C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Super Sticky

Looking after your tyre pressure sensors

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ocellia   
Wed Aug 24 2011, 10:19am
Member No: #583
Apologies if this said previously......but it seems a piece of unnecessary technology really? I presume you CAN just use 'normal' valves and forgo the sensors? And use that piece of technology in our brain called Memory-remember to check tyres occasionally?

I recall an old 2CV ad.

Had Big list of Car Features- heated seats, etc etc.

With "Other cars' in one column. 2CV on the other column.

Other cars had lots of features. The 2CV column was mainly No/No/ No/

At the bottom, the 2CV column said "Nothing to go wrong"!
wiltscub   
Mon Aug 13 2012, 10:51am
Member No: #886
I'm a little confused and I need to get a pair of new tyres for the car...

So - I need to ensure whoever does the fitting that the DO NOT remove the valve, they are very careful when removing the core and replacing it?

Also, if I wanted to rotate the back tyres to the front and have the new ones put on the back, do the tyres need to be taken off and put on the relevant wheel or can the sensors be re-programmed in Lexia?

Reason for the question is that it's about £70 cheaper to get this done at my local place rather than at Citroën who said that they can rotate them just by moving the wheels whereas local chap said they'd have to remove all the tyres and replace them onto the correct wheel...
C6Dave   
Mon Aug 13 2012, 11:18am

Member No: #1
They can be recoded via Lexia if you do move them around.
Website
gmerry   
Mon Aug 13 2012, 11:46am
Member No: #21
Hi Wiltscub, the tyre pressure sensor ECU will relearn the positions of the sensors, after a tyre rotation. No need to take the tyres to Citroen for this. However sometimes the dim witted ECU gets confused, you may need to go for say a 20 mile drive before everything is OK. It actually helps if you just rotate one tyre at a time. I always double check the ECU is reading the right tyre by letting a little air out, one tyre at a time, waiting for the correct trigger

PS, I have now done about 6 tyre changes/rotations so know all the ins and outs.

However, please remember that the alloy stems are designed to be changed when the tyres are changed. They are not ever-lasting components. The actual sensors will last about 6-10 years before the batteries go flat.

On the C4 forum, I posted a method on how to remove a corroded alloy stem without destroying the tyre pressure sensor. - Click Here -
A replacement alloy stem can them be easily fitted by the tyre shop (if you bring one along).

Regards
G
wiltscub   
Mon Aug 13 2012, 11:55am
Thanks G and Dave,

When you say the "stem" which part of the valve is that? In my inexperienced layman's terms, are you talking about the part inside the actual valve or the outer part which sticks through the wheel?

Thanks,

M
wiltscub   
Mon Aug 13 2012, 12:04pm
OK - having done some more research and due to cost/time constraints:
I'm going for a pair of new Conti's as they are cheaper (though no "budget" at £198.00 fitted each!) and I'm going to get them to move the wheels rather than re-tyre them all as I'm really worried about them buggering up the valves/sensors....

I'm hoping that based on what G said that the ECU will sort out which tyre is where and failing that I'll try letting some air out to try and force it to realise they've moved...

Lets see what happens!
gmerry   
Mon Aug 13 2012, 12:19pm
Hi Wiltscub, starting from the outside of the wheel.

There is the valve cap, which is screwed to the stem.
Inside the stem is the valve core assembly, screwed to the inside of the stem.

On the inside of the wheel, is TYRE PRESSURE SENSOR (TPS) assembly which is fited to the tyre stem and the antennae of the TPS is screwed to the stem.

Regards
G

PS, how old are your TPS stems. Myself, I do not rely on old, corroded, possibly fatigued alloy stems especially on the front wheels.
gmerry   
Mon Aug 13 2012, 12:46pm
Hi Wiltscub.

If you end up needing new sensors, I purchased two from WorldCarParts - Click Here - and can report that they work perfectly, after some fun and games activating the sensors on the car and programming them into the ECU.

My dealer didn't have the activation tool so I ended up buying one myself and doing it DIY.

Regards
G
wiltscub   
Mon Aug 13 2012, 01:42pm
gmerry wrote ...

