C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

New C6 owner from New Zealand

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
NZC6   
Sat Mar 22 2014, 05:13am
Member No: #1629
A few days ago I took delivery of a beautiful 2007 HDI Exclusive C6 with lounge pack in black with cream interior which seems to be the classic and most popular finish from what I can tell. It has most of what you would expect from this model including an RT3 system which noone can source a sat nav CD for NZ roads. I had expected this so I am relaxed about it - I could always get a Tom Tom or similar if I really want sat nav. It doesn't have the lane departure warning system for some reason - not sure why? It has a sunroof which I believe is relatively rare - does anyone know how many have this option?

It has done 80,000 kilometers (50,000 miles) so not too bad for this vintage I thought.

First real drive only 4 days after getting it was not a great experience though as the overheating STOP alert came on. I stopped and looking under the bonnet steam was rising from the engine. I waited until the temperature dropped right down and tried to get to a service station. As I started driving you could literally watch the temperature gauge rising. Not good! so I decided I was going no further. It was the middle of no where with no cellphone coverage. Walking back to a house I managed to use their phone to get a recovery truck. A bit of drama getting it on as the nose bottomed out on the ramp ripping of some trim around the number plate so I had to start the engine to raise it. It is now back with the dealer to fix it. Hopefully its nothing too serious - there was a small puddle under the car so maybe just a coolant leak that can be easily fixed? - fingers crossed.

Anyway not a good start. The brief time I drove it was absolutely fantastic. Its a car I have admired ever since the first drawings of the prototype were published. I have owned a BX GTi and Xantia before so have some Citroen experience. I hope this is a one off issue that can be easily solved. I will find out in a few days after the garage has a look at it.
jacktherev   
Sat Mar 22 2014, 06:44pm
Member No: #1423
NZC6 I'm glad you are enjoying your purchase. I agree with you totally there is nothing like the C6 to be found anywhere so enjoy it as I am.
NZC6   
Sat Mar 22 2014, 10:37pm
Thanks Jacktherev. Cant say I am fully feeling the love at the moment though. I am nervously awaiting the verdict especially after reading Chevrons story of overheating on this forum. I do have a 4 year warranty though. When I get it back I need to have a good look under the nose to see if it was damaged in any way getting it on the recovery truck. I think there is a rubber skirt under there which hopefully absorbed the scraping that occurred - anyone know?

I have a Citroen C4 Aircross as a loaner. Basically it is a Mitsubishi ASX (or Peugeot 4008) underneath and it is noisy with a shiny plastic feel in the interior. I want my C6 back - it feels like a real Citroen should.
e3steve   
Sun Mar 23 2014, 09:48pm
Member No: #1163
Welcome to C6 ownership.

You absolutely did the right thing in not driving any further! Cooking the engine after it pukes coolant is really easy to do; don't fret too much right now, though, as you have a warranty and I get the impression you didn't let the overheat run away. When mine split its 'stat housing -- a common failure -- I was in traffic and the temp gauge didn't report the elevation; it was the oil temp that went through the roof and brought up the STOP warning.

The problem when the coolant gets dumped is that the temp gauge sender, which is in the upper heater hose, becomes dry as it's close to the highest point in the cooling system; it therefore cannot sense any change in coolant temperature as it's no longer immersed.

If your coolant temp gauge did its job then I'd suspect a failed-shut 'stat, as the sender must've still been immersed in liquid for the warning system to work; and if the 'stat isn't opening then the water pump can't circulate the coolant to get rid of the heat via the radiator.

If the 'stat has pooped then I'd pay the additional GB£120 over and above the cost of just a thermostat and have the garage replace the 'stat tank completely (it comes complete with a new 'stat already in place). They need to gain enough access to replace the 'stat and there's no more labour cost involved in replacing the tank as well. If they say there is then it shouldn't be any more than an additional quarter-hour.
NZC6   
Mon Mar 24 2014, 06:33am
Well I got the verdict back. I sent them e3steves response and they have confirmed that this was exactly the problem. They are now going to replace the stat tank all under warranty. It will take over a week to get the part but as long as it solves the issue completely that is fine.

So thank you e3steve - this forum is very impressive!
gmerry   
Mon Mar 24 2014, 09:15am
Member No: #21
NZC6, since you have been through the loss of coolant experience, you might want to fit a tank low level warning sensor - details on this forum. Basically you will need a tank from a Peugeot 407 which is the same tank as a C6 but has a Cartier level switch fitted onn the top, then you need a simple circuit to drive the switch. Should not be too much of a challenge for a Kiwi to get this working.
Ironically the early Owners manuals had a picture of the sensor but it was never fitted to the 2.7HDi.

On the coolant side of things, there is a steel heater pipe on the nearside just inside the front mudgurad inner. This has very poor paint protection and therefore get attacked by road debris and rusts out.

Regards

G
e3steve   
Thu Mar 27 2014, 09:49am
NZC6 wrote ...

