C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

How loud should the speakers be?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
cvandonderen   
Fri Feb 28 2014, 01:32pm
Member No: #1439
Since we bought our C6 6 months ago I haven't been sure about the volume level in the rear of the car, we don't use it that often, so I never really bothered.

But my question is: When I turn off 'Volume correction' I need to put it on about 10 for the radio to have a normal amount of volume. When I turn the Volume correction on I have it on 4, but then you hear almost nothing in the rear.

Should I replace the speakers in the rear, or is this normal?
It's a 2007 Exclusive with RT4, but not the TGV seats.
eduardomaio   
Fri Feb 28 2014, 03:32pm
Member No: #869
Do you have the fading between front and rear speakers at half?
Website
cvandonderen   
Fri Feb 28 2014, 05:59pm
eduardomaio wrote ...

Do you have the fading between front and rear speakers at half?

Yes, everything is in the middle, left/right and front/back.
e3steve   
Fri Feb 28 2014, 09:54pm
Member No: #1163
I use mine with a fader offset at +5 to the rear; the bass tones are much richer.
cvandonderen   
Sat Mar 01 2014, 09:20pm
I just checked properly, and I think the speakers behind the rear seats are just broken. Is there an easy way to check if the wiring is faulty, or the speakers? And what amount off Watt should the speakers be?
The stock JBL ones are in there now I think, is there a part number for those?
C6Dave   
Sun Mar 02 2014, 07:52am

Member No: #1
cvandonderen wrote ...

The stock JBL ones are in there now I think, is there a part number for those?

Part numbers are in the technical guides section - Click Here -
Website
ChrisHunter   
Sun Mar 02 2014, 04:34pm
Member No: #188
it's a while since we checked, but ISTR our rear speakers were so quiet we were going to investigate, but we never have ...

(our radio being used pretty-much only as a TA device)
cvandonderen   
Mon Mar 03 2014, 07:33pm
Just took one of the speakers out. It looks fine to me.
I hope it's a fuse then and not the amp, but I have some issues reading the electrical diagram. Any ideas where I should look/which fuse to replace?
travlician   
Mon Mar 03 2014, 09:30pm
Member No: #350
In both options (JBL, non JBL) there is only one amplifier driving the loudspeakers, so if front is working it's not a fuse. By the way, these speakers seem to be the sub-woofers in the back (behind the rear seats). These will only produce low frequency sounds so won't be that obvious to hear!
cvandonderen   
Tue Mar 04 2014, 06:33am
Thanks, I figured that out already, but I was still expecting to heard something, and I find it weird that with loudness correction on the sound in the rear is around 50% of what you get in the front, at least, that doesn't seem normal.
e3steve   
Tue Mar 04 2014, 07:49pm
Member No: #1163
You could gently test the drivers' cone excursion by manually moving the cones in & out on their suspensions. They should move easily and with no scraping noises.

Also, check the voice coils with an ohmmeter; a reading of 3-5 ohms is normal. Open circuit would indicate a blown voice coil winding.

If the drivers check out ok, then fade the sound all the way to the rear (with the drivers still disconnected) and play a loud track at about a level of 20 on the volume graph then measure the AC voltage at the speaker connectors; you should see a transient voltage (on lower-midrange and bass notes) of up to around 2VAC. That would indicate that the amplifier is outputting audio.
spbmssen   
Wed Mar 05 2014, 12:39pm
Member No: #1470
Can I ask if you are perceiving the volume difference by sitting in the front? Most of the perceived volume of the system comes from the tweeters which are VERY directional. The rear tweeters, for instance, sound very muffled and down in perceived volume when heard from the front of the car (i.e. with the Fader set to rear only).
Get out and sit in the back, however, and it sounds perfect.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club