C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Don't fit attractive shiny Citroen logo metal dustcaps from eBay

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
PaulY   
Mon May 12 2014, 06:14pm
Member No: #142
I feel very embarrassed letting you all know this. My only defence is that I am not the first person ever to have made this mistake, but maybe the first on a C6?. Despite the embarrassment, I just have to say something, as I would hate this to happen to anyone else. So here goes. Wanting to make my car look its best,

I bought some shiny metal dust caps for my wheels from eBay with the Citroen logo on them. When I got to the garage to pump up my tyres some weeks later, I could not get the dustcaps off.

Worse still, in forcing one, I broke the wheel valve on the garage forecourt and had to put on the spare tyre, there and then. The bottom line is that in turned out that the dust caps had corroded fast on ALL wheels, and that they could not be removed without breaking the valves.

So I had to get all the valves replaced, and at £80 each excluding labour, from my Citroen Dealer, that's one hell of a costly mistake!
e3steve   
Mon May 12 2014, 07:15pm
Member No: #1163
Same happened to me, about six months ago. Not with aftermarket gimmicaps but with the nickelled brass type. Thankfully only one -- the rest were plastic -- but still a lesson learned.

They can be used but not without some non-degrading lube to offset dissimilar metal corrosion!
C6Dave   
Mon May 12 2014, 07:56pm

Member No: #1
It's been well posted before, don't use metal dust caps on the pressure sensing valves. The metal reacts together and they seize solid

Use plastic ones only and lubricate them with something like Ferrosol

Even if the plastic caps stick, you can split with a stanley knife and get them off without damaging the valves
Website
Trainman   
Mon May 12 2014, 09:32pm

Member No: #86
And just to make you feel better, it happen to the old editor of a certain publication who did know better...... I won't mention any names......but he knows who he is.....
Dan595   
Tue May 13 2014, 09:58am
Member No: #299
I use Boeshield on the tyre valves - if it's good enough for Boeing, it's good enough for me. 7.5 years and 135,000 miles, no problems as yet.
Chris Burmajster   
Wed May 14 2014, 06:49pm
Member No: #81
Trainman wrote ...

And just to make you feel better, it happen to the old editor of a certain publication who did know better...... I won't mention any names......but he knows who he is.....

Thanks, Steve! Guilty as charged!
magicands   
Fri May 16 2014, 03:45pm
Member No: #1021
I purchased the exact same item when i first got my car but fortunately they were pinched within a week by some dead head who actually did me a favour..
Website
Trainman   
Sat May 17 2014, 12:27am

Member No: #86
Chris Burmajster wrote ...

Trainman wrote ...

Thanks, Steve! Guilty as charged!

I didn't say anything.......
Dave Mc   
Sat May 17 2014, 07:01pm
Member No: #64
I've used these on my C6, C5 and my wife's C2. Always used a small amount of Vaseline before fitting and have never had a problem for quite a few years.
verycleverman   
Sat May 17 2014, 10:09pm
Member No: #65
I highlighted this problem about four years ago: - Click Here -
The issue is dealt with on the Schraeder website; it would have been good if the same warning had been in the Owner's Handbook!

Pete

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club