Hanging around.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
magicands   
Sat May 24 2014, 07:58pm
Member No: #1021
Hi all,
my car goes in on Weds for a wheel check which includes wishbones, bushes, ball joints, bearings, etc.

The garage have a new hydraulic lift which will leave all 4 wheels dangling with no support.

My question(s) - Do they remove the cap on the LDS tank beforehand and should the suspension be raised to its full height or would this be ok left as is.

And any other advise would be welcome?

Thanks in advance.
Gary
Website
C6Dave   
Sun May 25 2014, 07:25am

Member No: #1
Raise the suspension to it's full height and Remove the LDS tank cap to be safe.

Newer ones are vented but..... is it worth the risk?
Website
gmerry   
Sun May 25 2014, 12:03pm
Member No: #21
Gary, I have a cap with attached 5mm tube. Screw this in position before handing it over to the garage.

The cap with tube is part of the tool used for bleeding the hydraulics.

regards
G
magicands   
Sun May 25 2014, 08:24pm
gmerry wrote ...

Gary, I have a cap with attached 5mm tube. Screw this in position before handing it over to the garage.

The cap with tube is part of the tool used for bleeding the hydraulics.

regards
G

I don't have this cap & tube so I am left with Dave's option of removing the LDS cap beforehand.
Thanks for the confirmation info though, both of you.
Website
rogerandoutman   
Mon May 26 2014, 10:18am
Member No: #466
Raise the suspension to full hight, unscrew lds cap but leave resting in place - dont wand dirt falling into tank, it only has a course filter. Remove ignition key also
Ped   
Tue May 27 2014, 04:54pm
Member No: #82
Guys

Can you explain to an idiot how to remove the LDS cap, plus show me where it is?

I'm having new boots on Thurs and presume they'll lift it.

Cheers
ped
magicands   
Tue May 27 2014, 05:28pm
Ped wrote ...

Guys

Can you explain to an idiot how to remove the LDS cap, plus show me where it is?

I'm having new boots on Thurs and presume they'll lift it.

Cheers
ped

Hi Ped, here is the LDS tank cap (arrowed) unless somebody tells me that's not it of course?

Website
dsharples   
Tue May 27 2014, 08:02pm
Member No: #119
Off topic, but a) your car is much cleaner under-bonnet than mine and b) I have what looks to be an air-con pipe that loops close to the washer filler (blue) that comes up from under the water pipe... you don't seem to have that arrangement.
Ped   
Wed May 28 2014, 11:02am
Member No: #82
Thanks for that. So I simply unscrew it after putting the car in high mode? I've never done that before and presume nobody who's carried out an MOT has done either.

Cheers
ped
magicands   
Wed May 28 2014, 05:27pm
Yep, that's it.
I assume that at an MOT your C6 is driven over a pit rather than lifted on a ramp that allows the wheels to dangle in mid air, I assume this because you would probably blow the LDS tank if the latter were the case and the cap was not taken off.
Unless you have a later model which has a vented/bleeder type system on the LDS tank?
Website
C6Dave   
Wed May 28 2014, 06:07pm

magicands wrote ...

Yep, that's it.
I assume that at an MOT your C6 is driven over a pit rather than lifted on a ramp that allows the wheels to dangle in mid air,

MOT's are carried out on a 4 post lift where the wheels don't dangle
Website
josok   
Thu May 29 2014, 03:25pm
Member No: #1222
A MOT without lifting the car from it's wheels to check for suspension- and bearing issues? Not possible in this country. And yes, the MOT staff knows to select the high setting first and cap loose first. Although there are only 90 C6's in the whole country
C6Dave   
Thu May 29 2014, 03:38pm

josok wrote ...

A MOT without lifting the car from it's wheels to check for suspension- and bearing issues? Not possible in this country.

They lift on a 4 post lift and then jack an axle at a time from it just enough for the wheels to clear the platform so it doesn't have 4 wheels hanging at once
Website
magicands   
Thu May 29 2014, 05:11pm
Ah correction folks, my garage now have a lift that only supports the middle section of the vehicle leaving as I said "All 4 wheels dangling" in effect its a giant jack.
My cars have also never been lifted in the air during an MOT as the garage always used a pit and had a rolling road.
Jacking up wheels only if necessary.
Website
magicands   
Mon Jun 02 2014, 04:03pm
This is the lift that my garage uses.
New brake discs, pads and front near side ball joint.
With labour £443.00
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club