PS, how old are your TPS stems. Myself, I do not rely on old, corroded, possibly fatigued alloy stems especially on the front wheels.

Hi G - I've no idea, I suspect original to the car unless when it was a Citroën fleet car (before I got it 5 months ago), it had them changed when new tyres were put on.

The tyre place I went to wouldn't touch them though they put in new cores valves for each wheel.

I've done a short drive of 4 miles to a garage to check the pressures and test the sensors and they're still showing in their old locations. Doing an 80 mile drive later so will see what the score is when I get back... If they've not updated, I'll see if there is a Southern C6er who has Lexia and can do the recalibration for me at the next meet or at the CX/XM/Xantia meet beginning of September.

Thanks for all your advice and help!

M
Trainman   
Mon Aug 13 2012, 07:10pm

Member No: #86
wiltscub wrote ...

I'll see if there is a Southern C6er who has Lexia and can do the recalibration for me at the next meet or at the CX/XM/Xantia meet beginning of September.

I'll have mine with me all weekend, and there will be a couple of others there too, just shout
wiltscub   
Wed Aug 15 2012, 02:43pm
So, the plot thickens. Damaged wheel was being repaired, the valve stem is corroded and they couldn't remove it. They were worried that the welding machine would damage the electronics of the sensor.

I told them to go ahead anyway as it will need to be destroyed to be replaced if the valve is corroded on.

That's something to add to the jobs for the service which won't take place until early May 2013.

Also of note, after a few miles around town with the steel spare on, the system noted that there was no sensor in the correct new location i.e. rear offside whereas that wheel had been front nearside and when the pressure dropped again after having a new tyre done and being moved the system was still reporting it as front nearside.

Will report later on latest and start hunting for a new sensor...
C6Dave   
Wed Aug 15 2012, 03:07pm

Plenty on e Bay - Click Here -
Website
gmerry   
Thu Aug 16 2012, 08:04am
Hi Wiltscub, no need to destroy a TPM even if the alloy stem is corroded/seized. Just drill it out using special pilot bit as per my previous post.

Note, the sensors offered by World car parts are genuine Siemens and appear to have an improved anodising.

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Fri Feb 01 2013, 03:53pm

TMP Sensors complete for £57.60 + postage any where in the world - Click Here -
Website
dinozaurul   
Fri Feb 15 2013, 10:48pm
Member No: #1179
Hi,
I have bought a full set of C5 18" alloy wheels for 880 eur on a French site

Fitted with TPMS Siemens VDO and Michelin 245/45/18 100W Primacy HP new old stock tyres.

It should fit my C6 as well, it is the same wheel model "Atlantique".
The seller told me that most parts came from the 2012 Paris Motor Show.

(by the way, I have seen at least 3 similar posts within the last 4 weeks, it appears that the sellers retrieve new old stock tyres, TPMS and new alloy wheels from PSA on highly discounted prices and sell the full set on the internet somewhere between 700 and 900 eur. Check out this link, you will get the picture: - Click Here - The wheels sell pretty fast, the link might display nothing if the item gets sold. Currently it shows up 4 new Peugeot 5008 18" alloy wheels with sensors and tyres for 800 eur)

I have asked a Citroen dealer last week to remove the tyres, sold them on the same site and bought new winter Nokians W3 G2 instead so that I won't have to swap tyres every winter.

Now, here comes my problem: the highly trained Citroen tech not only removed the valves in the process, but also let loose the nuts on *all* 4 valve stems. Not to mention that he also scratched 2 alloys. Arghhhhh... All parts are new, but VDO documentation says never use parts which were torqued before, therefore replace the full service kit (including nut and the sealing washers)

I have ordered a valve core torque wrench preset to 0.34 Nm (dpaccessories ebay us) and a 10pc tyre pressure sensor TPMS valve service kit Ford Galaxy (customneons ebay uk), but did not receive them yet.

What do you think, may I reuse the original nuts and washers and torque them again (8Nm for the nut, according to the VDO documentation) or wait patiently for the service kit to arrive..? Any clues?

Thanks,

Gabriel
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club