ask specifically for the "Citroen fixed price offer".

Given that this battery is listed at over £190 from Citroen, and at over £85 from ebay - I think this is a brilliant offer from Citroen...
ststech   
Sat Sep 06 2014, 10:16pm
just ordered a varta h3 100ah 830cca online just under £86
will update when i have put it to the test
Website
ststech   
Fri Sep 12 2014, 04:11am
bad news
its acting up again
a bit complicated i have changed battery to varta h3 830 now it turns a bit faster now but if the car is left for say 24 hrs and you get in and crank it it takes several turns and wont start it eventualy starts but sounds like its running on 4 or 5 pots and throws up depolution fault and engine management light is on then if you shut it off and restart straight away it is running on all 6 again but management light still on and depolution fault displayed on multifunction screen
also the radio goes back to album 1 as though the battery has been disconnected as usualy it plays where it left off now i know that if i go back to it for the rest of the day it will start fine i will hook up to lexia again later and it will show injector fault and other faults as usual

the only way to stop this is to crank it from cold for a few seconds wait and try again a few times then it starts and runs ok without the depolution or management light on

i did notice at low revs it was missing a bit like described in a post relating to egr failure

im pulling my hair out now its driving me mad

any ideas

thanks Simon
Website
speedfix   
Fri Sep 12 2014, 05:04am
Member No: #1043
IMO one or two heater plugs have failed, unburnt fuel will put the dpf management light on on starting from cold.
This fault will give the impression of a failing battery!
Replace all.

Glow heater plugs on the 2,7 are pig to to sorry for the bad news.
ststech   
Fri Sep 12 2014, 08:48am
i have just replaced all glow plugs a week a go when i changed the coolant tank as it had split and found only one was working the other 5 were open circuit
so were next

its 5 hours since i started her from cold went to put some more fuel in not that it needed any and depolution fault still there even though she started fine i put fuel in restarted it and depolution message gone along with engine management light

got me puzzled completely
Website
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club