C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Aftermarket Undertray Sound Deadening

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Thu Mar 27 2014, 02:59pm
Member No: #21
Hi all, I purchased one of those cheap ebay undertrays and it looks far too lightweight to provide any sound attenuation.

Does anyone have any advice of where to purchase suitable heavy, high temperature resistant stick on sound mat.

Regards
G
e3steve   
Thu Mar 27 2014, 04:04pm
Member No: #1163
gmerry wrote ...

Hi all, I purchased one of those cheap ebay undertrays and it looks far to lightweight to provide any sound attenuation.

Does anyone have any advice of where to prurchase suitable heavy, hight temperature resistant stick on sound mat.

Regards
G
Is that the Nero Bart undertray on eBay, G? I bought that one (P407) and; it's about 4mm material I think.

There's some excellent foil-clad marine engine room sound deadening available from good chandlers. The black foam is of a high-density and it's available in various thicknesses.

- Click Here -

C6Dave   
Thu Mar 27 2014, 04:17pm

Member No: #1
I bought some 'Dynamat Hoodliner Heat Reflective Sound Deadening' (other brands are available) on eBay for the Traction engine bay G.

Super sticky, designed for engine bays and wipe clean on the foil side, but as e3steve says try a ships chandlers locally, but eBay may prove cheaper
Website
gmerry   
Fri Mar 28 2014, 09:26am
Hi E3steve, yes the aftermarket undertray was the Nero Bart item.

The Nero Bart is just a solid sheet of plastic: the OEM one is a dense sandwich construction designed to deaden the engine sound. Plus it must be three times the mass. Now that I have it, I'll add some heavy sound deadening and see how that works.

In the meantimne, one corner of mine is hanging down below the car.

On a somewhat related issue, are the stainless stud conversion fasteners again sold on ebay any good, the ones that replace the the quick release screws. Looking at the Parts list, Citroen changed the fasteners for a mixed system on later cars, say 2009 onwards. Can anyone comment on this?

Regards
mercuryrv   
Mon Nov 03 2014, 02:42am
Member No: #1848
gmerry wrote ...

Hi E3steve, yes the aftermarket undertray was the Nero Bart item.

The Nero Bart is just a solid sheet of plastic: the OEM one is a dense sandwich construction designed to deaden the engine sound. Plus it must be three times the mass. Now that I have it, I'll add some heavy sound deadening and see how that works.

In the meantimne, one corner of mine is hanging down below the car.

On a somewhat related issue, are the stainless stud conversion fasteners again sold on ebay any good, the ones that replace the the quick release screws. Looking at the Parts list, Citroen changed the fasteners for a mixed system on later cars, say 2009 onwards. Can anyone comment on this?

Regards

Can anyone give an update on the sound deadening that works please and where from PLEASE? Also what are the aftermarket trays like for quality, fit and rigidity please?
gmerry   
Mon Nov 03 2014, 09:20am
Hi, the aftermarket tray I fitted is good quality for what it is (a tough simple layer of plastic) but does not compare even remotely to the OEM shield.

Regards
G

PS, to answer my own question from 9 months ago: I purchased the stainless steel ebay fasteners and they were rubbish, did not work at all.
speedfix   
Mon Nov 03 2014, 11:39am
Member No: #1043
I can see major probs if the after market ones do not have the cut outs for locating the jacking position with jacking beam etc when folk need to raise the car.
e3steve   
Mon Nov 03 2014, 08:37pm
Member No: #1163
The C6 and the P407 require deeper clips and longer retainers in order to hold the undertray in place. The deeper clips are needed because they locate into 4mm thick alloy subframe members, as opposed to sheet metal underbody members in the floorpan of lesser models (C5, P206 & 307, etc). The short retainers and their associated snap-in clips don't do the job at all. Well, not for long, anyway!

I've tried to get/order them at my local Cit dealer, Yeoman's of Fareham, to no avail...
mercuryrv   
Mon Nov 03 2014, 10:04pm
Hi good people, decided to call my local dealer, after a quick chat it seems the obvious answer was to order the CORRECT part, surprised how reasonable the price is, £113.81 less 10% and they have ordered the updated fittings for for it as well, all available. If you are saying your dealer cannot supply, once I have the parts this Wednesday (05/10/14) I will let you have the part numbers. I did check as I felt the price of the undertray was very reasonable, if it came with the soundproofing as well, and it does. I have to say I am surprised how reasonable some parts are for the lovely C6, is this a case that Citroen have reduced the prices or just they are sensibly priced from the outset? Perhaps I have not wanted any of the parts that are outrageous yet!! What will happen when I want to order a replacement sump pan or the light coloured 'B' post trim panel I wonder, am I in for a shock?
C6Dave   
Tue Nov 04 2014, 07:47am

Member No: #1
0301Q9 Engine Oil Sump 2.7 HDi - £131.39 inc Vat

030457 Sump Gasket - £20.60 inc Vat

That's at UK Main dealer retail prices..........
Website
mercuryrv   
Tue Nov 04 2014, 08:03am
Thank you for that Dave, not that bad then really, thanks. Simon
gmerry   
Thu Feb 25 2016, 08:55am
Hi all, there has been a few queries as to what sound deadening foam I used in conjunction with the aftermarket plastic undertray.

First read this article, explains how a foam/mass sound absorbing layer works:-

- Click Here -

note requirement for mass (i.e. a heavy layer) and fire retardency.

I purchased my acoustic foam from nkgroup

- Click Here -

Vibrasorb. Half a sheet is ample, note its 4 kg for a half sheet.

The attached photos show the foil face, peel off backing, thickness compared to a pencil, cross section is foil, foam, weighted plastic layer, adhesive

Now I'm thinking about this, I'll replace the tatty bulkhead matting with some of this stuff.

Regards
G

frozenbeard81   
Thu Feb 25 2016, 11:17am
Member No: #2503
Slightly o/the but I am surprised how reasonable parts are from Citroën.
DZR   
Thu Feb 25 2016, 11:26am
Member No: #2168
I ordered a kit, containig all the clips and retainers recuired to fasten the under panel, from my local dealer. I think the part number was 6999GG..
C6Chester   
Thu Jun 09 2016, 04:51pm
Member No: #2287
So is £150ish reasonable to pay for a new undertray?

Mine had been held on with zip-ties for years apparently. Well, until the whole thing came flying off at 80mph on the motorway and bounced into a field somewhere near Cheswardine long to be forgotten.

My Citroen dealership quoted me £600 to replace when I got it serviced!
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club