Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Super Sticky

C6 Suspension 'Pitching'

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
C6Dave   
Wed Jan 06 2010, 11:26pm

Member No: #1
michaelb wrote ...

Interesting. I wonder did he have both cars at the same suspension height setting. I've noticed when you raise the car the front-to-back pitching is much more pronounced.

There is a software update available for the suspension, but only IF you complain

Have a read of: - Click Here -

Website
tonyrome   
Thu Jan 07 2010, 01:38pm
Member No: #15
C6Dave wrote ...
There is a software update available for the suspension, but only IF you complain

I'll see if I can get the dealer to do this
verycleverman   
Fri Mar 19 2010, 12:44am
Member No: #65
I had a complete software download done a few months ago, my dealer's way of admitting he was unable to fix my ongoing cruise control problem. The download included navigation, engine, gearbox and suspension.

I must admit that I didn't notice any difference in the powertrain but the suspension was a massive improvement. Most of the pitching and wallowing had gone and the car handled a lot better on long bends.

I was instructed by the 'technician' to report the gearchange as jerky in order to justify the download under warranty! The navigation wasn't updated as the software version I had obtained from the EV2 forum was a later version than the one the dealer had!

Pete.
David Hallworth   
Mon Apr 19 2010, 12:16pm

Member No: #90
My car is in today at the dealers and one of the things I reported was the pitching of the suspension.

Is there any way to tell if this update has been done?

David.
C6Dave   
Mon Apr 19 2010, 12:40pm

No a user can't tell. It should be recorded on the cars record with Citroen if it has been done.
Website
David Hallworth   
Mon Apr 19 2010, 02:04pm

Member No: #90
Shame, I was hoping with the Lexia I might be able to find out.

Oh well, will wait and see if it's any better when I get it back!

David.
C6Nikos   
Wed Jun 02 2010, 06:06pm
Member No: #132
Interesting...The suspension on mine seems to have several unusual traits, which I'd previously assumed were a trade-off against the ride quality. If the following is what other owners have experienced, hopefully this software mod can fix them:

1) An alarming tendency to pitch backwards and forwards in fast-ish bends.

2) A slightly "floaty" feeling at speed over gentle dips and crests - almost as if the suspension is slightly under-damped. This goes away if I put it into Sport mode.

3) A tendency to wobble from side to side when encountering a sharp bump, or pothole, at medium speeds (40-50mph).

Thank goodness for owners' forums!
gmerry   
Wed Jun 02 2010, 07:57pm
Member No: #21
C6Nikos, the wobble from side to side over sharp bumps etc, is totally absent when running on 17" rimns with 225/55 tyes regards (winter wheels and tyres)

Regards
G
Quentin   
Mon Jun 07 2010, 12:33pm
Member No: #141
The side-to-side wobble is (I think) a side-effect of the stiff side-walls on original-fit Michelins. Mine used to do this (at the rear, specifically) but stopped as soon as I fitted Goodyears (which are also lots quieter). I was worried, as it seemed a bit of a basic thing to have got wrong, but there you go - blame Michelin rather than the suspension design (usually works for me).
C6Nikos   
Wed Jun 09 2010, 07:13pm
Member No: #132
I've got Pirelli PZero Rossos and I still get the wobble. Could it be anything to do with the 100Y rating creating a stiffer sidewall, perhaps?
capt109   
Wed Jun 09 2010, 09:45pm
Member No: #47
I think that the ride is different on my newer car, it may need the software update.

After the bushes on the roll bars have been changed on my current car, if feels a lot more stable and not as loose.
tonyrome   
Thu Jun 10 2010, 06:41am
Member No: #15
Quentin wrote ...
The side-to-side wobble is (I think) a side-effect of the stiff side-walls on original-fit Michelins. Mine used to do this (at the rear, specifically) but stopped as soon as I fitted Goodyears

The only problem is that strengthened sidewalls are specified by Citroen for the C6, which is a very heavy car! You may end up with other problems if you fit tyres which don't meet the necessary specification.
Quentin   
Thu Jun 17 2010, 11:55am
Member No: #141
I think sidewall stiffness varies between tyre types and makes, independent of load rating. I have the correct "extra load" 100-rated tyres on mine. Michelins are not necessarily the best tyres to stick on, despite the feeling amongst some people that they must be best as they are original equipment. I would judge that the current Goodyears (EfficientGrip, there's a name for you) are definitely better than the previous Michelins: quieter, more compliant and not prone to "skipping" sideways over road defects.

A quick squizz at any of the tyre fora or testing websites will reveal lots of information about construction, compounds, behaviour and longevity: it soon becomes obvious what variation there is.

It's a shame that Citroen dealers and mechanics I've met are rarely interested in or expert on tyres, offering "budget", "mid-range" or "premium" as if price-point was all there was to it.

Buying tyres (at C6 tyre prices) is a gamble, and one that lasts for 20,000-odd miles, so it pays to do some homework. Personally, I have a soft spot for Vredesteins, which suited my XM really well.
C6Dave   
Thu Jun 17 2010, 12:38pm

Quentin, have a read of: - Click Here -

I suspect that a lot of the handling complaints are to do with the tyre walls failing on Michelins.
Website
droom   
Sat Jul 31 2010, 07:28am
Member No: #182
booked 2008 C6 2.7HDi in the other day for suspension issues (pitching) and dealer applied latest software fix issued by Citroen UK. Must say that there is a substantial improvement in ride quality and the car doesn't 'pitch' as much at speed on motorways
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club