Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: Owners Reviews and Road Tests :: C6 owners and drivers reviews

Fuel consumption, C6 240 HDi

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
David K   
Wed Mar 05 2014, 06:44pm
Member No: #42
I just want to share my experiences with you when it comes to fuel economy with a trip from Italy to Sweden in a C6 240 HDi.

The car was picked up in a small city called Mondovi, a really beautiful and charming medieval town, located in-between Torino and Genoa.

We drove first to the Lake Como in a mix of countryside and highway driving and some heavy city traffic in Milano. After that some driving around the lake (beautiful, especially now off-season!) for two days on really tiny roads more made for Fiat 500 than a C6. I once had to back for some 50 meters when I met a truck for example.

Then we started to drive back to Sweden through Switzerland where I didn't pass 120 km/h (75 mph) because of their crazy speeding tickets, and also because it was a mixture of snow and rain during most of the time.

Coming to Germany the weather had improved and we could drive in a relaxed C6-speed of around 180 km/h (112 mph) all the way up to Mainz in the Frankfurt region where we spent a night.

The following day we continued to Puttgarden in northern Germany where there is a quick ferry to Denmark (45 mins ride) and did very rarely go over 140 km/h (87 mph) because no use to be to early to the ferry.

Then driving 150 km (93 miles) through Denmark in an hour (please calculate the speed yourself ), and finally the last 100 km (60 miles) in Sweden in a similar speed.

And in the picture you can see the result of the consumption. Pretty impressive, isn't it? Especially considering it's a 2 ton car with a V6 engine. 6.6 l/100 km is around 42.8 mpg.

Actually with our C3 we had once with a 92 horsepower diesel engine, as soon as we exceeded 120 km/h (75 mph) we had a consumption like this as well.

I know what car I prefer to drive if I want to save fuel…

C6Dave   
Wed Mar 05 2014, 07:01pm

Member No: #1
The 3.0 is definitely better on fuel consumption

Sounds like a nice trip BTW
Website
jacktherev   
Wed Mar 05 2014, 07:12pm
Member No: #1423
a very nice trip in the luxury of a beautiful car. What more does one want?
Jodyone   
Wed Mar 05 2014, 08:29pm
Member No: #1240
We just did a similar drive in our C6 2.7- from UK down through France and Switzerland to Italy, to Verona, Venice, and then the Amalfi Coast; then back up a similar way, via Germany and Luxembourg briefly, to Bruges; then home to Cornwall.

Nearly 4000 miles in total, at an average of 37.2 mpg- clearly less efficient than the 3.0. Varied driving, gentle initially but faster later on, as I joined in with the general italian "pile-in" approach! The tiny roads on the Amalfi coast were fun too when you're basically driving a cruise ship.

I'll write up the trip more thoroughly, but here's a pic from when we exited the Gottard tunnel southbound (Switzerland, 14km): it was basically dry when we went in, with a bit of snow on the ground in the shade..!
Something of a surprise to drive into especially on slippery summer tyres.

jacktherev   
Fri Mar 07 2014, 10:40pm
Member No: #1423
Nice picture but I can only imagine how you felt when you saw it. Anyway you had great comfort in the C6,
David K   
Fri Mar 14 2014, 08:40pm
Member No: #42
It was definitely a nice trip! The most interesting is driving in to the St Gotthard tunnel in -4°C and after a few minutes look at the temperature on the screen and see that it's showing 25°C. The inside of the earth is obviously pretty hot!

Since coming home the only problem at the moment is to decide what car to keep.
The Abyssal colored with Wadabis leather, or the Mativiore colored with Alezan leather.

Tricky question, isn't it?

Bishop   
Mon Mar 17 2014, 09:11am
Member No: #868
I've got to say, I like the Mativiore/ Alezan combo in the picture, it's a bit different and suits the car very well.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club