C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Suspension DEAD !!!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Disco300   
Tue Feb 18 2014, 06:05pm
Member No: #1123
Hi guys its been ages since I last posted which I guess means I've had a decent length of trouble free motoring.

All that has now changed .... last week I was out in the C6 and received a "Suspension Fault" message with the "don't exceed 50mph" advisory.

The next day I hooked up Lexia to see if I could narrow down the cause of the fault and was advised as follows :-

C1141 Fault front body height sensor
C1146 Fault rear body height sensor
U1118 Fault: absence of communication with the Built-in System Interface
U1205 Fault: absence of communication with the steering wheel angle sensor
U1118 Fault: absence of communication with the Build-in System interface

The steering wheel angle sensor fault has been present ever since I bought the car and hasn't caused any other apparent problems other than the directional lights not functioning.

I cleared all faults and attempted to actuate front and rear through Lexia but nothing happened at all. I managed to get the suspension to react to a "drop to access height" command but that's as much as I've been able to do. I can't lift the suspension from the bump stops now to get it to a garage and there is no indication that the pump is doing anything at all. A local guy put a circuit tester over it and said there was no power being received at the pump and also confirmed that all fuses situated in the fuse box under the bonnet and in the glove box were working correctly.

I've since put the car back on Lexia, and although there is obviously a fault somewhere, Lexia is only reporting the steering angle sensor fault but nothing else at all.

I'm in a mess as I can't get the car to the local stealer as it's at the 5mph height and I don't know any local Citroen experts who could take a look at it on my drive.

Any advice would be gratefully received or if anyone knows of a switched on suspension genius in the Crewe area of Cheshire that would be so helpful.

Thanks in avance !!!
C6Dave   
Tue Feb 18 2014, 06:47pm

Member No: #1
Have you tested the battery?

Without sufficient power from it, nothing will work.
Website
travlician   
Tue Feb 18 2014, 07:09pm
Member No: #350
Maybe too obvious, but is there sufficient LDS in the reservoir? Pump stops working after about a minute if the car is not reaching its height and that comes with the error messages about the height sensors. Strange though that these messages do not appear again. I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see what that does.
rogerandoutman   
Wed Feb 19 2014, 05:36pm
Member No: #466
If there is no power to the pump, your 40 amp maxi fuse may have blown, there are previous threads on this on the site. It happened to me, the LDS was low, have replaced fuse using flying leads with 50 amp and filled tank to correct level and had no further problems and now back to 40 amp fuse.

The maxi fuse is under the fuse and connector panel in the front fuse compartment to the right of the engine. you have to remove the connectors, on the top plate and then remove the circuit board to expose the maxi fuses.

Disconnect the battery prior to doing this and remove the negative cable within the compartment before commencing the job
Disco300   
Sun Feb 23 2014, 02:04pm
Big thanks for the time you took to reply guys, I really am grateful.

Update, "rogerandoutman" you were absolutely right, I stripped the fuse box today and the maxi fuse had blown but sadly so did the replacement 40 amp so I took your advice and installed a 50 amp as a temporary measure but this immediately blew also

I'm still stuck with a C6 which I can't drive to the stealers and I'm unable to find a mobile mechanic with the necessary know how.

Although reluctant to do so, I'm considering advertising it with the fault and cutting my losses

Prior to doing this I'd like to shout out to anyone who knows a mobile guy in the Crewe area who could take a look at it. The car is perfect in every other respect but totally unusable as it stands.

One more time .... THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.
C6Dave   
Sun Feb 23 2014, 02:09pm

Looks like there's a fault on the pump motor then if the fuse blew at 50 amp.

Only way your going to move it is to get it recovered......
Website
rogerandoutman   
Sun Feb 23 2014, 04:30pm
If you trawl through this site you will find several threads where someone replaced the motor only. I think the motor and pump are the same as a C5. New pumps and motor are around £950 A company bba-reman supply a rebuilt unit for the C5 and could recon your pump for around £300 their number is 0208 8748 6593 or check out the web site. BH motors in Welwyn quoted me around £300 to fit the pump, but you also need a new high pressure pipe.

I think it is usually the motor that fails, not the hydraulic pump, but thats only my supposition
Disco300   
Sun Feb 23 2014, 07:54pm
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll contact BH Motors over the next couple of days but rogerandoutman can you remember if that price was for the supply and fitting of the motor or both pump and motor ?
Hattershaun   
Sun Feb 23 2014, 09:35pm
Member No: #320
A minor correction, to help out. Rather than 'BH Motors' it's actually
B.L.Autos, owned by Barry Lowdell, with his brother & sons.
- Click Here -. They are in Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire.

They work on my cars and are a good bunch with excellent knowledge and skills.

Robert has just bought a faulty C6 that had overheated and last week pulled the engine out, replaced the warped cylinder heads and various other components, it's now all back together and running very nicely.

cruiserphil   
Mon Feb 24 2014, 11:34am

Member No: #38
Thanks for the photos Hattershaun!

Not so scary out on the floor is it?

Regards,

Phil C.
cruiserphil   
Mon Feb 24 2014, 11:38am

Member No: #38
Don,

Best of luck with the repair! They're an awkward lump when they're sitting on the ground. Keep the faith, it's worth it, if that's any help!

Regards,

Phil C.
gmerry   
Mon Feb 24 2014, 12:45pm
Member No: #21
Wasn't there a recent post explaining how to change the pump motor (only) in-situ without removing the hydraulic end???

In situtations like this, a plug in handpump plus Lexia overides would be handy.

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Mon Feb 24 2014, 01:06pm

This one - Click Here - G?
Website
gmerry   
Mon Feb 24 2014, 03:53pm
Member No: #21
Hi Dave, that was indeed the post.

To summarise from esteve's post, the motor not the pump was dead.

To separate the motor from the pump, remove front bumper to gain access.

It is possible to installa a new motor without messing with the hydraulics.

The motor from a C5 is compatible (Series II C5????)

A motor is a lot cheaper than a motor/pump unit.

Regards
G
rogerandoutman   
Mon Feb 24 2014, 10:54pm
stand corrected, B&L labour only £300 so fitting remanufactured pump plus labour would probably be around £1,000
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club