C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

air con conundrum!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
burrid01   
Sat Jun 14 2014, 09:00pm
Member No: #1560
On my 2.2 GL10WEX I recently replaced the Condenser (not unusual for condensers to fail, but disappointing after only 4 years use?).

The system has been checked for leaks, re-gassed and works well EXCEPT when it gets really hot sitting in the sun. 26 degrees in Kent this week and air-con did nothing in the heat of the day. By 6pm when it had cooled down considerably, it worked fine again! This has happened three times now, always when car hot. Any ideas anyone please?

David
C6Dave   
Sun Jun 15 2014, 06:21am

Member No: #1
Hmm, there have been reports on C4owners of similar air con issues in hot temperatures, just can't remember what the answer was for now.....
Website
C6Dave   
Sun Jun 15 2014, 06:44am

And the answer is here: - Click Here -. diagnosed as a faulty Air Con Pressure Sensor which may have been the cause of the original blown condenser?
Website
burrid01   
Sun Jun 15 2014, 11:22am
C6 Dave - Thank you very much for checking this out for me. I will talk to Citroen Canterbury (Barretts) and get a quote for new sensor.
magicands   
Sun Jun 15 2014, 03:19pm
Member No: #1021
Had my C6 re gassed last year and now run it with Climate control always switched on as advised.
I also suffer from this anomaly in hot temps or if the car has stood in the sun for a long period of time, works great at temps no higher than 22 degrees.
My partner just purchased a 63 plate C4 VTR saloon with 7 miles on the clock from Citroen Coventry and this vehicle is identical to mine, fine if not too hot but will not blow cold after high air temps???
Website
C6Dave   
Sun Jun 15 2014, 06:19pm

magicands wrote ...

My partner just purchased a 63 plate C4 VTR saloon with 7 miles on the clock from Citroen Coventry and this vehicle is identical to mine, fine if not too hot but will not blow cold after high air temps???

Follow the link I posted and read the thread.
Website
magicands   
Mon Jun 16 2014, 11:50am
Yes, already looked at the link Dave, was simply stating the case for both my C6 and her C4, I was not asking for help or advice despite the ?? at the end of my comment.
They were simply there to question parts that may have failed on a brand new car, and not just hers by the look of this. If Citroen know there is a problem with the part then they should find a fix & not simply carry on using a part that is known to have issues.
Hence the ??
Website
burrid01   
Mon Jun 16 2014, 07:36pm
C6 Dave,
I called Citroen Canterbury and asked about Air-con pressure sensor. They have asked me to take it in when the air-con is not working before they are prepared to change the pressure sensor. That = a day of 24C +. How long ahead will that be?!!

Where is the sensor located? Is it the one that screws into the bottom of the Condenser (opposite side to the drier). Also, in Citroen parts speak, is it a "sensor" or "switch"
David
C6Dave   
Tue Jun 17 2014, 06:39am

burrid01 wrote ...

Where is the sensor located? Is it the one that screws into the bottom of the Condenser (opposite side to the drier). Also, in Citroen parts speak, is it a "sensor" or "switch"
David

No idea, I only provided the link. The answer may be in the Tech Doc section somewhere...
Website
cruiserphil   
Tue Jun 17 2014, 03:36pm

Member No: #38
Lads,

Just another suggestion.

Last year I had one of the cars regassed and the same problem happened on the first very hot day. In the morning fine, in the evening fine, but during the day the AC didn't work. Then I thought, the system is regassed so when it was filled it was obviously filled to optimum pressure...but that was in mild ambient conditions. So I bought a pressure gauge and when fitted showed the refrigerant pressure to be correct. But the next hot day when it failed to operate, I fitted the gauge and it showed the refrigerant pressure to be excessive. So I assumed the over pressure sensor was protecting the system and that the refrigerant pressure was increased because of the heat. My solution was to vent the pressure sufficient to start the AC and no problems since. Also the reduction in pressure did not affect performance during the cooler months.

So perhaps check this out before changing the sensor particularly if it is not that long since having the system regassed.

Regards,

Phil C.
burrid01   
Tue Jun 17 2014, 06:50pm
Thank you for your suggestion. I have borrowed a gauge and await a hot day. Fingers crossed.

David
magicands   
Wed Jun 18 2014, 11:13am
burrid01 wrote ...

Thank you for your suggestion. I have borrowed a gauge and await a hot day. Fingers crossed.

David

Interested to hear what you find out so please enlighten us when you get a chance?
Thanks.
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club