Well I got the verdict back. I sent them e3steves response and they have confirmed that this was exactly the problem. They are now going to replace the stat tank all under warranty. It will take over a week to get the part but as long as it solves the issue completely that is fine.

So thank you e3steve - this forum is very impressive!
'Twas just a logical shot in the dark; pleased that it's working out for you, though.

Strange that your dealer didn't have a thermostat tank in stock; very common point of failure!
NZC6   
Sat Mar 29 2014, 06:17am
Thanks for all your help. The dealer managed to get a tank earlier than first promised so it is up and running now. It is the standard Citroen tank fixed under warranty which I hope causes no more problems. I took it for a 200km drive today and it was absolutely stunning. Smooth, quiet and unruffled. Driving it is a real sense of occasion.

The only niggle is the inoperative cruise control which seems to be a very common problem. I have tried the easy fixes listed in the forum - shaking the steering wheel and tapping it from behind but to no avail. Another trip to the dealer coming up I suppose. At least it is not a big problem at the moment and I can still enjoy this very special car.

ChrisHunter   
Sat Mar 29 2014, 10:35am
Member No: #188
when we first got ours, the buttons on the steering wheel didn't work as expected - in our case, the cure was to exercise them a little bit robustly, a few times, and also to read the manual a few times, because we found their mode of operation not intuitive !
gmerry   
Sat Mar 29 2014, 10:57am
Member No: #21
Hi NZC6, intrigued by the photo so managed to track it down as St John's Church Barrhill Canterbury NZ? On the road between Rakaia and Methven. Looks like a lovely spot.

By the way, I spotted a Red/Cream leather C6 in the north of CHCH late 2011. Have you seen this one?

Regards
G
e3steve   
Sat Mar 29 2014, 11:19am
Glad you got it sorted quickly. Don't worry, you won't need another 'stat tank for fifteen months or so........... JUST KIDDING (I hope!).
NZC6   
Sat Mar 29 2014, 10:33pm
Wow Gmerry you are absolutely right. It is Barrhill which was an attempt to set up a colonial utopian religious society in Canterbury around 1870. I am parked in the centre of the town which was set up in a cross with Church, school, church house and school house in each quadrant. The trees were planted in the three circles of the holy trinity. It is now largely abandoned with a few inhabitants still there living in incongruous more contemporary houses. A beautiful spot full of the ghosts of lost ideals and ambitions.

Anyway back to C6s. I am aware of 2 other black C6s (one very low mileage example imported from England last year which is for sale on 'Trade me' at the moment) other than mine in Christchurch but have not seen a red one. A C6 was written of in the Christchurch earthquake when it was trapped in the carpark building of the Grand Chancillor Hotel that almost collapsed and had to be subsequently demolished.
auntieflo   
Fri Apr 04 2014, 09:12am
Member No: #982
Hello NZC6. Fraser here from Dunedin. Very glad to hear there is another dream machine on Mainland roads. My C6 (same as yours but 2008 model without the loungepack) experienced its first two faults in 16 months driving just last week.

No. 1 was the cruise control/speed limiter buttons, which I use constantly as I am sitting on 85 demerit points. The problem was a faulty brake switch. The dealer reckoned they have struck the same thing several times on C4s, C5s and now the C6 (mine being one of only two south of Christchurch - the other is in Queenstown). Not sure if it's the same brake switch on all three models.

No.2 was the aerofoil not working. The advice from Gazley Tory in Wgtn was 'lubricate the sh*t out of it and wind it up and down a few times with an allen key'.

Regrettably, it was a bit late for that. The motor is burnt out.

Happy driving! The C6 is fantastic.
NZC6   
Fri Apr 11 2014, 09:02am
Hi Fraser - good to hear from another Mainlander C6 owner. I have only today had the dealer fix the cruise control and just like you it was a faulty brake switch which is now replaced. Once again members on this forum have made the correct diagnosis of my cars problem - very impressive!

Interesting to once again have a loan car for a day. This time it was a brand new C4. Nice enough but it felt like a 'car' whereas the C6 feels like something much more - almost alive with its 'breathing' suspension, headlight 'eyes' that peer around corners, cosseting drive and its somewhat temperamental character.

NZC6   
Thu May 19 2016, 08:43am
Well after almost two and a half years of C6 ownership I have decided to move on and trade it in on another car. It was my daily driver and when things went wrong I often had to wait 2 weeks for parts to come from France - a real pain. After recently replacing some suspension parts, a starter motor, a coolant hose and an EQR valve I have found myself driving a loan car more than the C6.
I have moved from quiet and sophisticated to loud and brash and now own a 2015 mustang GT. As some said to me 'what are thinking it's like throwing away fine French champagne for a Budweiser!'
It is a bit of a pity to trade in the car when everything is working perfectly. I have thoroughly enjoyed my C6 ownership. It was my dream car and I absolutely loved finally having one but time for a change which the Mustang most certainly is!!
This forum has been great and helped many times. I will still visit from time to time and reminisce.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club