C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Small leak at the rear

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ungarsee   
Tue Apr 15 2014, 04:24pm
Member No: #1407
Afternoon all. I seem to have a small leak of some kind at the rear of the car. It seems to be relatively central and roughly under the rear axle. Any ideas if this is the sign of something typical or could it be one of many problems? I'm what most would class as mechanically inept so no chance I'll be doing the work myself but would be nice to have an idea of what it might be before I take it to the garage. Quantity wise, not a huge amount seems to be on the drive but it's definitely marked it's territory!

Thanks

Phil
C6Dave   
Tue Apr 15 2014, 06:33pm

Member No: #1
Any description of it, oily feel, colour etc?
Website
Ungarsee   
Tue Apr 15 2014, 07:08pm
I've tried mopping some up but not 100% on colour but it's definitely a lighter colour. Have shoved some white paper underneath so will report back once some more has dripped down
Ungarsee   
Tue Apr 15 2014, 07:30pm
Some has now dripped down and I'm reliably informed by the wife (I'm colourblind) that it's a rusty orangey brown translucent colour and is an oily consistency. Any ideas? And is it expensive??!!
Ungarsee   
Tue Apr 15 2014, 07:47pm
Managed to get a picture as well. It's slap bang in the middle and seems to be coming from or from above the thin black tube

cruiserphil   
Tue Apr 15 2014, 08:59pm

Member No: #38
It appears you have an LDS leak on the rear suspension circuit. Unusual place to get it. Best to have it checked out and sorted. Not sure on expense. I replaced a hydraulic pipe a while ago but cannot recollect the price to give you a guide.

Regards,

Phil C.
Ungarsee   
Tue Apr 15 2014, 09:37pm
Thanks Phil. Will get it to my local garage next week then. If anyone has an idea of the cost I should be quoted it would be very much appreciated.
C6Dave   
Wed Apr 16 2014, 06:48am

The description of the 'fluid' could also apply to the Eolys additive for the DPF and the pouches have been known to split......
Website
Ungarsee   
Wed Apr 16 2014, 07:42am
Dave, if it is an eolys pouch is it a big job or something relatively straight forward? Searching doesn't seem to have come up with much
Trainman   
Wed Apr 16 2014, 08:24am

Member No: #86
Looking at the picture, I'm wondering if it could be another case of the Jubilee clip working loose, just like the LDS leak.............. just a thought
gmerry   
Wed Apr 16 2014, 12:13pm
Member No: #21
Ungarsee, as a mechanically inept owner you could (should) at least check the LDS level and top up to compensate for the leakage, at least until you can get to the nearest competent repairer. There is no low level warning light for loss of LDS!!!. Don't use LHM. Any Citroen dealer or repair shop should have a bottle or two of LDS otherwise buy a bottle of Total LDS from ebay.

In the meantime, any speculation as to cost of repair is pretty worthless because the problem may be quite minor, but it could quickly escalate if left unrepaired (like suspension dropping and losing power steering).

Regards
G

PS, you may well end up being drowned in anecdotes about C6 hydraulic leakage, but here's mine:-

1/ Very rusty rear central suspension spheres
2/ Faulty high pressure tube/hose assembly (Tube is about 5mm outer diameter bonded to rubber hose about 11mm diameter)

2/
Ungarsee   
Wed Apr 16 2014, 05:21pm
Thank G but how do I check the LDS level without a Lexia? I've searched the forum and found the download but it says I need to lower suspension, depressurise using diagnostic tool etc. Is this something a local dealer will do quickly for me? I'm currently in Aberdeen so nowhere near home (London) where my normal independent garage is based.
C6Dave   
Wed Apr 16 2014, 06:35pm

You simply remove the tank cap, lower the suspension using the control on the centre console (engine running) and look into the tank as per the FAQ - Click Here -
Website
gmerry   
Wed Apr 16 2014, 07:15pm
Member No: #21
If you are in Aberdeen, local options are Arnold Clark, Citroen dealer (not sure if there will be anyone there familiar with a C6), 35 miles south in Montrose at Duthies (lots of good reviews) or Oldmill Motors 01224 875555
and ask for Nick.

Personally, I would not risk a drive south to London with a hydraulic leak (if that's what it is)

G
Ungarsee   
Tue Apr 29 2014, 06:36pm
Quick update, all now sorted. Turns out it was a damaged LDS pipe so pipe replaced, LDS topped up and no leak. Big thumbs up to the Citroen Centre in Erith who fixed it while replacing my pads and discs. Repair must have been simple as no charge for it!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club