C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Rear Spoiler With Mind of Its Own

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Bishop   
Wed Jan 15 2014, 05:34pm
Member No: #868
Dear All, the rear spoiler has been up and down like a fiddler's elbow over recent weeks, and with what seems to be increasing frequency. So, I drive down to the shops, get out the car and it's in the extreme elevation position (I must have maxxed at 29 MPH). It then retracts after the doors have self locked. I then get to a round about and notice that it has elevated (again, having gone no where near the trigger speeds of 78 MPH), a few minutes later and I again notice it has retrated itself. Has anyone had a similar phenomenon? It's not a problem really, I am just curious as to whether it is a precursor to a more permanent problem?
C6Dave   
Wed Jan 15 2014, 06:01pm

Member No: #1
There is another thread on miss behaving spoilers and I think, it was related to a speed sensor?
Website
magicands   
Wed Jan 15 2014, 06:22pm
Member No: #1021
Well its not the motor or the fact that the iron work is seizing. I like Dave suspect a faulty speed sensor or perhaps some damp has got into the system somewhere.
Wait until warmer weather & see if it cures?

Website
DiscoBison   
Fri Jan 17 2014, 03:06pm
Member No: #989
I had a similar problem recently, and was simply cured by ensuring the spoiler hinges and sliders were adequately lubricated.

I believe the seemingly random full elevation of the spoiler is due to it's anti-pinch feature, designed stop fingers getting trapped or the motor burning out due to some obstruction. If it attempts to go to full close from the mid position and there is any resistance it triggers the anti-pinch feature. This puts the spoiler into fully deployed mode.

I fully stripped my bootlid lining to understand how the spoiler works. The motor is simply a Webasto sunroof motor driving two flexible plastic toothed strips. These strips pass through the bootlid and move the sliders visible when the spoiler is in the up position. The motor looked identical to sunroof motors used in other PSA cars from a quick glance on ebay. Might be a cheap alternative for a replacement motor if required.

As it turned out just lubricating the exterior components of the spoiler did the trick for me.
gmerry   
Fri Jan 17 2014, 03:25pm
Member No: #21
DiscoBison, I tried the Say Thanks but my server stopped me on this.

I lubricated the slider and hinges when the car was only 14 months old and have never had any problems whatsoever. So it would appear any problems are just down to lack of maintenance

Thanks for the explanation
G
cruiserphil   
Fri Jan 17 2014, 06:37pm

Member No: #38
DiscoBison,

I second G's thanks. Very helpful post.

Regards,

Phil C.
Bishop   
Tue Jan 21 2014, 12:21pm
Member No: #868
likewise - thanks to all, very helpful
jacktherev   
Tue Jan 21 2014, 10:24pm
Member No: #1423
gmerry can I ask what you lubricated the slider with please?
gmerry   
Tue Jan 21 2014, 10:49pm
Member No: #21
Lubrication was via a general spray with Bilt Hamber Ferrosol over mechanism and a wipe of Castrol CL Grease (or whatever you use for the door hinges and bonnet lock).

The CL grease is soft and water resistant.

Regards
G
smihaialex   
Thu Jan 23 2014, 09:46am
Member No: #1031
CL stands for Calciul and Lithium... I use the same thing but marketed by Total as LiCa Grease and found it very very effective, even if a bit messy :P

I highly recommend it.

Cheers,
Sam

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club