Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Super Sticky

DPFs and MoTs from February 2014

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
C6Dave   
Tue Jan 14 2014, 03:55pm

Member No: #1
Tests for diesel cars and lorries are to be tightened up to ensure vehicles have a critical exhaust filter if one had originally been fitted as standard, UK Roads Minister Robert Goodwill has announced.

Garages and testing stations will be required check for a diesel particulate filter ( DPF) in the inspection of the exhaust system as part of the MOT test (or annual test for heavy vehicles) from February 2014.

The vehicle will automatically fail the MOT test if the filter had been fitted as standard but is found to be no longer present.

The filter works by trapping solid particulate matter from exhaust gases. This type of filter has been in use for more than 20 years and helps meet European emission standards, improving air quality and health standards.

Some firms offer services to remove the filter, claiming it will improve the economy. But it is an offence to drive a vehicle that has been modified this way, as it will no longer meet the emissions standards the car achieved when it was approved for sale in the UK.

Roads Minister Robert Goodwill said:

I am very concerned that vehicles are being modified in a way that is clearly detrimental to people’s health and undoes the hard work car manufacturers have taken to improve emissions standards. It has become apparent the government had to intervene to clarify the position on particulate filter removal given the unacceptable negative impact on air quality.

This change to the MOT tests makes it clear – if you have this filter removed from your car it will fail the test.

The filters need to be ‘regenerated’ regularly through burning the soot to gas at a very high temperature, leaving behind a residue. If not carried out properly, regeneration can lead to a build up of soot, which can affect performance. This has led to some diesel vehicle owners opting to remove the filter, which makes their car illegal for road use.

Read it online: - Click Here -

I suspect, but cannot confirm that the rules will apply EU wide.

As it is now an offence to drive a vehicle that has been modified this way, (without a DPF if it was fitted with one from the factory), C6owners cannot support any adverts or posts for those offering removal services.
Website
speedfix   
Tue Jan 14 2014, 08:57pm
Member No: #1043
I suspect that the start of VOSA mot testing visible procedure with the dpf will not stay for very long.
All angles will be covered for the illegaly removal of the dpf soon after.

Imo the use of obd sofware to check the car regen will be used, removal of dpf stops this check from taking place result [fail].

For those that remove or blank the EGR valve this has been covered since 2000 law under the Road Vehicle [construction and use]regulations [amendment no3 2000]
This imo will also be a fail!

- Click Here -
travlician   
Wed Jan 15 2014, 12:58am
Member No: #350
We still can discuss PDF removal if EU members will be so kind not to participate
C6Dave   
Wed Jan 15 2014, 08:32am

travlician wrote ...

We still can discuss PDF removal if EU members will be so kind not to participate

Which is why I left the thread open
Website
BruceB   
Wed Jan 15 2014, 12:57pm
Member No: #234
C6Dave wrote ...
Which is why I left the thread open

Does that mean that we will no longer be able to discuss speeding, parking on yellow lines, eating/drinking/smoking at the wheel or even shooting people who make sarcastic remarks or look at us 'funny'?
C6Dave   
Wed Jan 15 2014, 01:10pm

Bruce, the last para of my initial post is quite clear, or so I thought, so really don't understand why you felt the need to make the comment that you have
Website
gmerry   
Wed Jan 15 2014, 01:29pm
Member No: #21
Hi Speedfix, I'm inclined to agree with your comment if I have interpreted it correctly: the covers under the C6 would make visual inspection for the presence of the DPF difficult, hence some other functional method might be needed.

It would however be a very bad move to force a static regeneration of the DPF as part of the MOT procedure, its bad enough that they rev the clappers off the engine for the current smoke test.

Regards
G
speedfix   
Wed Jan 15 2014, 09:33pm
Member No: #1043
Have put the word in now [check] makes more sense in the posting above.
BruceB   
Thu Jan 16 2014, 07:21am
Member No: #234
C6Dave wrote ...
Bruce, the last para of my initial post is quite clear, or so I thought, so really don't understand why you felt the need to make the comment that you have
Simply because it presented the opportunity to have a mild chuckle. Ah well, I often sit here stone-faced when others add side-slapping, laughing-like-a-drain emoticons to their posts, so I shouldn't be surprised when something I find funny falls flatter than a very skinny hedgehog under an artic.
Trainman   
Thu Jan 16 2014, 09:56am

Member No: #86
BruceB wrote ...

C6Dave wrote ...
Simply because it presented the opportunity to have a mild chuckle. Ah well, I often sit here stone-faced when others add side-slapping, laughing-like-a-drain emoticons to their posts, so I shouldn't be surprised when something I find funny falls flatter than a very skinny hedgehog under an artic.

Now that did make me chuckle

I'm so glad I decided to change the defective dpi last year
e3steve   
Sun Mar 09 2014, 01:51pm
Member No: #1163
BruceB wrote ...

C6Dave wrote ...
I have to admit that I did see Bruce's comment as a bit of a "Clarkson" moment

And on that bombshell......

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club