Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Super Sticky

Thermostat / tank / housing access procedure

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
e3steve   
Fri Mar 28 2014, 12:41pm
Member No: #1163
I finally got around to creating this tutorial!

If anyone spots any errors, please PM me and I'll correct them.

gmerry   
Fri Mar 28 2014, 02:20pm
Member No: #21
Steve, you are a star!
Jodyone   
Fri Mar 28 2014, 06:38pm
Member No: #1240
Fabulous, Steve! What an effort to have put in for everyone else. I haven't had to do this yet, but if/when I do, I'll be following this (then it's your fault..!)
e3steve   
Fri Mar 28 2014, 07:31pm
Member No: #1163
Jodyone wrote ...

Fabulous, Steve! What an effort to have put in for everyone else. I haven't had to do this yet, but if/when I do, I'll be following this (then it's your fault..!)
No warranty is implied or intended! Your investment can go down as well as up! Terms and conditions apply!

Did I forget anything? Oh yes, "The Devil made me do it...."
robingc33   
Thu Dec 03 2015, 04:33pm
Member No: #2303
Hi,
I'm contemplating replacing some cooling system components and wondered if anyone can tell me whether the thermostat housing becomes more readily accessible without all the "normal" dismantling if one removes the radiator first?

Any advice greatfully received please.

I have to replace the little plastic domed chamber (part of 1351KV, located at the front o/s of the engine, immediately under the corner of the engine cover) since it weeps from the middle seam when the engine's run hard. Consequently I'm thinking I might as well replace the thermostat housing, possibly the potentially rusting/exposed heater return pipe and perhaps even the expansion tank whilst I'm at it.

Thanks,
Robin
gmerry   
Thu Dec 03 2015, 04:54pm
Hi Robingc33. Removal of the radiator won't help access to the thermostat tank. Also remember there is a 2nd tank (outlet from waterpump) which has also caused a few problems. Any particular reason for replacing the header/degassing tank - they look pretty sturdy.

Regards
G
robingc33   
Thu Dec 03 2015, 07:50pm
Member No: #2303
Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the instant advice re thermostat housing access; I'll cross that route off the list then .

And yes, I just realised I'd forgotten to include the mid-V outlet housing in my thoughts (only just realised what/where this is; I was also getting a bit confused with the thermostat housing!).

Re the expansion/header tank I was thinking that if I do replace the more vulnerable plastic components, then whilst I'm at it I might as well replace that too for the sake of an an extra £54 and very little work!
I guess I'm a bit un-nerved by the brittle plastic and coolant-loss horror stories (and the current seapage from my little black dome-thingy) and would like some piece of mind

But there are obviously other plastic items in the cooling system that (hopefully) aren't potentially problematic longer-term - connectors, heater, etc.; I guess the ones directly attached to the engine are obviously under greater stress with heat and vibration and so perhaps fail more readily.
My C6 is a 2006 2.7 with 52k on the clock.

But I'm probably being a bit pessimistic

Regards,
Robin
nouveaucitroenist   
Sun Jan 31 2016, 09:52pm
Member No: #2222
Thanks e3steve, this helped me a lot to do mine. For info for others contemplating this I found a remote action hose clip tool very useful to get to some of the hose clips. I had a leak on an 'o'ring when putting things back together and was told by Citroën that the ring had to be bought complete with the plastic T piece, associated hoses and sensors, however, I found a box of 400 or so 'O' rings in toolstation for £8 with one that fitted perfectly!
I took my old part to pieces once removed and found one of the 3 screws clamping the two parts of the plastic housing together seemed to be the culprit for my leak as it was corroded.
gmerry   
Mon Feb 01 2016, 12:13pm
Hi NewCitroenPerson, I've cross linked this post to my post with part numbers for the seals (thermostat housing to cylinder head and oil cooler)

here

- Click Here -.

Note part number 1341370 is a Land Rover part number as PSA do not seem to stock this one.

Regards
G

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club